I don't understand "prepaid gratuities" on Celebrity Silhouette!

sparot5

Hi,

I am new to the forum. I am about to book Silhouette and the agent sent me the note below: "The only available dining time is the open dining. Celebrity requires anyone on open dining to pre pay their gratuities. I have waitlisted your party for Late dining."

I have cruised a lot and have never encountered "prepaying" for services not yet received. Has anyone else encountered this? How does this work? If I book and then don't travel, wouldn't I lose the gratuities???

I would appreciate some assistance since I have to make up my mind by later tonight (Sept 29, 2011).

Thanks.

sparot5

Hi there - we always pre-pay our gratuities as it means we then don't have to worry about it at the end of the cruise. If you cancel and don't travel and it is before final payment, then the deposit, gratuities and anything else you paid for would be refunded to you by Celebrity.

If you have the first or second seating dining, then you would have the same waiter and waiter's assistant each night, so you would then pay them the gratuities at the end of the cruise if you had opted not to prepay.

With open dining, you would be at a different table each night with possibly many different waiters. So they ask you to prepay the gratuities and then they are distributed, rather than you trying to remember who served you and working out how much to tip them.

Edited by BrusselsGirl07

If you cancel before the final date you would get a refund. If you just don't go then I don't think you get the refund, but I'm not sure since I've never "not gone" :)

I think they do prepaid for Select dining because you may not have the same waiter every night. I'm not sure why you have to prepay all of the gratuities and not just the ones for the dining room. For example, I can't figure out what using Select dining has to do with your room attendant, but it is what it is.

I think prepaid gratuities are really a "fee" since they are not negotiable (they just charge you the whole amount, whereas otherwise it is up to you how much you tip). I also think it's unfair that they collect the money so far ahead of the cruise since tips, as you say, are typically paid after the service is rendered.

There have been tons of conversations about it on this forum (you can use search to look around). I think most people just drink the Kool-Aid and go with it. Not much choice really if you want to sail.

Tom

Hi,

I am new to the forum. I am about to book Silhouette and the agent sent me the note below: "The only available dining time is the open dining. Celebrity requires anyone on open dining to pre pay their gratuities. I have waitlisted your party for Late dining."

I have cruised a lot and have never encountered "prepaying" for services not yet received. Has anyone else encountered this? How does this work? If I book and then don't travel, wouldn't I lose the gratuities???

I would appreciate some assistance since I have to make up my mind by later tonight (Sept 29, 2011).

Thanks.

sparot5

The daily "recommended" minimum gratuities include the dining room gratuities as well as gratuities for stateroom attendants and other staff. The basic gratuity is $11.50 per day per person and is slightly higher for Concierge Class cabins, Aqua Class cabins and Suites.

For those in the Select open seating plan in the dining room the gratuities must be prepaid. If you cancel the cruise they should be refunded. For those in the traditional fixed time dining the gratuities are automatically charged to your on board account on a daily basis.

Since the amounts are prepaid or automatic they are more of a service charge than a gratuity in my opinion. Some cruisers choose to give out an additional gratuity in cash if the feel the service merits it.

Edited by Lsimon

Thanks for the reply but the agent made it seem as though it is due to the "open dining" which we do not want. I have never been asked to prepay gratuities on Princess, NCL, Holland America - I don't understand...

Thanks for the responses. From what I am understanding for all of you is that if you choose "traditional", you do not have to pay upfront. If we are given "select" which is the same as "open", you have to prepay. I still do not understand the logic of not allowing an "open" seating passenger on a daily basis since the cruise company will be the one distributing the funds (and not me)....

Thanks for the responses. From what I am understanding for all of you is that if you choose "traditional", you do not have to pay upfront. If we are given "select" which is the same as "open", you have to prepay. I still do not understand the logic of not allowing an "open" seating passenger on a daily basis since the cruise company will be the one distributing the funds (and not me)....

There has been a lot of debate and speculation about Celebrity's reasoning behind this. Some of the posts above present pretty good presumptions for the reasons but Celebrity hasn't issued any formal statement on their reasoning nor tried to justify the practice. The bottom line is it is what it is. If you have a strong enough objection you can cancel the cruise and book on a different line. However, I'd recommend not worrying about it and instead start anticipating how nice your cruise will be.

