Balcony Behaviour

CHOPPERTESTER

The balcony light issue is one of my pet peeves too... If my neighbor is on their balcony, then they have every right to have the light on, but when they move indoors, it would be nice if they turn off the light so that I could enjoy the evening sky in darkness if I so choose. Enjoying a glass of wine or scotch whilst relaxing in the darkness of the balcony and being able to see the night sky is one of the reasons I enjoy cruising... it's one of my "escape completely" moments. :)

The balcony light issue is one of my pet peeves too... If my neighbor is on their balcony, then they have every right to have the light on, but when they move indoors, it would be nice if they turn off the light so that I could enjoy the evening sky in darkness if I so choose. Enjoying a glass of wine or scotch whilst relaxing in the darkness of the balcony and being able to see the night sky is one of the reasons I enjoy cruising... it's one of my "escape completely" moments. :)

I agree completely!!! One of my FAVORITE parts of cruising!!!

I don't have a problem with balcony lights, I close the curtains. Bathing suits tied to the back of a chair and out of sight....no problem. Snorkel gear laid low on the deck....not and issue with me. Loud cell phone calls in port...anoying. Loud music from MP3 devices....I don't care to listen to their music.

I agree.

I also agree with the poster who said balcony lights are to be expected when people are on their veranda but when they go back into the cabin, they should turn it off. I think it inconsiderate to leave it lit if no one is on the veranda.

I don't read from Kindle but do love reading my book in the night sea air sometimes. I need a light. :o I don't have book light and frankly do not want to add more 'stuff' to my luggage.

Now that smoking has been banned from Princess balconies (sailings departing 15 Jan 2012 and later), what other behaviours would you like to see banned?

I'll start with those that leave the balcony lights on when not in use.

Drapes on most ships are very very good, IMO balcony lights should not be a problem.

john

Agree about the outside lights. Annoying.

Last cruise we had people a couple cabins away who were on their balcony talking loudly even in the middle of the night. And during the day they went in and out of the cabin a million times with the balcony door slamming shut. :mad: I just don't get how people aren't mindful about this kind of stuff!

Drapes on most ships are very very good, IMO balcony lights should not be a problem.

john

It is to those of us who want to enjoy being out at sea and prefer to leave our drapes open so we can watch the moonlight reflecting on the waves, or the stars above on a dark night, or the twinkling lights of other ships in the distance. For some of us it's not about shutting ourselves off from the world around us, but taking in as much of it as we can.

It is to those of us who want to enjoy being out at sea and prefer to leave our drapes open so we can watch the moonlight reflecting on the waves, or the stars above on a dark night, or the twinkling lights of other ships in the distance. For some of us it's not about shutting ourselves off from the world around us, but taking in as much of it as we can.

Agreed -- very eloquently put! :cool:

With all the 3 way switches in the cabin, there have been times that I have turned on the balcony lights but didn't realize it because the drapes were closed. So, this may also happen to others. Once I realized it, I made sure I turned them off. But there are many that just leave them on!!!

With all the 3 way switches in the cabin, there have been times that I have turned on the balcony lights but didn't realize it because the drapes were closed. So, this may also happen to others.....
Yes indeed. On our first cruise with a balcony, I was annoyed by the bright light out on our balcony at night. I looked for a switch on the balcony to turn it off, but could not find one. Duh! It was not until a few days later that I even realized there was a switch inside the cabin to turn it off.

On the HAL Amsterdam there are some small decks across the back of the ship (like wide balconies) that would be wonderful for star viewing at night if only they did not keep a row of glaring bright lights on across them. How we wished we could flip a switch to turn those lights off. When we inquired, we were told that those lights must be left on all night and are not allowed to be turned off.

how would/is princess telling if you are smoking on the balconies?

Sapper is right.

When there are people smoking on verandas near us, it drifts onto our veranda and sometimes is so bad we have to leave our veranda and go back inside. If smokers are breaking the rules, it is likely someone will report it given what a hot button issue this is.

Agree about the outside lights. Annoying.

Last cruise we had people a couple cabins away who were on their balcony talking loudly even in the middle of the night. And during the day they went in and out of the cabin a million times with the balcony door slamming shut. :mad: I just don't get how people aren't mindful about this kind of stuff!

OMG, the door slamming is the WORST. One of our cruises, there was a couple next to us - no kids, mind you - and they literally had to have been RUNNING in and out their balconydoor for HOURS the first day on the ship. Our whole cabin was shaking the first few days, and it wasn't from anything we were doing! :p

Enjoying a glass of wine or scotch whilst relaxing in the darkness of the balcony and being able to see the night sky is one of the reasons I enjoy cruising... it's one of my "escape completely" moments. :)

And of course that scotch was bought (not brought) on board! ;)

Now that smoking has been banned from Princess balconies (sailings departing 15 Jan 2012 and later), what other behaviours would you like to see banned?

I'll start with those that leave the balcony lights on when not in use.

i'd start with door slammers mostly on carnival

Fortunately for us, door-slamming is not as much of an issue on RC, as the balcony doors are mostly sliders. There are a few "regular" doors on some of the aft cabins, but have never heard any of them slam shut. :cool:

Don't really appreciate folks who leave their balcony lights on all night -- especially when they are not using their balcony. Probably the same people who leave their porch lights on all the time at home. :rolleyes: ;)

Couples fighting and cursing each other on the balcony...

On some balconies with an outward opening door, they could be cursing the door, the furniture that gets in the way when you open or close the door or the glass that fell off the table and broke.

Colleen

Archived