Hope this doesn't start wwiii - hal's confirmation of the smoking policy

startwin

Just off the phone again with HAL in Seattle. Two different answers yesterday, now told today "for sure" how smoking in the cabins will be handled. (And thanks to Joanie for the head's up on this one, as per info she got recently on the Zuiderdam).

The $250 fine for smoking in the cabin is one-time per cruise only and is added to the passenger's onboard account at the end of the cruise. Translate that how you like, but it would appear nothing has changed other than to collect extra revenue from the smokers who choose to break that particular rule... and they can continue to break it throughout their cruise at no further cost. The "fine" is actually called a cleaning fee.

I will be re-thinking my future cruise plans. This is not intended to start the smoking war again, but is just to confirm how the policy is going to be applied after January 2012. Some CC members had assumed it was $250 fine each time the pax smoked in the cabin. No. The HAL rep said the fine is a "huge deterrent" to smokers and they expect most to comply.

Just off the phone again with HAL in Seattle. Two different answers yesterday, now told today "for sure" how smoking in the cabins will be handled. (And thanks to Joanie for the head's up on this one, as per info she got recently on the Zuiderdam).

The $250 fine for smoking in the cabin is one-time per cruise only and is added to the passenger's onboard account at the end of the cruise. Translate that how you like, but it would appear nothing has changed other than to collect extra revenue from the smokers who choose to break that particular rule... and they can continue to break it throughout their cruise at no further cost. The "fine" is actually called a cleaning fee.

I will be re-thinking my future cruise plans. This is not intended to start the smoking war again, but is just to confirm how the policy is going to be applied after January 2012. Some CC members had assumed it was $250 fine each time the pax smoked in the cabin. No. The HAL rep said the fine is a "huge deterrent" to smokers and they expect most to comply.

Thanks for posting this. I was curious about how they'd handle it. I'm not a smoker, just very curious. After a few months, it will be interesting to find out if HAL has to deep-clean fewer cabins because of the fee.

Did they say when the fee would be assessed? Is it an adjustment to your onboard account at some point? Separate charge to your credit card? Do they tell you when they "catch" you? Again, just me being curious.

Call me a cynic, but I have to wonder how long it will be before there are "mistakes" made in making charges to those who did not smoke in their cabins---kind of like the "mistakes" in mini-bar charges we hear so much about.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

So it's basically like all non-smoking hotels. You get a one time fine when you check out. Not sure how this is extra revenue???? It just requires extra cleaning by the staff.

Call me a cynic, but I have to wonder how long it will be before there are "mistakes" made in making charges to those who did not smoke in their cabins---kind of like the "mistakes" in mini-bar charges we hear so much about.

Yeah, no kidding. After getting stung with a $60 mini bar error that I'm still waiting for the credit on I can see that happening. HAL needs to make sure their ducks are in a row before they start that up.

I can see Front Desk arguments over whether smoking was done in the cabin or not, with HAL often retracting the charge.

This was exactly what my first thought was. And who reports it? The cabin steward? Are you officially notified if the charges are placed against your account? What happens if the charge appears after you leave the ship? How do you dispute it? I think this is another HAL policy that has not been well thought out....Stay tuned....

Thanks for posting this. I was curious about how they'd handle it. I'm not a smoker, just very curious. After a few months, it will be interesting to find out if HAL has to deep-clean fewer cabins because of the fee.

Did they say when the fee would be assessed? Is it an adjustment to your onboard account at some point? Separate charge to your credit card? Do they tell you when they "catch" you? Again, just me being curious.

They said it is added to the onboard account at the end of the cruise. No idea about how or when they catch the smoker or how it's reported.

So it's basically like all non-smoking hotels. You get a one time fine when you check out. Not sure how this is extra revenue???? It just requires extra cleaning by the staff.

Isn't it extra revenue if they collect an extra $250 from some passengers? No doubt some will happily pay this to continue smoking in the cabin.

Full disclosure I am a smoker I have my first cruise ever booked with Hal for February. And I will not be smoking in the cabin I am actually on my front porch at home typing this while I have a smoke no one smokes in my house. This idea of a clean up fee is ludicrous -either u allow smoking in the cabins or u don't it's coming very close to the line re false advertising it is right in line with the rules re the chair hogs on the decks something I have seen countless comments about apparently there is a rule not to do it and yet its not enforced not a sound business model if u ask me

Mar56

Celebrity has the same policy in place for cabin smoking. I guess you could go over to their forum and find out how it is working with the fine assessment.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do?faqSubjectName=Ship+and+Stateroom+Details&faqId=572&pagename=faq_answers

Celebrity doesn't allow smoking on the balcony as well as cabins. Big difference.