I actually like the prepaid gratuities for traditional dining, and we almost always give a little more.

In your case, since it is for open dining, I can see the need even more...you will not establish a bond with any wait team, so many people might say "I really didn't get to "know" my waiter and assistant, so I don't feel like tipping the same way I would if I were on traditional dining"...but guess what...they did the same amount (if not more) work!

If you truly didn't want open dining, but prefer traditional, go to the location on the first day where the maitre d' tries his best to move people around so they can all get what they want.

I just spoke to Celebrity directly and the agent was really watching his words with me...he couldn't really explain and said that he didn't want to "paint himself into a corner.". I get the logic now. Basically, they changed the policy because those who opted for "open" dining but then ate at the buffet/specialty restaurants had waiters "standing around" (agent's words) and did not pay for gratuities. So this is simply a way to ensure that you pay, REGARDLESS of if you are satisfied with the service.

I'm sorry, but I completely see their point. You sign up for open dining. You choose not to go, but to go the buffet or whatever instead. That is totally unfair to the wait staff who are assigned to the dining room TO WAIT ON YOU. You don't show up, they get no tip.

I'm sorry if you don't get that.

I will admit I don't understand Celebrity's logic in singling out the Open dining selection for prepaying gratuities at the time of booking.

No matter where you eat, you are getting services - dining room - traditional or open seating, buffet, specialty restaurants. I think that it makes sense to have a daily gratuity fee added to each passenger's bill each day during the cruise. That's the way most cruise lines handle it, I believe. Passengers can opt out at the Passenger service desk during the cruise or give additional amounts to personnel who did additional services.

I also think some people like the idea having the gratuities paid prior to the cruise as one less expense to come after the cruise. It would be nice if the passenger could make the choice.

What i don't understand is why the requirement is set to require pre-payment of gratuities at booking only for open seating. I can see why the Celebrity customer service staff have a hard time explaining it. Why not have passengers select the payment option at the time of booking, regardless of their dining room choice?

Thanks for the reply but the agent made it seem as though it is due to the "open dining" which we do not want. I have never been asked to prepay gratuities on Princess, NCL, Holland America - I don't understand...

This is basically the same as Princess and NCL, you just pay the gratuities in advance instead of having them added to your onboard account day by day on your cruise. Most of the lines have now gone to the policy of setting a daily gratuity and charging it automatically, whether you have anytime or traditional dining, as it covers all the personnel who take care of you over your cruise. We have gotten used to this process and don't mind it now, it makes less work and we usually tip a little extra in cash to the crew who have given really good service. We had Select Dining on our July Summit cruise, paid the gratuities in advance, and actually we liked it because we never remove them and it made our end of cruise bill less. We find that it makes sense with Select or anytime dining because you don't want to be carrying around cash to tip every night in the MDR. Anyway, as mentioned above, this is Celebrity's policy if you are booked into Select Dining (even if reluctantly.) I guess if you really can't stand it, you'll have to look at another cruise line, although it doesn't cost you any more in the end unless you plan to remove the auto tip.

Edited by cynbar

I think the required gratuities are more of a way to give the server's a little more chance at getting the gratuities at all. Anytime dining/Select Dining you don't tend to have the same team all the time, and there's not as much between the server and yourself...and if you have a couple bad dinners, people might remove the gratuity all together.

You might have the option of adjusting onboard but I'm not sure. I see nothing wrong with not tipping for a service you don't use.

I will admit I don't understand Celebrity's logic in singling out the Open dining selection for prepaying gratuities at the time of booking.

No matter where you eat, you are getting services - dining room - traditional or open seating, buffet, specialty restaurants. I think that it makes sense to have a daily gratuity fee added to each passenger's bill each day during the cruise. That's the way most cruise lines handle it, I believe. Passengers can opt out at the Passenger service desk during the cruise or give additional amounts to personnel who did additional services.

I also think some people like the idea having the gratuities paid prior to the cruise as one less expense to come after the cruise. It would be nice if the passenger could make the choice.

What i don't understand is why the requirement is set to require pre-payment of gratuities at booking only for open seating. I can see why the Celebrity customer service staff have a hard time explaining it. Why not have passengers select the payment option at the time of booking, regardless of their dining room choice?

