Early disembarkation times?

elycelynne

For disembarkation in Ft. Lauderdale, I was wondering what time the first group is usually called? The reason I ask is because Continental Airlines has seen fit, in its "wisdom", to move my flight up a half hour so that it's now at 11:05 instead of 11:35. This also now kills any possibility of using Luggage Direct. I know that self-disembark is REALLY early and I'm wondering if I'll have to do that, or if I can get away with going with the early group?

And I REALLY don't understand Continental's decision -- It's their only nonstop flight that day, and they should realize that this will put their passengers at a mad scramble to make that flight. Sorry for venting, but I'm not happy! :mad:

Airlines don't make their schedules just for the cruisers. There are probably only a handful of you from the cruise that will be on that flight.

If all has gone right -- the self-disembarkation people usually start to leave the ship around 7:30 -- you have to be able to carry everything off the ship yourself.

Then the regular disembarkation starts around 8 or 8:15. If you can be in that group -- and all has gone well -- you should be able to catch that 11:05 flight. It's a little close.

Customs and immigration at the pier goes quickly.

It's the checking in luggage and security lines at the airport that can be long.

Good luck.

Airlines don't make their schedules just for the cruisers. There are probably only a handful of you from the cruise that will be on that flight.

If all has gone right -- the self-disembarkation people usually start to leave the ship around 7:30 -- you have to be able to carry everything off the ship yourself.

Then the regular disembarkation starts around 8 or 8:15. If you can be in that group -- and all has gone well -- you should be able to catch that 11:05 flight. It's a little close.

Customs and immigration at the pier goes quickly.

It's the checking in luggage and security lines at the airport that can be long.

Good luck.

There are 4 or 5 other ships returning to FLL that day, so with all the cruises, there would probably be more than just a handful of us from my cruise.

But in any event, I called and complained enough so that they agreed to cancel my reservation, issue a credit and do a one-time only waive of the $150 change fee for when I book with them again. (It was actually United that I booked with, but the flight is operated by Continental.) I rebooked with Southwest, who had a comparable flight time to FLL, and got a 1:15 nonstop return flight. It cost more, but since Southwest doesn't charge for checked bags I'll only be paying $50 more for peace of mind. Well worth it, in my opinion!:D

Great outcome.

Jet blue changed ours too.... From 1:15p to 12:10p. Not as much of an issue as yours but enough to go "seriously??."

While I'm venting, my flight heading to the cruise was changed too... From 11:45a to 8:20a... We fly in the day before, and I really was hoping to take it easy, sleep in... Relax...

Great outcome.

Jet blue changed ours too.... From 1:15p to 12:10p. Not as much of an issue as yours but enough to go "seriously??."

While I'm venting, my flight heading to the cruise was changed too... From 11:45a to 8:20a... We fly in the day before, and I really was hoping to take it easy, sleep in... Relax...

Well, you can always think of it as extra time you get to spend in FLL! ;)

Thanks to elycelynne for posting this information! Continental has yet to see fit to email me with this schedule change. It's puts a wrench in our plans to use Luggage Direct so in that regard it's very disappointing.

There are 4 or 5 other ships returning to FLL that day, so with all the cruises, there would probably be more than just a handful of us from my cruise.

But in any event, I called and complained enough so that they agreed to cancel my reservation, issue a credit and do a one-time only waive of the $150 change fee for when I book with them again. (It was actually United that I booked with, but the flight is operated by Continental.) I rebooked with Southwest, who had a comparable flight time to FLL, and got a 1:15 nonstop return flight. It cost more, but since Southwest doesn't charge for checked bags I'll only be paying $50 more for peace of mind. Well worth it, in my opinion!:D

That is Great!!

Now you can use luggage direct -- don't have to worry about luggage until you get home -- no stress getting off the ship and to the airport, etc.

Have a great cruise!!

Well done - a good IMO and I am glad you got some fees waived. $50 is more than worth it for peace of mind and a stress free last day. Enjoy your cruise :)

In all of the things that the airline has to take into consideration, the wishes of low-yield low-frequency cruise ship passengers is probably a looooong way down the list.

That is Great!!

Now you can use luggage direct -- don't have to worry about luggage until you get home -- no stress getting off the ship and to the airport, etc.

Have a great cruise!!

Thanks! Do you know offhand how many bags per person Luggage Direct allows? Is it 1 or 2? And if did use Luggage Direct, with my 1:15 flight time would I be in the last disembarkation group?

Thanks! Do you know offhand how many bags per person Luggage Direct allows? Is it 1 or 2? And if did use Luggage Direct, with my 1:15 flight time would I be in the last disembarkation group?

If you wil be usuing Luggage Direct, it really won't matter what departure group you are in, since you will not need to worry about your luggage being available -- it won't be available to you, since it will already be on a truck heading to the airport.

More importantly, does Southwest participate in the Luggage Direct program. We do not usually fly Southwest, so I do not recall if they are one of the participating airlines.

Ray in NH

More importantly, does Southwest participate in the Luggage Direct program. We do not usually fly Southwest, so I do not recall if they are one of the participating airlines.

Ray in NH

I believe they do participate now in Ft. Lauderdale.

The last time I came through there ('09), Southwest did not participate there, but ran their own, almost identical, program. You collected your luggage and cleared Immigration/Customs, then approached the Southwest rep outside. You paid him, your bags were taken to a truck, you were given a receipt, and next saw your bags at your home airport.

I think they are part of the "official" program now, but if not, the separate program works fine, too.

Do you know offhand how many bags per person Luggage Direct allows?

You can check as many bags as you like. You will be charged the airline excess bags/excess weight charges.

Sometimes this can even be a problem. There have been reports from those who have airline perqs of free bags being charged when they would not have been, had they checked in at the airport.

Archived