Alaska Inside Passage Volendam or Zuiderdam

triplestar

We are looking at the 2 Cruises offered for the Inside Passage,but unsure which is the better choice of ship. We travelled on the Noordam this Summer & I was pleasantly suprised by how uncrowded it felt despite being full. We usually travel on Azamara or Oceania, much smaller ships.I would be more than happy to travel on the Noordam class of ship again, but some of the reviews for the Zuiderdam have stated how tired & in need of an upgrade it is. The Volendam is smaller,but balcony cabins are more expensive.I would love to hear from anyone who has travelled on either or both recently.

Unless HAL has made changes, these two ships have the same itinerary, but leave on different days. The Volendam has a Wednesday departure, which is easier in Vancouver at both ends of the cruise. There are also fewer people sharing the various ports with you.

When I had to make the same choice, I chose the Volendam. I prefer that size ship over the too-large-for-me Vista class. This ship has plenty of outdoor space from which to enjoy panoramic views. Many of those spaces are sheltered from Alaska's famous "liquid sunshine", too.

Take a look at what ships will be sharing ports, how many passengers are on those ships, and if flights to/from have a different price.

All else being equal, you really can't go wrong with either ship.

We are looking at the 2 Cruises offered for the Inside Passage,but unsure which is the better choice of ship. We travelled on the Noordam this Summer & I was pleasantly suprised by how uncrowded it felt despite being full. We usually travel on Azamara or Oceania, much smaller ships.I would be more than happy to travel on the Noordam class of ship again, but some of the reviews for the Zuiderdam have stated how tired & in need of an upgrade it is. The Volendam is smaller,but balcony cabins are more expensive.I would love to hear from anyone who has travelled on either or both recently.

My parents recently returned from the Zuiderdam. They had bad weather and rough seas for a good portion of the cruise and were cooped up inside a fair bit. They said that it did often feel crowded, especially in the Lido and Crow's Nest. They wanted to go to cooking demos and some other activities but often found it packed and ended up leaving. I think the weather kept people confined to the same indoor spaces more than normal. They had no complaints about the condition of the ship and otherwise enjoyed themselves.

We are booked on the Zuiderdam for next August ourselves, but have seriously been contemplating switching to the Volendam. We can't control the weather but if there's a chance that we're going to be cooped up inside as much as my parents were, we'd rather that it be with fewer people!

We had the same choice this year and chose Zuiderdam because leaving on a Sat we only had to use six vacation days from work instead of 9 - 10. Also, we prefered the larger ship. A smaller ship is not necessarily less crowded. We did not feel crowded on Zuiderdam even on a sea day with liquid sunshine.

I like the fact that Vista ships, like the Zuiderdam, have an additional category of staterooms between balcony and deluxe suites--the SS/Y/Z. Deluxe suites are 2x the size of a normal cabin; SSs are 1 1/2 times the size. And often the price is in line with the cost of a balcony cabin on a smaller ship. Note: even though they are called "suites," they do not have the perks of a deluxe suites (there is a telephone concierge).

I would choose the Volendam. It's a perfect-size ship, and the mid-week departure makes for smoother embarkation/disembarkation (less busy at the terminal), plus less busy in the ports. I love the Volendam, my favourite ship (so far:))

I would choose the Volendam. It's a perfect-size ship, and the mid-week departure makes for smoother embarkation/disembarkation (less busy at the terminal), plus less busy in the ports. I love the Volendam, my favourite ship (so far:))

I absolutely agree.

triple star,

The direct flight from Auckland to Vancouver, makes a cruise from Vancouver easy to access.

I agree.

I was on both and I think the Volendam is a perfect size ship.

For Alaska -- I would chose by itinerary.

Which one has the better itinerary for You?

I also look for longer times in port.

We have been on both and loved each of them with some cabin next door "smoking" problems on the Voledam. That being said and with the points made above, if the "tired" issued on the Zuiderdam are critical... that ship isn't having a 10 day "dry dock" until Nov, 2012. But on an Alaskan cruise I have always spent my time enjoying the view and balcony is a must for me on that cruise almost more than any other, particularly when cruising Misty Fjord or Glacier Bay or behind Vancouver Island, or on open seas (whales migrating, etc). So if money is concern take Zuiderdam and have a balcony... the view will be the same from both decks.

We had the same choice this year and chose Zuiderdam because leaving on a Sat we only had to use six vacation days from work instead of 9 - 10. Also, we prefered the larger ship. A smaller ship is not necessarily less crowded. We did not feel crowded on Zuiderdam even on a sea day with liquid sunshine.