The simple reason is that those in "Select dining" pool tips since you will probably not have the same waiter. If you are in traditional they do not pool tips therefore it goes to the person who is your waiter.

I am sure, Celebrity, like most corporations making business decisions has some data behind this decision.

Very likely they know that people using Select Dining 'open' are less likely to tip (have the standard tip removed). Perhaps its because in Select we don't form any type of relationship with the waiters, therefore some people feel its ok to 'not tip'?

I dont know the answer, but have to assume that Celebrity had a valid and measurable reason to put this rule into place, as it requires them to support 2 different tip models and they would not put that effort forth, if there was not a valid, financial benefit.

I just assume i am going to tip...the tips you give Celebrity Staff are a fraction of what you would pay on land for similar service...if service doesn't measure up...i will file a complaint with management.

sparot5,

Are you saying that your TA has informed you that neither the early or the late traditional dining is available? I am a little surprised that Celebrity is forcing you to use Select dining. You can make a reservation in advance, so you can still dine at the time that you want. I may have missed it, but I have never read about anyone else being forced to use Select Dining.

Thanks for the answers. I now have a better idea of how all the tipping works and how it is shared, etc. At least now I can explain to the other 30 people in our travel group because I will have to answers the same question I asked.

sparot5,

Are you saying that your TA has informed you that neither the early or the late traditional dining is available? I am a little surprised that Celebrity is forcing you to use Select dining. You can make a reservation in advance, so you can still dine at the time that you want. I may have missed it, but I have never read about anyone else being forced to use Select Dining.

I agree...this is a first. Usually Select dining is filled first with a wait list....and BTW, it's the only dining we book now.

sparot5,

....I am a little surprised that Celebrity is forcing you to use Select dining..... but I have never read about anyone else being forced to use Select Dining.

If early and late seating is filled up, then they would be "forced" to use select. Otherwise, they wouldn't be able to eat dinner, now would they? This is no different than being "forced" to use late seating if early was filled up. Using select dining allows them to make reservations that, if planned appropriately, could be the same times as either early or late seating if they so choose.

Edited by boogs

If prepaying the gratuities bothers you, hold onto your garters - when you book a cruse tour, you pay for those prior to the cruise also, and get paid back on your On Board Acct if you cancel onboard prior to the cutoff time.

Realize you got a bit frustrated because you must explain it to 30 others on your group booking. Good luck - I have a feeling that with 30 people, you're going to get a lot of that. Hope you get to enjoy your cruise.

Den

Hi,

Thanks.

sparot5

Tips are charged upfront to your Sea Pass account when you choose Select Dining because most likely you will not be getting the same wait staff each evening. This ensures that everyone gets a gratuity. I think the reason for all tips being charged upfront is to stream line the bookkeeping process. Being charged everyday or upfront doesn't make any difference. It is the same amount of money.

I just wanted to say that my last cruise - on the Eclipse - we did the prepaid gratuities - and I really liked it a lot! Oh, I wound up leaving extra money for my stateroom attendant who was so extremely kind to me when I got sick with a bad upper respiratory infection, but it was nice not having to mess about with cash and envelopes at the end of the cruise and know that all the nice employees who were so good to us during the cruise were properly taken care of without my having to try to figure out who should get what! I really like the prepaid gratuities thing and I would do it any time. But I also liked leaving some extra Euros to those who deserved it, too! So, I think it's a good system and it's flexible enough that you can especially reward those who go above and beyond and that's what I like!

If you have a strong enough objection you can cancel the cruise and book on a different line. However, I'd recommend not worrying about it and instead start anticipating how nice your cruise will be.

Best post on the thread, deserves repeating.

Tips are charged upfront to your Sea Pass account when you choose Select Dining because most likely you will not be getting the same wait staff each evening. This ensures that everyone gets a gratuity. I think the reason for all tips being charged upfront is to stream line the bookkeeping process. Being charged everyday or upfront doesn't make any difference. It is the same amount of money.

Actually they are not charged to your Sea Pass account at all when you choose Select Dining. They are due with final payment, long before you have a Sea Pass account. The rest I'm in complete agreement with.