Sabatini/Sterling Steakhouse Reservations???

cruising mickey

Hello,

Do reservations to Sabatini's and Sterling Steakhouse need to be made in advance, if so how far in advance? Can it be done same day? Is there any penalty for cancelling an already made reservation at either?

Edited by cruising mickey

I have never been on a cruise where you couldn't get into a speciality restaurant on any given night. However, that being said I would imagine that on some cruises and some nights (like formal night) the speciality restaurants may be fully booked. If I were you I would book on embarkation day and change or cancel if you need to without a charge.

"In the old days" it was always impossible to get into the specialty restaurants without signing up on the first day. That has changed! I think it must be the economy because now, the restuarants are very quiet most nights. Especially on the super grand class ships where Sabitinis is not on the "main drag" (deck 7). It's hidden along with Adagio's up on deck 16.

We've been to the Specialty restaurants a number of times & never made reservations more than a day in advance since we want to check the DR menu before hand. With the new menu routine in Sabatini's, that most people don't really like, I doubt if you'll have any problems with just walking up to the door.

On the Star in April the main DR we found the food to be so good we couldn't bring ourselves to spent the extra money.

"In the old days" it was always impossible to get into the specialty restaurants without signing up on the first day. That has changed! I think it must be the economy because now, the restuarants are very quiet most nights. Especially on the super grand class ships where Sabitinis is not on the "main drag" (deck 7). It's hidden along with Adagio's up on deck 16.

Another explanation would be the narrowing of the gap between the food served at the specialties and the MDRs. It may not be the economy dictating the outcome as much as the kitchens. I haven't been to a specialty on Princess yet, so I have no opinion. But based on recent posts here, quality could be a major cause. I intend to try a specialty next time around to find out for sure.

Another explanation would be the narrowing of the gap between the food served at the specialties and the MDRs. It may not be the economy dictating the outcome as much as the kitchens. I haven't been to a specialty on Princess yet, so I have no opinion. But based on recent posts here, quality could be a major cause. I intend to try a specialty next time around to find out for sure.

We usually make reservations the day prior and have never had any problems. I do know,last time we sailed, if you didn't have reservations for Sabatini's a day ahead you would, most likely, not get a seat.

NIta

We normally go to the steakhouse at least once per cruise - and I always make reservations the day we get on the ship. On the times we've gone it was rare that more than one other table was full. We've never gone to Sabatini's so I don't know how that goes. I'd make reservations at least the day before just to be safe.

It would be nice if you could make reservations online ahead of time. We're going on a Carnival cruise (I know, I know...) in February with friends and was surprised that we could book reservations on their web site (it's for Valentine's Day or I wouldn't have bothered).

I have never been on a cruise where you couldn't get into a speciality restaurant on any given night. However, that being said I would imagine that on some cruises and some nights (like formal night) the speciality restaurants may be fully booked. If I were you I would book on embarkation day and change or cancel if you need to without a charge.

I have found the resturants most heavily booked on holiday cruises,

like New Years eve.

Why can't Princess come out of the dark ages and allow you to reserve specialty restaurant reservations in the Cruise Personalizer section in advance as you can with both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean ?

Probably because a good percentage of the reservations would not be used as people forget what evening they made them for or changed their minds and did not cancel the reservation.

Since it is rare that either specialty restaurant is full, it is no problem to make the reservation once on the ship. Just call the DINE line or stop by the restaurant.

Edited by caribill

The only nights you may have an issue would be formal nights. Typically no problem although we tried to book Sabatini's once and there was a wedding party the night we tried so we couldn't get in. I don't think that's the norm.

No there is no charge should you book and then decide to cancel. Just use courtesy and call them if you decide not to honor your reservation.

Why can't Princess come out of the dark ages and allow you to reserve specialty restaurant reservations in the Cruise Personalizer section in advance as you can with both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean ?

Worldspan

129 cruises strong

Does RCCL still charge for shore excursions immediately when pre-booking online? :rolleyes:

I much prefer the Princess system to book shore excursions in advance without having to pay for them unlike the last time on RCCL...talk about the dark ages! :eek:

I can easily book a specialty restaurant onboard so there are options for us for pre-booking things...either RCCL to pre-book specialty restaurants or Princess to pre-book & not have to pay for shore excursions months in advance...I'll take the Princess system. :rolleyes:

Edited by Astro Flyer

I actually prefer to prepay the excursions and the specialty restaurants ahead of time. Less to cover at the end of the trip. No reason to forget when your reservation for the specialty restaurant is since you receive a card reminding you of the time and date once on board.

• 6 years later...
I am trying to book sterling steakhouse on the first cruise night I am going on 21/4/2018 on Sea Princess and I cant find where to do it can any one help?

You should be able to go to your cruise personalizer and click on specialty dining. Unless they removed the Sterling from it. I’m on the Sapphire in a couple of weeks and they removed it . Not sure why

Worldspan

129 cruises strong

They must have heard you...

27442931908_8d55292874_z.jpg

You should be able to go to your cruise personalizer and click on specialty dining. Unless they removed the Sterling from it. I’m on the Sapphire in a couple of weeks and they removed it . Not sure why

I had no problem on Star Princess. Made the reservations indicated above on 17 January for our 4 March 2018 cruise.

Full review here...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2018/04/01/star-princess-hawaiian-islands-adventure/

40942473241_f0dfd684c0_z.jpg

I am trying to book sterling steakhouse on the first cruise night I am going on 21/4/2018 on Sea Princess and I cant find where to do it can any one help?

Do you have complimentary dining for the first night? If yes, you can not book, wait until you board. If not complimentary you still should be able to dine there on boarding day. Just call the DINE Line once on board.

They must have heard you...

I had no problem on Star Princess. Made the reservations indicated above on 17 January for our 4 March 2018 cruise.

Full review here...

I can not book Sterling Steakhouse on the Sapphire Princess. I can Sabatini's.

• 3 weeks later...
We are onboard the Regal right now and since departure there have been zero nights where I could make a reservation for a time before 8:30 pm. We have walked in once and were seated at 8:00 pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not good!

After so many voyages, we no longer pack formal clothes when we cruise. Since the "formal" policy only applies to the main dining rooms, we always call the specialty restaurant phone from our stateroom as soon as we board. We confirm which night/s are formal and book those. A reminder card will be sent to your stateroom.

We are onboard the Regal having cruised from Fort Lauderdale and now departing Copenhagen. Crown Grill has been unavailable for any evening before 8:30 pm and unavailable for any dates beyond the Copenhagen departure until today. We are supposed to have some sort of “priority speciality dining status”, whatever that means. Phoned at about 9:05 am and was told we could not get a reservation before 8:00 pm.

I have heard that departure nights are reserved for suite dwellers. That seems to be true.

I have heard that departure nights are reserved for suite dwellers. That seems to be true.

They also have onboard coupon booklets that may have a coupon for B1G1 in a specialty restaurant good only for the first evening.

They also have onboard coupon booklets that may have a coupon for B1G1 in a specialty restaurant good only for the first evening.

Princess is quite aware that most people aren’t looking for specialty dining on departure night and those that are will not be able to get a reservation before 8:30 pm (I called at 9:05 am on departure day and the Crown Grill had nothing before 8:30 pm for the entire cruise). It looks like the suite dwellers have all the slots but since it is free to them they just no-show which leaves the place quite empty most nights. Just go in and see if they can accommodate you. We did and got in at 8:00 pm.