That was our experience, too, last year. I haven't sailed on Volendam, so I can't comment on that ship.

We just got off the Zuiderdam today.We had a lot of rain,but never felt that the ship was crowded.After reading all the complaints about the Zuiderdam I was a little concerned about it looking tired.The people that have complained must be really picky.The ship was in great shape both in the public areas and the cabins.I was even looking for something to be wrong and honestly I could not find anything.The crew was very friendly and cleaning and polishing was always going on.I plan to write a review this week.

• 1 month later...

I am planning to visit Alaska in Summer of 2012, and will likely be travelling with the Volendam. I have read mainly good reviews, it sounds wonderful!

- Any opinions on good Inside Cabins on the ship? We hope to find a large interior cabin.

- What month in the summer is generally best to visit Alaska? (good weather, wildlife, not too busy at the ports, few mosquitos, plenty of daylight) --- I know this is a difficult question to answer, but any opinions would be helpful!

Any opinions on good Inside Cabins on the ship? We hope to find a large interior cabin.

Most of the "large" inside cabins are identical in size and configuration. All are more than adequate size. There are a few that have a more square shape, rather than rectangular. Those are even larger, with a very different configuration. Again, more than adequate.

I would pick one that's between the forward and aft elevator banks, to minimize any possible motion problems. Personally, I usually pick an inside on Lower Promenade, between the forward and mid-ship elevators. My other favorite cabin is a K-category immediately mid-ship on Main Deck.

Do not, under any circumstances, select a "standard" inside. Those cabins could more accurately be termed "cabinette".

We chose the Volendam for our first HAL cruise and it was the inside passage last August 24. We chose the cruise because it left from Vancouver so did the true "inside passage" rather than Seattle that usually sails the Pacific side of Vancouver Island. We also didn't have to waste a day in Victoria (sorry, this is my opinion). Then the choice, once we chose HAL for other reasons that surprised everyone as we had 2 kids with us, was between the same two ships.

We chose an inside cabin (sleeps 4) on the Main deck of the Volendam, cabin 2664. Why? Because we loved leaving on Wednesday and we were the only ship in two of the 3 ports! It was heaven!! We never felt crowded, the kids LOVED Club HAL, and we could always find a seat where we wanted to be. The cabin was large enough for the 4 of us and our 2 weeks of clothes (1 week vacation before) including formal wear. We enjoyed every inch of the ship except the show lounges where we never set foot.

We really enjoyed the Volendam and I wrote up a detailed reveiw if you want to read further. We left the ship at 8:30 and were in the airport in Vancouver by 9:30 including C&I and taxi.

Alaska is spectacular and some of our best photos were not on sunny days. Know before you go and pack well and you will enjoy every second no matter which ship you choose.

I would pick one that's between the forward and aft elevator banks, to minimize any possible motion problems. Personally, I usually pick an inside on Lower Promenade, between the forward and mid-ship elevators. My other favorite cabin is a K-category immediately mid-ship on Main Deck.

Do not, under any circumstances, select a "standard" inside. Those cabins could more accurately be termed "cabinette".

Great suggestions, thank you!

Thanks everyone for your opinions. From what I have read, the Volendam is a wonderful ship.....and it sounds like a cruise to Alaska is one of those unforgettable trips!!

On Zaandam, I have had a Lower promenade K cabin just aft of the mid-ship staircase. It was certainly roomy enough for two people, had easy access to outside and was centrally located for everything else on the ship. The bathroom is shower only, no tub.

For my Alaska cruises, I've taken Zuiderdam twice but haven't had the pleasure of going on Volendam. The extra vacation days needed to take a Wed. / Wed. cruise always steered me toward Zuiderdam instead. I thoroughly enjoyed both cruises on MS Z (it was Alaska afterall so what could make it anything but spectacular :)). But after reading all these glowing recommendations of Volendam, I'll seriously consider her for my 2012 Alaska adventure.

I like the idea of having fewer ships in ports. There were so many in Juneau when we were there in July, we had to tender. It was easy to do but I would have preferred to have been docked. Has anyone ever had to tender to a port in Alaska while on Volendam?

I like the idea of having fewer ships in ports. There were so many in Juneau when we were there in July, we had to tender. It was easy to do but I would have preferred to have been docked. Has anyone ever had to tender to a port in Alaska while on Volendam?

Not during this just completed Alaska season! Volendam frequently spent the day in Ketchikan with Island Princess or Seven Seas Mariner, in Skagway with Island Princess and in Juneau with Norwegian Star, Seven Seas Navigator and/or Crystal Symphony. No need for tendering!

Archived