Has anyone ever had their reserved HAL cruise chartered?

karatemom2

Yes, my special occasion group of 62 got bumped from Eurodam Oct 29 of next year. Spent two months working out the details with HAL.

Still waiting to hear from management. We shall see how they choose to handle this. :confused:

I've only been on a few cruises, and never knew this could happen?

What does management do in these cases?

How are you wanting them to handle this?

Just trying to learn something

Thanks

I would much rather have a booked cruise cancelled and swiitch to another date because my cruise has been chartered than arrive to sail and find my ship has a large % of the pax belonging to one group. This happens occasionally and regular pax can often be treated like 2nd class citizens and outsiders- areas of the ship blocked from use at certain times such as Crow's Nest at cocktail hour, special Lido deck festivities for group members only, etc. Evening social venues often are taken over by the group even if unofficially not blocked for use by everyone.

It is more difficult to find out about these large groups beforehand. The cruiseline doesn't divulge the information because they are not having to cancel anyone's booking like when the whole ship is chartered and they know many people would cancel before final payment if they knew about it.

Thanks

Yes -- it can happen -- and has happened quite a few times on HAL ships the last few years.

Also -- and we have been involved in this several times recently -- HAL changes itineraries and has cancelled cruises that we were booked on!!

HAL gave us the choice of about 4 cruise dates for one of our cancelled cruises -- none of which suited us. Had we chosen a date we would have our cruise price locked (would not have had to pay the higher price) -- would have been given $50 per person shipboard credit -- but we would not have had the cabin that we wanted.

I would much rather have a booked cruise cancelled and swiitch to another date because my cruise has been chartered than arrive to sail and find my ship has a large % of the pax belonging to one group. This happens occasionally and regular pax can often be treated like 2nd class citizens and outsiders- areas of the ship blocked from use at certain times such as Crow's Nest at cocktail hour, special Lido deck festivities for group members only, etc. Evening social venues often are taken over by the group even if unofficially not blocked for use by everyone.

It is more difficult to find out about these large groups beforehand. The cruiseline doesn't divulge the information because they are not having to cancel anyone's booking like when the whole ship is chartered and they know many people would cancel before final payment if they knew about it.

I agree -- we have been on a couple of cruises where there were large groups -- one was about 800 people on a Vista class ship. A couple of times the Crow's Nest was closed down for their cocktail parties and social get-togethers.

I agree -- we have been on a couple of cruises where there were large groups -- one was about 800 people on a Vista class ship. A couple of times the Crow's Nest was closed down for their cocktail parties and social get-togethers.

That sounds terrible. We must have had a group on one of our cruises because a few times our favorite bar was closed for a private group. I understand the groups need space to get together but it is annoying when it happens multiple times. They should make the groups meet in the MDR (bring in a bar) when it isn't being used - that would have little impact on other passengers and the groups shouldn't mind - they are still getting together.

I understand at the end of the day, it's all about business rather than customer retention..... what bothers me since I'm new to cruising and just getting into the swing of it, is I found out about it on a discussion board before HAL contacted me to even ask if I would book on another date..... zero and I mean zero customer service from HAL.....

The thing that annoys me as someone who has booked this cruise and paid a deposit is that HAL has made no attempt to make sure those of us affected by this decision have any information. Universally on our roll call we have discovered that as of yesterday none of our TAs seemed aware of this. I only found out because my sister went to try to book the cruise and her TA called HAL to find out why she wasn't able to get a booking for my sister and was told the ship had been chartered.

That web site didn't get done overnight. This has obviously been in the works for awhile, yet HAL has not had the decency to let all of us with reservations know. Some people on our roll call have already paid for airfare! And even those of us who haven't still need to be able to make other plans. I am trying to coordinate a vacation with other family members. Now I'm booked, they can't book and we are all in limbo until HAL decides it's time to provide us with some options.

I must say this is my first experience with HAL and it may well be my last!

That sounds terrible. We must have had a group on one of our cruises because a few times our favorite bar was closed for a private group. I understand the groups need space to get together but it is annoying when it happens multiple times. They should make the groups meet in the MDR (bring in a bar) when it isn't being used - that would have little impact on other passengers and the groups shouldn't mind - they are still getting together.

Sadly they like to have their cocktail parties at times when other like to have cocktail parties.

Really couldn't use the dining room -- too many events in there -- wine tasting -- afternoon tea every day.

My husband and I are also booked on this cruise. In fact, 3 couples we met on a previous Holland America cruise are thinking of going with us and making it a "reunion" cruise. I wonder if HA will offer any compensation. We almost booked our airfare; glad we held off. I guess I'll wait to see what out TA says.

JONI

I understand at the end of the day, it's all about business rather than customer retention..... what bothers me since I'm new to cruising and just getting into the swing of it, is I found out about it on a discussion board before HAL contacted me to even ask if I would book on another date..... zero and I mean zero customer service from HAL.....

