Really Starting to Wonder... Cruise or Not??

toberman

I've been reading lots and LOTS of boards - everything to do about cruising. We haven't been cruising long - 5 years, but I'm starting to get a little bored with it. We used to go to Islands for 1 or 2 weeks which gave us time to actually get to know the people, and the islands. On a ship you have, maybe 8 hours to 'look around'. Never really get to know anything.

What is it that makes people want to cruise sooooo much?? Guess we'll have to start liking 'ship life' a little more, but with the cut-backs they're making... ie No lunch in the MDR on shore days.. Is it just a home away from home with maid service??

It just sounds to me like you need a little something different. Why not try alternating cruising with land based vacation? We've only been on 3 cruises (with our 4th booked) and I don't think it will ever be our main mode of vacationing but for our winter getaway it has it's appeal.

For us our winter break is usually just a beach trip for a couple weeks. We got bored staying in one area for so long because there just wasn't that much to do in most beach destinations. We found that on the cruise at least we got to see a different beach everyday and sometimes an interesting town to explore

I don't really like to fly, so cruising is the best option for me. It is also pretty economical when you compare costs to a land based vacation. Add to that the constant view of the ocean, and a different port every day or so, and it really makes for a great vacation. That being said, as someone else pointed out, cruising is not for everyone.

We got bored staying in one area for so long because there just wasn't that much to do in most beach destinations. We found that on the cruise at least we got to see a different beach everyday and sometimes an interesting town to explore

I understand about going to different beaches, etc. But when we get off the ship.. First thing we want to do is go on a catamaran, or sailing vessel for 3 or 4 hours. Geez... we've just been on a ship for 2 days!!!:confused:

I'm really, really thinking here..... Find 2 or 3 other couples whom you 'sorta' like, and rent a sloop in USVI to sail for a week. Might work. :confused:

For me, I can be happy just kicking back and reading a chick lit book and then head off for a game of cut throat trivia. Without having to cook and clean. My hubby likes to be able to bring along his guitar and find a nice nook for him to play, while having an occasional passenger sitting by and listening. And he doesn't have to drive or do gardening while onboard. The ship is the destination for us. Not for everyone but then camping isn't for me.

For my upcoming East Mediterranean cruise, someone casually commented that it was a great way to get a taste of the areas without investing a lot of money or time in any one place that I might not like. I thought that made sense - use cruises to sort of scout places that you might like to visit more extensively later. I've known people who put just a ton of money into big trips to places that turn out to be different than what they'd expected (or hoped for).

Also, as to Europe right now, I honestly don't think I could afford to go there for 10 days. It is really really expensive. Looking around from a cruise ship might be the only way I get to do it.

But I think my logic works better for "city" cruises than beach cruises.

While I do love cruising, it's certainly not our only form of vacationing. It's a lovely way to get a "taste" of someplace you've never been or revisit someplace you enjoy....but you're right...a land-based trip really gives you more "in-depth" time!

For our land-based vacations, we get a much larger room (or condo), don't have to cook, and can do what we want, just like on a cruise....the only difference is we're in one place! If it's a place we enjoy, then all's good!

I got a little burnt out with cruising for a time. My solution was to do some far-flung, remote land-based trips (Africa) and that was so great and in my top 3 places visited thus far. However, a lot was involved in those trips. For example, a 24 -plus hours flight from Washington, DC to Johannesburg was a challenge! Anyway, after a couple of those kinds of trips that involved LONG plane rides and lots of planning, I was ready to do the relatively easy cruise experience again.

While it will never replace land-based only trips for me, cruising is a relaxing, easy way to check out places to which I will return for significantly longer, more intense land-based trips.

I'm really, really thinking here..... Find 2 or 3 other couples whom you 'sorta' like, and rent a sloop in USVI to sail for a week. Might work. :confused:

My DH isn't a cruiser at all, he much prefers a land vacation so we've done both. And as time goes by, I lean toward land-based too. If you consider renting a sloop, I would highly recommend the BVIs over the USVI. Google BVI and see much in the way of info for the area, bareboating, etc. It is pretty incredibly gorgeous. :)

for us its seeing as much as we can in a short time and going to places we never would have even thought about going...much would rather travel this way then going and staying somewhere for a week.

we always did road trips that way too....seeing as much and doing as much as we could in the amount of time and NOT just staying in one place!

cruising is anything but boring to us and we just want to SAIL~AWAY any chance we get:)

After 15 cruises, we currently have none booked which is virtually unheard of. Instead we have 2 land trips booked. I'm not sure if our travel tastes are changing, or maybe more comfortable doing our own thing. I'm sure we'll book something at some point, so maybe it's just a break.

Also, as to Europe right now, I honestly don't think I could afford to go there for 10 days. It is really really expensive. Looking around from a cruise ship might be the only way I get to do it.

Sure you could. Doing a Europe land trip CAN be less expensive than a cruise. People tend to forget as soon as you get out of the big cities, prices drop like crazy. We just rented a little house in SW France for $880 for a week. We've rented in Tuscany for a week for $1,200. Don't forget, for a lot of cities you visit on a cruise, you'll be spending a couple of hundred a day on shore excursions...that adds up.

The reality is that cruising is not for everyone. We say this having spent more then 2 years of our life as a cruise passenger, but we also love land travel in Europe. But herein lies an issue for the OP. Trying to define cruising as going to the "islands" is perhaps part of the issue. We do like cruising in the Caribbean, but for us the ship is the destination and going to a beach just adds to the fun. But you have to also realize that there are cruises that go to all 7 continents (we have been to 6) and more then 100 countries. So perhaps the OP needs to expand their horizons.

