Alcohol Package deals on Celebrity cruise ships

danousha

My question is the following. My spouse and I are going on the Eclipse "Celebrity" cruise ship on January. We have cruised with Celebrity (4 times already). We are thinking of getting an alcohol package deal for my spouse. We will be on the ship, 7 days. I do not drink, except for the occasional glass of wine. I have friends from the office that has been using the package deals on other cruise ships and they tell me that once in a while their husbands ordered a drink for themselves and then passed it on to their wives. Can you tell me how they can get away with this. Does that mean that anyone who has a package deal on their card they can just go and get a drink and then not necessarily drink it and hand the drink to their wife.

I am an honest person, but if most of the people do that, then I don't see why I should pay the full price for an occasional drink, when my spouse has the "package deal" (and he is by all means not a big drinker).

Can you clarify me on that. What kind of control is there.

Thank you for your assistance on this matter.

Danousha

By far, MOST people do NOT share drinks packages. It's intended for one person only, and not even for the once a day drink. The reason why RCI changed their drink package is because they found couples "sharing" the package and wanted it stopped. So, while your friends may have cheated the system, in no way do most people share the package.

BTW, they do an accounting of what someone drinks, and if they see a pattern of purchasing, for example, a mixed drink for your husband at 7pm and then a glass of wine at 7:02, they will know he's probably sharing the package and they will suspend the package for him. They do swipe the card every time something is ordered, so it's not just a situation of him ordering a drink and walking away. They swipe his card and the purchase is recorded in the computers.

BTW, Celebrity is the only line with a full on drinks package. There are other lines where all drinks are included, like the luxury lines and Thompson, but no other line has this, so I don't know what your co-workers are saying in this regard. Some lines have drink coupons and others have large group options for included drinks, but only Celebrity has a premium, nearly all inclusive, drinks package.

I am an honest person, but if most of the people do that, then I don't see why I should pay the full price for an occasional drink, when my spouse has the "package deal" (and he is by all means not a big drinker).

Danousha

If you are, indeed, an "honest person" you wouldn't even be thinking about this. If your spouse is not a big drinker, then maybe he should just pay for individual drinks. In any event, you should pay for your own drinks. Packages are meant to be used by one person. If he is caught "handing off" a drink to you, his package can be lifted.

My question is the following. My spouse and I are going on the Eclipse "Celebrity" cruise ship on January. We have cruised with Celebrity (4 times already). We are thinking of getting an alcohol package deal for my spouse. We will be on the ship, 7 days. I do not drink, except for the occasional glass of wine. I have friends from the office that has been using the package deals on other cruise ships and they tell me that once in a while their husbands ordered a drink for themselves and then passed it on to their wives. Can you tell me how they can get away with this. Does that mean that anyone who has a package deal on their card they can just go and get a drink and then not necessarily drink it and hand the drink to their wife.

Danousha

If you cannot understand why you would have to pay for a drink when you do not have a package and your husband does and you consider yourself an honest person than I do not think that anyone could say anything to convince your otherwise. If you do not drink very much you certain should not even consider buying a package and if you husband does not drink much than he probably should not buy a package either.

Could you be less than honest and get away with it? Perhaps.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you honestly aren't sure how these packages work. As others have said, they are for one person. Each person must either purchase their own package or buy the few drinks they may want individually. Sharing is akin to stealing. Not much different than buying one movie theater ticket then sneaking your spouse in through the exit door because he might not be interested enough in the movie to pay for it himself (probably any movie with Sarah Jessica Parker in it :D )

...I am an honest person, but if most of the people do that, then I don't see why I should pay the full price for an occasional drink, when my spouse has the "package deal" (and he is by all means not a big drinker)....

It's very easy to see why some people share when sharing is not allowed. For the same reasons some people shoplift.

You say you don't see why you should pay if others don't. Well, do you shoplift and steal things of you know that other people are doing this?

If you have your husband order you a drink under his package in order to get it without paying for it you are stealing from the cruise line. Period.

I don't yet know how Celebrity works their package, but if you're on Thomson, each member of the party has to have the alcohol package, so that there's no sharing....either that, or no-one is allowed it.

Jo.

So far Celebrity is trusting it's patrons to do the right thing here and is offering the beverage packages on an individual basis. So one person in the cabin can purchase a drink package while the other person does not. Likewise two people in a cabin might have purchased different packages.

Archived