You have hit the nail on the head! After having sailed HAL five times, in the early winter of 2008, we booked a cruise for February in 2009 on what was then HAL's brand new Eurodam. We posted early on the roll call boards here on Cruise Critic and someone mentioned that the ship was about to be sold out to a group of cruisers with an "alternative life style." We called HAL several times and they denied that it was happening. Our travel agent called several times and again HAL was in denial. HAL finally admitted in April of 2008 that indeed the rest of the ship had been bought out by a group of gay and lesbian cruisers. I believe firmly in civil rights and have no problem with that. BUT we had no desire to be among the few straight folks on the ship. I am still to this day very angry with HAL for not coming forward. We were offered nothing in the way of compensation for our cancellation and have sailed five times on other lines since then.

My wife has pleaded with me to get over it and we have booked a cruise on the Noordam for January of next year. We do enjoy the HAL product and ambience of its ships. However, I still have a very sour taste in my mouth due to the way we were treated over three years ago.

I wonder if that might be the same organization that chartered the Amsterdam this summer. We were told that the two 7-night cruises at the end of July had been chartered by some religious people.

The Templeton group booked the Amsterdam for the July 22 - 29 cruise this year.

Don't know what happened to the other 7 days.

The Templeton group booked the Amsterdam for the July 22 - 29 cruise this year.

Don't know what happened to the other 7 days.

The 2011 remainder was a 7-day Inspiration Cruises charter. It was a Gaither Homecoming Cruise.

Further research for 2012, Inspiration Cruises has a "coming soon" page for a cruise with slightly different dates... July 14-21 sailing from Seattle. I wonder if they are working on the contract... and those dates will be updated to July 20-27 (speculation on my part). No ship is named yet on the page, so it could be with a different line entirely, but it does say "Alaska cruise."

More research... that Inspiration charter could take the Westerdam out of the line up for July 14-21.

Thanks

Just waiting and wondering if they are going to ignore me, blow me off, or offer come compensation for the issue.

I have worked with HAL very closely, almost 3 months straight to get all of the details, prices etc worked out. Who knew they had so many event packages etc for groups. Unlimited drink packages, HMC huge group gatherings. etc.

The menu they have of things to do for groups is HUGE.

The date is very signifigant and they knew it.

Just wondering what they will say when I finally hear from them.

Have not heard from them yet, found out it was confirmed chartered when a guest couldnt book.

We called HAL when we heard the rumor, they Denied, Denied, Denied, Same to TA.

I have a cruise Oct 29 with them, paid a pretty penny for a Deluxe Suite. wondering what they will say.

Our Event Planner was very apoligetic, (shes very awesome) shes been emailing me 3 times a week, saying shes still waiting to hear from mgmt. We shall see.

completely agree--we've experienced this and it definitely has an impact on what we've come to expect on cruises...

Just waiting and wondering if they are going to ignore me, blow me off, or offer come compensation for the issue.

I have worked with HAL very closely,

Just wondering what they will say when I finally hear

My question is... what are you expecting for compensation?

Will all others who were booked receive the same?

I have worked with HAL very closely, almost 3 months straight to get all of the details, prices etc worked out. Who knew they had so many event packages etc for groups. Unlimited drink packages, HMC huge group gatherings. etc.

The menu they have of things to do for groups is HUGE.

Just wondering what they will say when I finally hear from them.

Have not heard from them yet, found out it was confirmed chartered when a guest couldnt book.

We called HAL when we heard the rumor, they Denied, Denied, Denied, Same to TA.

I have a cruise Oct 29 with them, paid a pretty penny for a Deluxe Suite. wondering what they will say.

Our Event Planner was very apoligetic, (shes very awesome) shes been emailing me 3 times a week, saying shes still waiting to hear from mgmt. We shall see.

Amazing that they continue to deny when there is already a website up advertising the charter. How ridiculous is that!!

Just because a charter is advertised doesn't mean the group will meet its quota. In the meantime the cruise line will continue to take reservations. It's just business, not a personal attack on you.

Roz

Just because a charter is advertised doesn't mean the group will meet its quota. In the meantime the cruise line will continue to take reservations. It's just business, not a personal attack on you.

Roz

Well in this case they are NOT continuing to take reservations which is why some of us even found out as we have family who are trying to book and can't. We are trying to vacation with my sister and her family. They can't book. I am booked and in limbo. How is that fair? I didn't say it was a personal attack, just very shoddy customer service in my opinion.

How is it right that HAL has my $1200 deposit tied up on a cruise that they are selling out from under me and they are hedging their bets by hanging on to my reservation while trying to fill a charter. It may be "just business" but in my opinion it is a bad way for a reputable company to do business. My sister and I need to make plans. They are ready to book and now we don't know what to do. We are all on hold waiting for HAL to tell us what is up. Athough I'm disappointed, I don't fault them selling the charter as much as I fault the terrible lack of clear communication which is impeding my ability to pursue other options.

From what I understand -- the person in Seattle who told the client that the July 13 cruise was now a charter was never supposed to have mentioned that. It was a slip on that HAL employee as HAL has not notified all TA's and those who booked through HAL. It was to be announced once everyone was informed.

But sadly that didn't happen.

Archived