New to RC, few questions.

First, on those ports where you are docked overnight.... do you have to leave the ship and stay in a hotel?

If not, can you come and go as you please?

I ask this because the roll call thread is full of advertisements for tours claiming 1/2 off RC's prices. But they require hotel stay which is extra $$. I'd rather just go to the one excursion one day, come back to the ship and then take the next excursion the next day...no hotel involved.

Second, we are stuck with 9pm dining as earlier seating is full. 9pm is too late. Yes, I'll keep checking-especially closer to sail date and once on board to see if I can get that changed....but if all else fails- what are the dining options if you don't eat in the main dining room? (the ones included in the cruise fare)

Third, anyone sail Carnival and RC? What are the main differences? Any tips or advice for a first timer to RC from Carnival?

Thanks!

No you dont have to stay in a hotel. If people are spamming and advertising on your roll call, you can click and report them.

You can come and go as you please.

When you get onboard, go early to see the maitre d' and ask to get it changed.

Iv cruised on both .. but the what is different has been covered so many times, Ill let that one go for others to answer. there isnt anything that specific to me different.

No you never have to stay in a hotel and are really expected to be back onboard (very limited excursions (Itineraries) require an off ship overnight)...Keep checking the dining time options you should also be on a waitlist..If all else fails check when you get onboard..or opt for anytime dining/buffet/specialty restaurants...This will work itself out don't be worried..I wouldn't want to eat at 9:00pm either..I would opt when given the choice to sail RCI..Carnival not my taste in cruiselines...sorry to those that sail Carnival...JMHO

Depending on where you are travelling to you would normally come back to the ship and stay on board - I believe one trip you don't is on the Jewel to St Petersburg when I do believe you can/do stay over night there if you wish? There may be others? Depends on ship/Itinery.

I don't believe you can come and go after a certain time of night - they have an all aboard time posted to let you know when expected back.

Food wise, again depends on your ship but there is the Windjammer Buffet restaurant which is open for all meals - breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks etc. Shuts around late evening.

On the Royal Promenade there is the Promenade Cafe and Sorrento's - you will have one or both depending on your ship - the Oasis and Allure have other options but I don't know them sorry.

You can order room service as well - this is included but you usually need to tip the person who delivers.

Pay extra options are Johnny Rockets, Chops & Portofino's

I suggest going up to the MDR (main dining room) on embarkation day and see if you can switch top the earlier seating time or MTD (My time Dining) where you eat when you want between MDR opening hours.

Call whoever you booked with and get put on a "wait-list" for your desired dining time/option....you have a choice of main seating (traditional dining) or MTD/Anytime where you can eat at the time of your choosing. On RCI, if you do the My Time Dining option, you'll be required to pay your tips when you book that option, as you may not have the same servers nightly. On Carnival, they simply charge your tips to your account daily.

There is no curfew when docked overnight...come and go as you please...the ship IS your hotel! Apparently, some of the tours you're looking at travel a great distance from the ship and would require an overnight elsewhere. You are under no obligation to take those excursions...or ANY excursion, for that matter! Many things can be done on your own, but you will need to know something about the places you'll visit! Get a guidebook!

Second, we are stuck with 9pm dining as earlier seating is full. 9pm is too late. Yes, I'll keep checking-especially closer to sail date and once on board to see if I can get that changed....but if all else fails- what are the dining options if you don't eat in the main dining room? (the ones included in the cruise fare)

Third, anyone sail Carnival and RC? What are the main differences? Any tips or advice for a first timer to RC from Carnival?

Thanks!

Call RCL or whoever you booked the cruise through and ask if My Time Dining is available. When we booked our Christmas cruise, early seating was full. When I called to find out about MTD, I was told it was full but I was wait listed. When I called back about something else, I inquired about the wait list and was told we were in for MTD. My reservation on RCL shows that to be accurate so we are set. I wouldn't wait until you're on board, especially since chances are good your sailing will be full.

Differences between Carnival and RCL? There are many threads on this if you run a search, but primarily it comes down to decor. Carnival tends to be old Vegas ( think Flamingo) while RC tends to be center strip (think Bellagio). Ports are similar, food is similar, service is similar. All aspects vary from ship to ship, but I've never had a bad cruise on either. Loyalists on both boards will argue to the death but it all comes down to personal preferences.

Carnival tends to be old Vegas ( think Flamingo) while RC tends to be center strip (think Bellagio). Ports are similar, food is similar, service is similar. All aspects vary from ship to ship, but I've never had a bad cruise on either. Loyalists on both boards will argue to the death but it all comes down to personal preferences.

Love it! When I go to Vegas, I actually stay downtown- Golden Nugget is my favorite. I visit the Bellagio, Cosmo, etc...but I am old school. So this I can understand.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Will call my travel agent tomorrow and request to be put on the waiting list for the earlier dining.

I can do Cairo one day and come back to the ship. Cairo is about 3hrs away and even RC offers the 12 hr excursion. And the next day to Alexandria- close by. So you are right- why are people trying to sell me a hotel package?

thanks again

Archived