Boxed Lunch

HALrunner

To clarify, when I asked if anyone had "tried" it.....I did not mean "smuggle"! I meant "Has anyone asked if boxed lunches were available while on board?" I am aware of the general rule/law that food can not be brought ashore in most ports. Just want to clarify so I don't get flamed:) Thanks

We've been on two HAL excursions where we could pick up a box lunch before getting off the ship, so I know some ships have the boxes on board to do it. You could bring bags and wrappers from home to do your own as long as the Caymans allow it.

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam and a couple having breakfast with us in the Pinnacle wanted a box lunch to take on their all day tour in Costa Maya - they didn't like Mexican food. The Pinnacle manager checked and told them that she was not permitted to make them one to take off the ship.

Now Mexico is very strict about taking food off the ship as well as some of the other islands -- in several of the Mexican ports we had our purses and back packs checked for food. And they were taking even boxes of cereal from people which was sealed.

You would be wise to check this before you leave the ship.

Why not just buy lunch ashore...in GC, the food and drink is perfectly fine! Your independant tour guide will guide you to an appropriate restaurant suited to your tastes!

Exactly. We enjoy eating sampling local lunches/dinners in ports we visit. It's a chance to learn about their food tastes and style of cooking.

We would not bring a box lunch ashore even if permitted by local authorities. No one says it has to be a large or costly lunch but it's some of the fun of travel IMO

Exactly. We enjoy eating sampling local lunches/dinners in ports we visit. It's a chance to learn about their food tastes and style of cooking.

We would not bring a box lunch ashore even if permitted by local authorities. No one says it has to be a large or costly lunch but it's some of the fun of travel IMO

The reason that we had to take box lunches was not cos, but a thee hour bus ride with one 10 minute bathroom break, this was needed since we were allowed all the free beer that we wanted. It was the same for the returnn trip.

john

Exactly. We enjoy sampling local lunches in ports we visit. It's a chance to learn about their food tastes and style of cooking.

DW and I totally agree! We have friends who SAY they have been to x countries. They looked at the coast of Spain from the deck of Seabourn, and didn't eat in Spain because "We had a 5star restaurant already paid for".:rolleyes: DW and I spent 3 days one time and 2 weeks another time with DD and family in Spain and we say we've seen part of the country!

I'm sorry to say I have not seen all the US states. :( I play trivia with a 'Winter Texan' from Canada, who I'm sorry to say knows as much about the USA as I do, and I am as ill informed about our Northern neighbors as most Americans, even though I've been to the falls and British Columbia.

At least on all our cruises, we have had a local beer (or 2) and usually a snack or light lunch at every port. Until you have experienced the sights, sounds and smells the local people know, you haven't really been to a place!

We have shared a table with businessmen on more than one occasian (sp) and used what they ordered as a guide to what we ordered. Sign language + eng, Ital, and Span can work together! :DI have considered the food we've had good to very good, but that is not the point. For food you like, stay home:( for an experience, try it.:confused:

OK, this will set some people off.. but...

Someone suggested that you could order deli sandwiches, chips, fruit, and cookies from the Lido, put them zip-lock bags brought from home... and take them off the boat to eat on shore to save money.

My comment was that I believe they check possessions via the medal detector as you left the ship and would surely see it and confiscate it... isn't that right?

No, I don't recall ever going through metal detector leaving the ship.

What I do recall are the cute dogs they have in the terminals in some of these ports whose leashes are held by the Agriculture/Immigration/Customs Officials/Police in the port. Those puppies are very good at sniffing out the things they are trained to be searching for....... be it food or whatever.

If we are told to not bring food ashore, it's a really good idea to comply.

IMO

DW and I totally agree! We have friends who SAY they have been to x countries. They looked at the coast of Spain from the deck of Seabourn, and didn't eat in Spain because "We had a 5star restaurant already paid for".:rolleyes: DW and I spent 3 days one time and 2 weeks another time with DD and family in Spain and we say we've seen part of the country!

I'm sorry to say I have not seen all the US states. :( I play trivia with a 'Winter Texan' from Canada, who I'm sorry to say knows as much about the USA as I do, and I am as ill informed about our Northern neighbors as most Americans, even though I've been to the falls and British Columbia.

At least on all our cruises, we have had a local beer (or 2) and usually a snack or light lunch at every port. Until you have experienced the sights, sounds and smells the local people know, you haven't really been to a place!

