Weird Issues Raised

navybankerteacher

Many years ago I dated an NCL crew guy for a long time..if you heard some of the questions he told me passengers asked, you'd wet your pants from laughing.

My favorite one was when someone asked them if they had toilets in his country (He came from one of the most progressive technological countries in the world).

I always wonder why people ask what time they should book a return flight for, and can they make a 9am flight, etc. I guess nobody reads the fine print on their cruise docs where it recommends what time to book a return flight. Or, the questions asking directions on how to get to a certain area (if in the United States) instead of using mapquest or some similar program.

and NCL does/did Botox on its ships.....so it may not be a serious question to some but it actually makes some sort of sense....

remember one of the questions that is sometimes asked is "does the crew sleep on the ship"...

Then there was the poster who was doing a Cunard world cruise in Queens grill class (probably more than $80,000) and wanted to know if they could take some beer on board:D Still I suppose you have to cut costs somewhere:)

This may have been a matter of taste instead of trying to save money. Some cruise ships serve BMC beer (Bud, Miller, Coors) and many people prefer better beer.

My favorite one was when someone asked them if they had toilets in his country (He came from one of the most progressive technological countries in the world).

It works the same at times, but kind of reversed.

I did a bus tour in Puntarenas years ago, where seeing it is so hot, only the very rich have hot water heaters.

Our guide told us that he took a holiday in winter one time in Canada, and stared in a bourding house in Toronto. His landlady showed him the bathroom, and explained how to use the single tap to get hot /cold water. 'Don't worry' replied the guide, 'I only use cold water'. He then made a face, grinned, and added these words for us, 'It nearly killed me!!!':)

john

Now this was a first for me......... I was on another thread and at the end where is normally says in the little blue box "post a reply" instead, it had an icon of a padlock and the words "this thread is closed". Sho nuff......you can't add any more comments. Maybe "they" need to do more of that!?!?!?!?

Regarding the repetitive replies, I just consider it like a conversation with a group of people. One person asks a question, another responds, a few simply say they agree, one may have a differing opinion or an anecdote not totally on the subject, which effectively hi-jacks the conversation in a different direction. Etc, etc.

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked. (or the snarky sarcastic ones by bored teenagers ;))

Now this was a first for me......... I was on another thread and at the end where is normally says in the little blue box "post a reply" instead, it had an icon of a padlock and the words "this thread is closed". Sho nuff......you can't add any more comments. Maybe "they" need to do more of that!?!?!?!?

Yes, censorship is great.

Kill all the controversial threads or any that you don't care for.:rolleyes:

Regarding the repetitive replies, I just consider it like a conversation with a group of people. One person asks a question, another responds, a few simply say they agree, one may have a differing opinion or an anecdote not totally on the subject, which effectively hi-jacks the conversation in a different direction. Etc, etc.

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked. (or the snarky sarcastic ones by bored teenagers ;))

I have to differ with you, some questions really are stupid -- I'm not calling the people who ask them stupid -- but there are times when even very intelligent people say something without thinking: the results are truly stupid questions - some stunning enough to make you gasp with surprise -- which is actually what a laugh is.

I have to differ with you, some questions really are stupid -- I'm not calling the people who ask them stupid -- but there are times when even very intelligent people say something without thinking: the results are truly stupid questions - some stunning enough to make you gasp with surprise -- which is actually what a laugh is.

There really are some stupid questions now and then. I remember a Jersey girl, bragging about her bikini body, complete with listing measurements, asking for advice on how to keep men from checking her out poolside because it made her husband jealous. We all thought it was a joke, but she got very angry because she was serious.

Oh well, it makes for good CC memories. ;)

Just so you know, they do Botox in medi-spas all over the country here in the US. I am pretty sure they have the requisite training in the ship spas, they are not just handing them a needle and telling them to go for it! Botox, teeth whitening... I am just waiting for the Lipo and implant offerings! :rolleyes:

There really are some stupid questions now and then. I remember a Jersey girl, bragging about her bikini body, complete with listing measurements, asking for advice on how to keep men from checking her out poolside because it made her husband jealous. We all thought it was a joke, but she got very angry because she was serious.

