Changes in Celebrity's Dining Room in September?

negc

I will not pay $30 to cook my own steak at the lawn club, I'm on vacation, whomever thought of this is out to make more money!!!!!!!!!

Dh and I just returned from a free cooking (smoking) class by private invitation from a well known competitor that has been featured on the food channel. From 9am to 5pm we smoked everything from ribs, brisket, chicken, and learned many recipes and secrets, ate all we wanted, took home the leftovers. It was an amazing day, all for free!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No thank you Celebrity, We have paid our fare, and expect to be fed!!!

Does anyone know if the MDR menu will remain the same? Meaning that the left side will be offered every night as is?

Thanks

I will not pay $30 to cook my own steak at the lawn club, I'm on vacation, whomever thought of this is out to make more money!!!!!!!!!

Dh and I just returned from a free cooking (smoking) class by private invitation from a well known competitor that has been featured on the food channel. From 9am to 5pm we smoked everything from ribs, brisket, chicken, and learned many recipes and secrets, ate all we wanted, took home the leftovers. It was an amazing day, all for free!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know if the MDR menu will remain the same? Meaning that the left side will be offered every night as is?

Thanks

For many, this would be like being at home....I am one of them since I often cook on the grill and have a smoker as well. But there are many folks who find this different and are willing to pay for the experience. If you live in Manhattan or London, you probably don't grill that much.....

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ed, hope you are doing well:). Looks like we are both sailing soon:D

We might end up being the first folks to find out first hand what changes

JVS was referring to unless someone getting home from a very recent

cruise has some very current information.

We shall see;)

Hi Lois. Gail and I are fine and getting very excited about this upcoming cruise on the Constellation. It looks like we have a great roll call going and this will be a fun itinerary with some new ports for us. Glad to hear that you're doing well also and still looking forward to all of us ending up on the same ship at the same time.

Who knows what the changes will be, I guess that's what "inquiring minds want to know".

BTW, I can spell "September".......

Ed ( bitten by the dreaded TYPO bug)

any updates on the MDR menu changes?

a little bird told me to expect a greater "celebrity classics" selection with added "daily specials" that can include fresh items brought onboard the ports of call...

Also the Ipad will gradually be introduced (ship by ship, starting with the Infinity) to choose your dishes, the description will include ingredients used and a picture of the dish.

Better food quality--back to the basics--that's what we would like to see..

all these gimmicks are just that--& add nothing to a dining experience. Serving tacos with a mortar & pestle as mentioned in the posted article does not thirill us!! !

when hearing about these ideas I agree that the old automat comes to mind as does school cafeteria. Also giving your order to the clown sign at the drive through...

We enjoy dining for the traditional service, excellent food and ambiance, not someone else's "out there" ideas! Hope BLU will stay the same..they have already deleted our favorite- Silk Harvest from the newer ships--too bad.

Building on the relationship with Apple and Celebrity, including the iPad in this discussion seems to be a recurring theme.

Now, not to try to sound like one of the irritating "bean counters" charged with decreasing costs wherever they can..., but wouldn't providing an iPad for use in the dining room by all 2000+ passengers on a vessel be rather costly?

Maintaining them, keeping them clean, and teaching passengers how to use them, would all take time away from other waiter duties.

Jus' thinkin' off the top of my head, here....

CM

Count us in the skeptic crowd. Over the past thirty years we have found that most cruise line changes seem to be things that add to the bottom line of the cruise line. We get all these alternative restaurants where we now have to pay extra for the kind of food we used to get in the MDR on many lines. We have special areas on deck where we can choose to pay for deck chairs to get us away from the masses. Of course those masses have been created by the cruise lines as they build bigger and bigger ships. A friend of ours recently said that he thought the only real improvement in cruising in the past forty years has been the private balconies.

Hank

Interesting thought. We're on the Connie in September and have actually gone from Select Dining back to Traditional Late Seating because of the bad experience with Select on the Equinox TA last fall. Hope they tell us soon what the changes are, we sail September 7th and will be away from home from the 31st.

Hmmmmm.......

We are on the Equinox in Sept. and are late dining but we're hoping to change to select dining. Is this a bad idea? Thanks!

Thanks

Your right you will not pay $30 to cook your own steak, it's $40

We are on the Equinox in Sept. and are late dining but we're hoping to change to select dining. Is this a bad idea? Thanks!

a bad idea??? No, it's an outstanding idea, if you can make the change. We love the flexibility of eating when we like...and the early seating is just too early and late seating is too late so select works out perfectly. We've used select on the eclipse and the century and it's terrific....it's the only way we book now.

Count us in the skeptic crowd. Over the past thirty years we have found that most cruise line changes seem to be things that add to the bottom line of the cruise line. We get all these alternative restaurants where we now have to pay extra for the kind of food we used to get in the MDR on many lines. We have special areas on deck where we can choose to pay for deck chairs to get us away from the masses. Of course those masses have been created by the cruise lines as they build bigger and bigger ships. A friend of ours recently said that he thought the only real improvement in cruising in the past forty years has been the private balconies.

Hank

This thread really needs a "LIKE" button.

Who gets the iPads, waiter or passenger? If it is the passenger you have about 1000 per seating so you need 1000 iPads @ $375 or so cost equals $375,000 big ones. I can't see any cruise line spending like this to order dinner, no big deal. What's next, a speaker at each table, "Good evening, may I take your order? Would you like it super sized?"

Whatever it is I bet it won't be free!

Hopefully we will all be presented with an ipad as I read somewhere that onboard credit is not going to be around for much longer!

I don't understand- what kind of onboard credit woudn't be available? Surely it would not be to the cruiseline's best interest to make us pay cash! We'd actually think about what we were spending, perish the thought!

I like the idea of a left side menu with fresh, local ingredients! That would be awesome. (and hopefully free!)

Archived