We have shared a table with businessmen on more than one occasian (sp) and used what they ordered as a guide to what we ordered. Sign language + eng, Ital, and Span can work together! :DI have considered the food we've had good to very good, but that is not the point. For food you like, stay home:( for an experience, try it.:confused:

I knew a couple of people when I was in the Navy that were stationed overseas and never (year and a half to 3 years) left the base! What a missed opportunity!

Someone suggested that you could order deli sandwiches, chips, fruit, and cookies from the Lido, put them zip-lock bags brought from home... and take them off the boat to eat on shore to save money.

My comment was that I believe they check possessions via the medal detector as you left the ship and would surely see it and confiscate it... isn't that right?

I guess it will only detect a sandwich if it was wrapped in tin foil. Or is that a Purple Heart hanging on the sandwich? ;)

I don't recall ever being offered the chance to buy a box lunch on any of our cruises but then again we wouldn't have gotten one anyhow. We've had some great lunches or snacks on shore. Not every port, sometimes there hasn't been an opportunity or we didn't see any place to eat. Heck I've eaten all over the world including sitting on a dirt floor in Africa eating with my hands so I'm pretty adventurous. And no, it wasn't a tour or excursion in Africa under controlled conditions, it was the home, hut would be more correct, of a guy who worked for us in our home. I know people worry about getting sick eating on the economy at ports but interestingly the only "port" I've ever gotten sick in from eating on shore was San Diego. :eek:

Have never had possessions checked by metal detectors as we LEFT the ship.

But once ashore -- many ports -- especially in Mexico -- had officials at the gangway to check our purses and back packs -- we had to open them and they looked inside. There were several barrels full of all kinds of food that people had brought off the ship - including cereal boxes.

I don't recall ever being offered the chance to buy a box lunch on any of our cruises but then again we wouldn't have gotten one anyhow. We've had some great lunches or snacks on shore. Not every port, sometimes there hasn't been an opportunity or we didn't see any place to eat. Heck I've eaten all over the world including sitting on a dirt floor in Africa eating with my hands so I'm pretty adventurous. And no, it wasn't a tour or excursion in Africa under controlled conditions, it was the home, hut would be more correct, of a guy who worked for us in our home. I know people worry about getting sick eating on the economy at ports but interestingly the only "port" I've ever gotten sick in from eating on shore was San Diego. :eek:

Right - wee have gone on quite a few excursions that lasted around 4 hours -- and was during lunch time -- no offers of being able to buy a boxed lunch. We just grabbed a snack when we could.

Only time we have had boxed lunches supplied was when we had all day tours. The worst one was years ago on the train ride in the Panama Canal.

One of our favorite things to do while ashore is to "sample" the local food. We've been to most islands more than once, so by now, have our favorite eateries in each spot.

We can enjoy the ship's food while on the ship...but while on in port, we always avail ourselves of the local fare. That's part of the fun of traveling to different places.

No, I don't recall ever going through metal detector leaving the ship.

What I do recall are the cute dogs they have in the terminals in some of these ports whose leashes are held by the Agriculture/Immigration/Customs Officials/Police in the port. Those puppies are very good at sniffing out the things they are trained to be searching for....... be it food or whatever.

If we are told to not bring food ashore, it's a really good idea to comply.

IMO

It seems simple enough...

Restaurant on the Grand Cayman waterfront is Guy Harveys..a short distance from his store. It's on an upper level with elevator, lovely view of the harbor if you sit outdoors. Great food and service, friendly staff. We've been there 3 times and always enjoy it.

It is VERY handy to the ship tender dock area...unless high waves send the ship to the south side of the island, which happens now and then.

Restaurant on the Grand Cayman waterfront is Guy Harveys..a short distance from his store. It's on an upper level with elevator, lovely view of the harbor if you sit outdoors. Great food and service, friendly staff. We've been there 3 times and always enjoy it.

It is VERY handy to the ship tender dock area...unless high waves send the ship to the south side of the island, which happens now and then.

That is a good place with a great view. We've eaten there probably three times and always sit outside. Love it. All this reminds me that I'd like to be having lunch....or at least a drink....in Charlotte Amalie at Gladys' Café. Meeting and talking to Gladys is worth a stop and drink if you've never met her. :)

No machine scanning is done by the ship as you leave, but regardless: if the local tour operator has told the OP that some ships provide box lunches for his excursion customers, then he must know that it is allowed in his country.

I knew a couple of people when I was in the Navy that were stationed overseas and never (year and a half to 3 years) left the base! What a missed opportunity!
When we lived in a suburb of St Louis we had neighbors who had lived their whole lives in the area and had never crossed the Mississippi River! :eek:

Archived