Oh well, it makes for good CC memories. ;)

What may seem to be a stupid question, because the answer seems obvious to the observer, isn't stupid if the person asking the question truly doesn't know the answer. I will admit that questions that are asked repeatedly by the same person (I get this at work) are stupid questions after, say, the 3rd time.

ps. Did anyone answer her question to her satisfaction?

What may seem to be a stupid question, because the answer seems obvious to the observer, isn't stupid if the person asking the question truly doesn't know the answer. I will admit that questions that are asked repeatedly by the same person (I get this at work) are stupid questions after, say, the 3rd time.

ps. Did anyone answer her question to her satisfaction?

Yes, I am aware that a stupid question may not seem stupid to the person asking, but this was one of those threads you would have to of read to understand. She was really out there. She kept bragging about her looks, while asking for advice to keep people from looking.

No, she was never satisfied. In fact, she got so angry the thread was deleted.

The wierdest question I remember, was a woman who asked if she could bring her sewing machine on a cruise......yes really!
I remember that thread and posted on it. It was a world cruise of close to a year and she was in a suite with plenty of room for her machine. As a fellow machine embroiderer I understood her question and didn't think it was weird. Unusual, maybe.

Does anyone whose been on these boards for over the past year or so remember the poster who was posting REALLY WEIRD stuff? She lived with her family of 14 and was worried about who was going to take care of her father-in-law if she went on a cruise, and then someone she was on the cruise with was in a wheel chair, and issues about where and how they could go places, and then she found starfish on the beach and brought them back to the ship and she put them in the shower in her cabin and they started to smell and wanted to take them home at the end of the cruise..... Some of her posts were SO weird, some other posters questioned if she wasn't just making this stuff up to see what other folks would say. I don't remember the screen name.

..and then she found starfish on the beach and brought them back to the ship and she put them in the shower in her cabin and they started to smell and wanted to take them home at the end of the cruise.....

Yes! Probably one of the all-time best threads here on CC....not so much for the Op, but for everyone else.

Does anyone whose been on these boards for over the past year or so remember the poster who was posting REALLY WEIRD stuff? She lived with her family of 14 and was worried about who was going to take care of her father-in-law if she went on a cruise, and then someone she was on the cruise with was in a wheel chair, and issues about where and how they could go places, and then she found starfish on the beach and brought them back to the ship and she put them in the shower in her cabin and they started to smell and wanted to take them home at the end of the cruise..... Some of her posts were SO weird, some other posters questioned if she wasn't just making this stuff up to see what other folks would say. I don't remember the screen name.

That was a very entertaining thread. This person was so out there!

There is no such this as a "wierd question".

We learn is this grade school. If you don't ask, you won't learn.

I find the CC is the best place to learn... becuase someone somewhere learned the hard way or observed something that I didn't think about.

Customs and Cultures are so different.

(I live 15 min from US/CAN border and even travling that distance there is a significant difference in culture)

Something you may think is normal... someone else may thing is weird.

• 2 weeks later...
The one that gets me is the posters who post only 4 or 5 words every post. Never anything informative just posting for the sake of posting. I don't mind people offering a duplicate opinion so much because in may reinforce what others are saying. But to just give some pithy little comment each and every post? Why bother? Their not offering anything worthwhile to the discussion. I was so happy when I discovered I could "ignore" a poster!

ignore" a poster

HOW do you do this?

Thanks

ignore" a poster

HOW do you do this?

Thanks

If you click on a user's name and select "View Public Profile" you will see a small drop down list under their name that is titled "User Lists". the last options is to Add to Ignore List. You won't see the posts of that user anymore unless they are quoted in another user's post.

I am still very new to CC but I really Love the weird questions. probably because I love the answers. The best one I heard so far was ( in real life not on the forum) "is the water in the toilet fresh or salty"

I agree I love the weird questions! With that one I can't help but wonder why they would want to know

Archived