I've gotten the impression that the charge was per violation on Celbrity and continued disregard of the policy would lead to being put off the ship.

We encountered no smoke on our recent Celibrity cruise except for the few areas designated for the smokers. We're crossing our fingers we'll have good luck on our upcoming Zuiderdamn cruise. I wish HAL had taken Princesses route and we wouldn't have to rely so much on luck. We have no great medical excuse, we just find cigarette smoke repulsive. We don't have to encounter it in our regular lives and prefer not to on vacation.

The Zuiderdam itineray is awesome.

It is always Captain's perogative to order someone off the ship if they have total disregard for rules and defy obeying those rules..... especially after being alerted to their failure to obey.

I would not assume a Captain might not enforce the stated rules.

Quite a big risk IMO

I've gotten the impression that the charge was per violation on Celbrity and continued disregard of the policy would lead to being put off the ship.

The Celebrity link above implies a one time fee. At least that is how I read it.

I really think most smokers will comply. Smoking is being banned in more and more places and smokers are adapting.

There's no way that a $250 fine could or would be levied on every violation.

One foreseeable problem is that smoking is allowed on the balcony and, with the door being opened and closed to the cabin, smoke or the smell of smoke possibly might drift into the cabin, leading the steward to believe the pax smoked in the cabin. The pax may never have smoked in the cabin yet would be given a fine. As a smoker, yes, I would argue the point that I had not broken any rule.

And it is a revenue-generating fine. It does not cost $250 to deep clean a cabin. Some here have reported it takes no time at all to do.

It is always Captain's perogative to order someone off the ship if they have total disregard for rules and defy obeying those rules..... especially after being alerted to their failure to obey.

I would not assume a Captain might not enforce the stated rules.

Quite a big risk IMO

I agree.

And there have been several removed from RCI cruises for a second violation.

One foreseeable problem is that smoking is allowed on the balcony and, with the door being opened and closed to the cabin, smoke or the smell of smoke possibly might drift into the cabin, leading the steward to believe the pax smoked in the cabin. The pax may never have smoked in the cabin yet would be given a fine. As a smoker, yes, I would argue the point that I had not broken any rule.

And it is a revenue-generating fine. It does not cost $250 to deep clean a cabin. Some here have reported it takes no time at all to do.

And the above is my concern as well

We encountered no smoke on our recent Celibrity cruise except for the few areas designated for the smokers. We're crossing our fingers we'll have good luck on our upcoming Zuiderdamn cruise. I wish HAL had taken Princesses route and we wouldn't have to rely so much on luck. We have no great medical excuse, we just find cigarette smoke repulsive. We don't have to encounter it in our regular lives and prefer not to on vacation.

The Zuiderdam itineray is awesome.

The Zuiderdam repositioning itinerary is the only reason we will stay with that booking. After that cruise we'll be looking at other cruise lines.

Thank you for the information.

I doubt if there will be any fewer smokers in the cabins.

The HAL rep said the fine is a "huge deterrent" to smokers and they expect most to comply.
That's because most smokers (and non-smokers) have enough respect and self-respect to adhere to a stated policy, even if they would personally prefer it to be different.

That, after all, is what being grown-up is all about.

The stated policy is perfectly clear: "no smoking in the cabins". The existence of a fine for a breach of the policy doesn't make the policy any less unambiguous. Anyone who thinks that a fine suddenly turns the policy into "actually, we're allowing you to smoke in the cabin for a $250 fee" is just being wishfully self-indulgent.

And as for the supposed difficulty in enforcing this, it's not as if land-based hotels have had insuperable difficulties with similar policies.

Good point Peaches - I never thought of the smell of smoke drifting into the cabin

just off the phone again with hal in seattle. Two different answers yesterday, now told today "for sure" how smoking in the cabins will be handled. (and thanks to joanie for the head's up on this one, as per info she got recently on the zuiderdam).

The $250 fine for smoking in the cabin is one-time per cruise only and is added to the passenger's onboard account at the end of the cruise. Translate that how you like, but it would appear nothing has changed other than to collect extra revenue from the smokers who choose to break that particular rule... And they can continue to break it throughout their cruise at no further cost. The "fine" is actually called a cleaning fee.

I will be re-thinking my future cruise plans. This is not intended to start the smoking war again, but is just to confirm how the policy is going to be applied after january 2012. Some cc members had assumed it was $250 fine each time the pax smoked in the cabin. No. The hal rep said the fine is a "huge deterrent" to smokers and they expect most to comply.

holy smoke!

Archived