Hank

The reality is that cruising is not for everyone. We say this having spent more then 2 years of our life as a cruise passenger, but we also love land travel in Europe. But herein lies an issue for the OP. Trying to define cruising as going to the "islands" is perhaps part of the issue. We do like cruising in the Caribbean, but for us the ship is the destination and going to a beach just adds to the fun. But you have to also realize that there are cruises that go to all 7 continents (we have been to 6) and more then 100 countries. So perhaps the OP needs to expand their horizons.

Hank

I get your point Hank. That could be all it is. Thanks for the input.. certainly makes me think.

My DH isn't a cruiser at all, he much prefers a land vacation so we've done both. And as time goes by, I lean toward land-based too. If you consider renting a sloop, I would highly recommend the BVIs over the USVI. Google BVI and see much in the way of info for the area, bareboating, etc. It is pretty incredibly gorgeous. :)

I actually DO like the BVI more than the USVI. Thanks for the suggestion.

I love land travel too.

However a cruise is my first choice for a vacation vs. travel. Lot fewer decisions and stress on a cruise. We pick it to relax.

We pick traveling to explore, not too much relaxing. Lost of navigating, packing/unpacking, adjusting to the unexpected, etc.

Renting condos and ships may not be so relaxing for the one buying the food, cooking the food, cleaning, etc.

They all have advantages and disadvantages, would hate to just have one option.

Cheers.

I love cruising but prefer land vacations more because I like to spend more time in the places that I am visting. As a result, I alternate cruising with land vacations to keep a variety.

However, it it is nice to only have to unpack once, not have to fly from one place to the next, worry about where I am going to eat, where to find entertainment...etc...when cruising.

I look at cruising as a way to "sample" a few different places within a weeks or so and relax on the ship in the evenings at a relatively low price. If I cruise to a place that I really enjoyed, then I'll plan a land vacation there to get more time to experience it. It also works in reverse. If I visit a place while cruising that I didn't like then I am happy I didn't spend the $$ on airfare, hotel, activities...etc...to spend a whole week or two there.

Things that may help crusing be a "little better" for you (if you aren't really doing them) are to maybe switch up itineraries, cruiselines, cabin categories, maybe slurge on different ship amnenities/extras, try to go to more "exotic" places outside of the Caribbean, Alaska and Mexico. Maybe try Europe, Asia, Austrailia...etc...

Crusing definitely isn't for everyone though. Also, if you take a break from it for a few years and then go back, you may like it more.

I like knowing my way around, so for that reason when we were doing land vacations we always went to the same beach town and rented a house. But what I got bored with was the isolation.

I love my family, but spending a week with them in a house or on the beach is just too much family time and not so different than our lives back where we live. It didn't seem like vacation after several years.

When I started cruising I fell in love with the ship experience, the variety of things to do on the ship and the diversity of the crew and fellow guests. I'm a chatty cathy and I love talking with my fellow passengers, or wandering from location to location to chat with the crew.

I also don't understand the huge draw to cruising. Don't get me wrong - I like cruises and in fact have another cruise booked for 5 months from now :D However, it always amazes me how many people ONLY cruise for their vacations instead of mixing it up every once in awhile with a land trip. I prefer land travel because there is full flexibility - no constraints on where I go, when I go, or how much time I spend there.

However, when it comes to a vacation where I just want to decompress, cruising fits the bill perfectly. You get sunshine and friendly service for an affordable price :) I've looked into spending a week at a resort instead, but frankly I like the variety of ports that cruises bring. I'm a little afraid of going stir-crazy if I spent a whole week on one island.

I like cruising because it's very relaxing for me!

My Dh prefers land vacations, but we are limited because he won't fly. Cruising is the only way i'm getting out of the country.

Also, I don't have to drive, I don't have to cook, I don't have to clean. That's why its relaxing for ME. If we are on a land vacation, i'm the one who takes care of all that stuff.

I've been reading lots and LOTS of boards - everything to do about cruising. We haven't been cruising long - 5 years, but I'm starting to get a little bored with it. We used to go to Islands for 1 or 2 weeks which gave us time to actually get to know the people, and the islands. On a ship you have, maybe 8 hours to 'look around'. Never really get to know anything.

What is it that makes people want to cruise sooooo much?? Guess we'll have to start liking 'ship life' a little more, but with the cut-backs they're making... ie No lunch in the MDR on shore days.. Is it just a home away from home with maid service??

Cruising is not for everyone. If you typically spend one or two weeks on each island then perhaps cruising is not for you. The advantage of cruising is the ability to visit several islands without having to unpack, pack and spend half a day in the airport trying to get to the next island.

Many people use a cruise as a way of sampling several islands, then going back for a week or so to the islands that interest them at a later date.

Both of us have traveled throughout the world for most of our working careers. With little to no home time for 25 years, we find the ship is the destination. I am retired and my DW still works. A week without phone calls, schedules (freestyle) and no email is the vacation. If the destination was the vacation, I don't think we would choose the Caribbean as our first choice. Having traveled pretty extensively in Europe and the Far/Near East, I could spend months traveling Europe many times over. However, for the cost of a "nice" European vacation we can take at least two cruises in suites. Different strokes for different folks.

Archived