Hope this doesn't start wwiii - hal's confirmation of the smoking policy

startwin

Good point Peaches - I never thought of the smell of smoke drifting into the cabin
Or ash trays with butts being left inside (after smoking outside), or dumped in the trash can. A steward could easily think that the smoking had been done inside.

If HAL has a one time fee, a smoker would just add $250 to the price of their cruise. When you rent a deluxe veranda, $250 is not that much to enjoy a smoke anytime you want.

Not a bad point and maybe some would see it that way. However, most people are "law" abiding. I am sure HAL will monitor the matter and if there are individuals who simply flaunt the rules they will find a way to deal with it.

holy smoke!

Wouldn't that be incense? :cool:

I wouldn't think smoke smell blowing in from the balcony would make the room smell strongly enough to cause someone to be accused of smoking in the room. But emptying the ashtray is a problem. You don't want to leave it on the balcony where wind might overturn it, spreading ashes around. But if you empty it inside the room, it will look like you're smoking in the room.

The ashtray is the kind which will make your sigaret and ashes disappear with a push on the button so the wind can't blow it away and the stewards will empty it. You can leave it on the verandah.

That makes sense. I don't smoke, so I don't particularly notice ashtrays. Then it should be fairly easy to smoke outside and not get penalized unfairly.

That's because most smokers (and non-smokers) have enough respect and self-respect to adhere to a stated policy, even if they would personally prefer it to be different.

That, after all, is what being grown-up is all about.

The stated policy is perfectly clear: "no smoking in the cabins". The existence of a fine for a breach of the policy doesn't make the policy any less unambiguous. Anyone who thinks that a fine suddenly turns the policy into "actually, we're allowing you to smoke in the cabin for a $250 fee" is just being wishfully self-indulgent.

And as for the supposed difficulty in enforcing this, it's not as if land-based hotels have had insuperable difficulties with similar policies.

Very well said...

Full disclosure I am a smoker I have my first cruise ever booked with Hal for February. And I will not be smoking in the cabin I am actually on my front porch at home typing this while I have a smoke no one smokes in my house. This idea of a clean up fee is ludicrous -either u allow smoking in the cabins or u don't it's coming very close to the line re false advertising it is right in line with the rules re the chair hogs on the decks something I have seen countless comments about apparently there is a rule not to do it and yet its not enforced not a sound business model if u ask me

Mar56

Come January 2012 you will be fined $250 if you're caught smoking while posting on Cruise Critic :D

There are balconies for many and smoking areas on the ship. My partner won't smoke in our house or in the cars. Will they have a smoke sniffer to visit the cabins. They don't send anyone to look for liquor in the cabins and it's usually out on the bar area. Will it be a post cruise charge so that the cabin stewards are not stiffed?

There are balconies for many and smoking areas on the ship. My partner won't smoke in our house or in the cars. Will they have a smoke sniffer to visit the cabins. They don't send anyone to look for liquor in the cabins and it's usually out on the bar area. Will it be a post cruise charge so that the cabin stewards are not stiffed?

I think you're right- the charge will be added to your final bill after you are off the ship.

I think the red flag came from the answer that Joanie got from a very specific question. If you go back and read Joanie's blog she was extremely clear about what she was asking.

Is it a one time fee that I can pay and be allowed to smoke whenever during my cruise?

Answer: It will be a one time fee...one time only and yes you will be able to pay it in advance by calling HAL.

She also asked if the fee would be waved if outside decks are closed. I am sure she will report back when she hears from HAL.

We prefer HAL and are booked on a cruise in January. We know going in what the policies are, and understand that for the future there may be smokers next to us on the balcony and that is their right. I respect Joanie and am happy that she asked the question in a straightforward way, even if the answers and implications are not what I wanted to hear.

Most smokers will be unlikely to travel with HAL in the new year, unless they have a balcony so I can't see that it's going to be much of an issue.

If a smoker has a balcony and some smell does enter the room, then I would think the staff would err on the side of caution before making accusations.

If HAL has a one time fee, a smoker would just add $250 to the price of their cruise. When you rent a deluxe veranda, $250 is not that much to enjoy a smoke anytime you want.

In which case the rules will probably change to become more restrictive.

With this policy in place it firmly establishes the expectation that your cabin is and has been non-smoking. If one gets a cabin today that was previously smoked in they have little recourse. Once the policy goes into effect if that happens then the consumer has far more leverage (both if their is a smell or residue from the previous occupant, as well if their is smoke infiltration from a nearby room) because of the expectation set by the policy. The company can be at fault because of a failure to enforce their published policy.

Doesn't Disney have essentially the same policy without drawing attention to a fine/cleaning fee? Perhaps HAL should have imposed the new smoking policy first and implemented the fee only after it was determined that a majority were not abiding by the new policy.

In which case the rules will probably change to become more restrictive.

With this policy in place it firmly establishes the expectation that your cabin is and has been non-smoking. If one gets a cabin today that was previously smoked in they have little recourse. Once the policy goes into effect if that happens then the consumer has far more leverage (both if their is a smell or residue from the previous occupant, as well if their is smoke infiltration from a nearby room) because of the expectation set by the policy. The company can be at fault because of a failure to enforce their published policy.

I'm not sure. If someone smokes and the cleaning fee is assessed, HAL will have enforced its policy.

If a neighboring cabin has smoke coming in their vents during the cruise and HAL does not stop it, will HAL have enforced it policy?

There is a huge fundemental difference between the official policy itself and the policy's intent... These types of differences have kept judges and lawyers and cruise critic members debating for years ;)

I think the red flag came from the answer that Joanie got from a very specific question. If you go back and read Joanie's blog she was extremely clear about what she was asking.

Is it a one time fee that I can pay and be allowed to smoke whenever during my cruise?

Answer: It will be a one time fee...one time only and yes you will be able to pay it in advance by calling HAL.

She also asked if the fee would be waved if outside decks are closed. I am sure she will report back when she hears from HAL.

<snip>

Indeed. And hopefully the staff member emails Joanie as promised when he gets the answer to that question, and I'm sure she'll let us know.

HAL is trying to be all things for all people, putting a policy in place that will make the non smokers and smokers happy. I don't think they will have smoking police or be putting people off the ship at a distant port for lighting up. As long as HAL wants to strattle the issue the people who are so against smoking should find a different line.

The ashtray is the kind which will make your sigaret and ashes disappear with a push on the button so the wind can't blow it away and the stewards will empty it. You can leave it on the verandah.

Photo of the ash tray which is provided by asking the Room Steward (Click on the photo to see full sized photo)

sm-6177_verandah_Joanie-2.jpg

As soon as I hear back from Kees, I will let everyone know!!

And I believe I mentioned it already in my Semi Live Blog, but as of January 15the 2012 the Sports Bar will also be non smoking, which makes no sense since it is right there by the Casion where the smoke is extremely heavy?????

Joanie

After reading all the posts on this board from smokers who state that they would never, never smoke in a area where smoking wasn't allowed I expect there will be almost 100% compliance with the new rules...Are am I being naive?

Yes.

Archived