Live From The Ruby Princess Med-T/A 10-19-11

Woobstr112G

Greetings from the Ruby somewhere in the Tyrrhenian Sea between Civitavecchia and Livorno! We've had a couple of splendid days with no time to post or blog. We had a full day tour yesterday with Biagio of Drive Amalfi and today with Marco of Rome Connections. Both days were absolutely wonderful except for the fact we came back pooped. I'm behind on my blog mainly because I haven't had time to look at the many photos we've taken to select a few to add. It's a hard job since we took so many and saw so many wonderful things.

The blog is at http://finsatsea.blogspot.com/ As I said I'm behind but when we get a break in a couple of days I shall endeavor to catch up.

So far everything has been absolutely wonderful. The weather gods have cooperated. The food has been outstanding and the service has been excellent! I can't think of a thing which could be improved at the moment.

Dobie, we wish you were here. We see Tom and Mary and the Countess every night and think of you and Roger. Hugs to you both.

Ciao for now. We have another early and long day tomorrow. More wine, cheese, olive oil and vinegar to taste :)

thanks Ann for your updates and will jump right over to your blog.

Have a fantastic cruise with Bob and Holli.

we love reading all the threads - esp bob's - and ann's blog

even tho some of us could not sail with the rhr :o, at least we can

enjoy the enthusiasm and photos thru them !!;)

continue to experience another marvelous journey !

we shall be on carnival glory snorkling for 3 weeks in november

and hope to go to europe - british isles & sweden & amsterdam in april

2013 - anxiously awaiting the itineraries to open in spring 2012

hope to sail with some of you again someday !!:)

ann & jim in calimesa

Good evening from the Ruby Princess. We have sailed from Florence are en route to Canne. Today we went to Siena and saw the Duomo di Siena church. We then went to a great lunch at a great out of the way restaurant. Then it was off to a winery for tastings. I skipped the wine tasting because I wasn't feeling well. This head/chest cold is really sapping me of all my energy. I plan to skip Canne tomorrow to rest up and hopefully feel better. The Captain said winds were suppose to be around 20 and rain was projected with it being heavy in the morning.

Take Care All

Bob

Maybe someone reading this can help me make a decision. Here is my issue. I am wanting to sign up for a Med Cruise and there are 4 that seems to really fit the bill Ruby Princess is the one that is the most attractive because of the ports and the actual ship itself but it is also seems to be 2 grand more then the others we are 4 people husband wife and two older children and would share a large suite or get two seperate rooms. The others which have similar itineraries are NCL Sprit but seems very old and run down and the Holland America Nu Amerstadam also the New Carnival Breeze.....The main place I want to go are Venice, Barcelona and Tuscany, Rome and Mykonos. Like I said the Ruby looks like the best ship but the rooms seem really tiny compared to the other ships and for 2 grand more I don't get it. Any thoughts?

Good evening from the Ruby Princess. We have sailed from Florence are en route to Canne. Today we went to Siena and saw the Duomo di Siena church. We then went to a great lunch at a great out of the way restaurant. Then it was off to a winery for tastings. I skipped the wine tasting because I wasn't feeling well. This head/chest cold is really sapping me of all my energy. I plan to skip Canne tomorrow to rest up and hopefully feel better. The Captain said winds were suppose to be around 20 and rain was projected with it being heavy in the morning.

Take Care All

Bob

Although not really a drinker myself, maybe a few good shots of whiskey can knock that cold right out of you. If nothing else, it may make you feel a great deal better.

GET WELL

Good afternoon from the Ruby Princess. We are still tendered off Canne. It has been raining all day. Had breakfast this morning in Cafe Cajribe. The food was actually good. Overall I'd say the HC food has exceeded my eectations since my negative experience on the Golden. I've been taking it easy today tryng to shake this cold. Went to the steam room today and afterwards I felt 100% better. DW has a massage scheduled later. We plan on going to dinner in the MDR tonight then seeing a hypnotist in the Princess Theater.

Take Care All.....:):):)

Bob

Maybe someone reading this can help me make a decision. Here is my issue. I am wanting to sign up for a Med Cruise and there are 4 that seems to really fit the bill Ruby Princess is the one that is the most attractive because of the ports and the actual ship itself but it is also seems to be 2 grand more then the others we are 4 people husband wife and two older children and would share a large suite or get two seperate rooms. The others which have similar itineraries are NCL Sprit but seems very old and run down and the Holland America Nu Amerstadam also the New Carnival Breeze.....The main place I want to go are Venice, Barcelona and Tuscany, Rome and Mykonos. Like I said the Ruby looks like the best ship but the rooms seem really tiny compared to the other ships and for 2 grand more I don't get it. Any thoughts?

book the Ruby and then save your money by booking your airfare thru Aer Lingus...you will be amazed at their prices.

My sister, brother-in-law, close friend, and myself are talking about taking the 19 day Med cruise across the Atlantic leaving Oct 9, 2012. Same cruise? Wondering about Atlantic weather & rough seas. Looking forward reading about your trip. Please include your excursions. Have a great time!;)

My sister, brother-in-law, close friend, and myself are talking about taking the 19 day Med cruise across the Atlantic leaving Oct 9, 2012. Same cruise? Wondering about Atlantic weather & rough seas. Looking forward reading about your trip. Please include your excursions. Have a great time!;)

I wanted so bad to do next year's cruise because of the inclusion of Casablanca. Alas it was not to be. I've done two crossings early in October qnd the weather was perfect. Since this year's crossing was two weeks later I've noted a significant difference in the weather the bad side.....

Bob

Come join our roll call for the Ruby. Are you from Santa Cruz? born and raised there.::D

Read something today that said that the hop-on, hop-off bus in Barcelona is only available during the summer months. For those of you who will be wandering around Barcelona...could you check to see if the bus is running now? We're on the Ruby next October and hope this bus is available so we can see all the highlights.

Thanks,

Pat

Read something today that said that the hop-on, hop-off bus in Barcelona is only available during the summer months. For those of you who will be wandering around Barcelona...could you check to see if the bus is running now? We're on the Ruby next October and hope this bus is available so we can see all the highlights.

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/tour/barcelona-bus-tour.html

The Barcelona Tour Buses run all year round from 09:00 and 09:30(when they leave from Ronda Universitat, Plaza Catalunya, Montjuic and Colon) until 19:00 (winter) and 20:00 (summer). The only days of the year when they do not run are 25th December and 1st January. Times may also vary on 24th December, 31st December and 5th January.

Good morning from Barcelona. Weather is beautiful today. 100% better than yesterday. I also feel much better than I did yesterday. We will be taking the shuttle bus a little later. Plan to walk around a bit and take some pictures. After that head back to the ship.

Bob

Good afternoon from the Ruby Princess. We are preparing to set sail from Barcelona. Had a wonderful day in port. This was our third time to Barcelona so we just took the shuttle and walked Las Rambles. Took in the sights and took a lot of great pictures. A very nice and relaxing day. Right now they are announcing for several passengers that haven't checked in yet. Sure hope they don't miss the ship.

Tonight we are going to have dinner in the MDR. Tomorrow night we, along with a number of roll call members, are having dinner in Sabatinis. Should be a great time.

Bob

Good afternoon from the Ruby Princess. We are preparing to set sail from Barcelona. Had a wonderful day in port. This was our third time to Barcelona so we just took the shuttle and walked Las Rambles. Took in the sights and took a lot of great pictures. A very nice and relaxing day. Right now they are announcing for several passengers that haven't checked in yet. Sure hope they don't miss the ship.

Tonight we are going to have dinner in the MDR. Tomorrow night we, along with a number of roll call members, are having dinner in Sabatinis. Should be a great time.

Bob

Are you going to try for the Chef's Table on this cruise?

We did the Chef's table forthe first time last night, absolutely wonderful, well worth every penny. They are running 6 of them this cruise and it is still wait listed

Terry

I have done the Chef's Table several times and it never disappoints. It is becomning more and more popular and I guess that is why they are doing 6 of them.

After a rainy yet enjoyable day in Cannes yesterday, we had an absolutely glorious day in Barcelona today. The weather could not have been better. We took the shuttle as well and then walked up Las Ramblas. We detoured through the Gothic Quarter where we saw the Cathedral (not Sagrada Familia) and had lunch at one of our favorite tapas restaurants. After a wonderful visit to La Boqueria Market and watching several of the splendid mimes we headed back to the ship. Barcelona is truly one of our favorite cities. We were able to spend several days here before a cruise last year and are planning to do the same thing again next year.

Tomorrow is a much needed sea day. We need a vacation from the vacation!

:)Bob, Thanks for taking everyone along on your cruise. We'll be on the Ruby when she returns to the Med in April. Your tour to Siena & the Chianti region sounds interesting. Could you let us know who you used for your private tour? Thanks, Roseanne

Thanks, Bob. We'll be on the Ruby for the first time in Dec for our first New Year's cruise. Thanks for all the posts on activities. Could you tell me what the gym is like and what kind of classes they have, please?

Take care,

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/tour/barcelona-bus-tour.html

The Barcelona Tour Buses run all year round from 09:00 and 09:30(when they leave from Ronda Universitat, Plaza Catalunya, Montjuic and Colon) until 19:00 (winter) and 20:00 (summer). The only days of the year when they do not run are 25th December and 1st January. Times may also vary on 24th December, 31st December and 5th January.

Caribill...thanks so much for the info and the link. Hope you had a great day in Barcelona!!

Pat

Good morning from the Ruby Princess. Slow internet today. Today is a leisurely day at sea en route to Lisbon. Funny thing about the weather. The Patters said it was suppose to be partially cloudy all day. Right now it's total overcast and rain. Not much planned for today. Might watch a couple of movies I have on my IPad or read my Kindle. Tonight a group from our roll call are having dinner in Sabatinis.

Today's entertainment is Beyonce in concert (MUTS) at 1200. Trux 2 will be doing aerobatics in the Piazza at 1300 & 1445. After that music melodies by the ship's musicians between 1645 & 2130. MUTS also has the movie Help at 1300 with Ghostbusters playing at 1530. The evening movie will be Source Code at 1915 & 2215. In Club Fusion there will be pre dinner ballroom dancing between 1715 & 1800. Pianist Pawel Pokora will be in Adagio between 1915 & 2330. Dancing to the Jess Beck Quartet will be in the Wheelhouse Bar between 1930 - 2030 & 2115 - 2245. In the Explorers lounge there will be comedic hypnotist David Knight at 2030 & 2230. In the princess theater there will be the production show Stardust at 2030 & 2230.

Hope all have a great day.....:):):)

Bob

Archived