Wine Packages

DCCruiser57

As I mentioned in my post about recent complimentary wines, we were offered the opportunity to purchase various wine packages. Not sure if this is something new (we did not have such an opportunity on our last SS cruise) or something unique to our particular cruise. It appeared to be wines from the connoissuer list. Although I did not compare all of the packages I did do several. The wines in the Rhone Valley package totaled $160 versus $125 or a savings of about 22 percent if bought separately; the New World package totaled $255 versus $200 or a savings of about 22 percent if bought separately; and the wines in the Tuscany 1 package totaled $700 versus $600 or a savings of about 14 percent if bought separately. Here's the list of the various packages.

Red Bordeaux 1 - $815

Chateau Pichon, Grand Cru 2001

Chateau Palmer, Grand Cru 2001

Chateau Cos D’Estournel 2005

Rhone Valley - $125

Tardieu-Laurant, Hermitage 2007

Tardieu-Laurant, Gigondas 2007

Delas Freres Les Rienages, Gigondas 2000

Tuscany 1 - $600

Antinori Solaia 2007

Sassicaia 2007

Ornellaia 2006

Tuscany 2 - $175

Banfi Belnero 2007

Ciacci, Brunello Di Montalcino 2004

Castellare, Poggi Ai Merli 2003

Piedmont - $175

Parusso, Barolo, 35 Anniversari 2005

Parusso, Barbera D’Alba 2006

Pellissero, Barbaresco 2006

New World Pinot Noir - $200

Pappapietro, Russian River 2007

Londer, Napa Valley 2007

Comaine Carneros, Carneros 2006

Domaine Drouhin, Oregon 2007

Lands Edge, Russian River 2007

Southern Hemisphere - $175

Archaval Ferre, Quimera 2007

Kanonkop, Pinotage 2007

Mitolo Serpico, Cabernet 2007

Felton Road, Pinot Noir 2009

California - $250

Vlader, Proprietary Blend 2003

Paul Hobbs, Cabernet Sauvignon 2006

Justin, Cabernet Sauvignon 2008

St. Jean, Cinq Cepages 2006

Champagne - $400

Krug N.V.

Bollinger Grand Annee 2000

Pommery Cuvee Luise 1999

Sommelier’s Pick - $850

Dom Perignon Rose 1998

Batard Montrachet, Louis Jadot 2006

Insignia 2006

I wonder if wine packages are only available on select cruises? I asked the Silversea "information desk" email about this and I just received this response:

Thank you for your email. We do not offer wine packages, but a complete list of connoisseur wines is available on board in each restaurant. Please note we offer an extensive array of complimentary wines-domestic and foreign including wines from the US, Italy, France, South America, South Africa, Germany as an example.

Thank you.

Regards

informationdesk@silversea.com

• 7 months later...

Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I'm looking fwd to my first Silversea cruise in July.

How is the sweet/desert wine selection?

I would be more than willing to purchase a bottle of Chateau d'Yquem that I could use throughout the journey...

It seems to me to be one big advantage of a line like Silversea; you'd need an attentive staff to know that the wine is yours, take care of it and present it each night. Having a wine like that to help bridge each meal and the memories that result sounds very appealing to me.

Mmmmm.... Chateau d'Yquem! This is as close as they let you get, unless (we hear) you're a serious member of the wine industry. They were looking at us funny when we just stopped at the gate to take the picture! Would love to do a tasting there...:(

London%2520to%2520Paris-183.jpgLondon%2520to%2520Paris-184.jpg

Drivingrain,

You might be better off bringing a bottle of Chateau d'Yquem aboard with you.

Oh, that's probably not possible for me. I've carried 60 bottles of Belgian beer back via checked luggage so I have experience with this, but this trip would be too much of a hassle. Not only are the bags connecting, but they're interlining a few times over and it will be in the middle of summer. I'd much rather leave it to my luxury cruise line to have the wine on their list!

It's an expensive wine, but readily available; Silversea really doesnt carry it? Ever? If so, that's a bit surprising. How does Silversea do with desert wines in general?

I wonder if wine packages are only available on select cruises? I asked the Silversea "information desk" email about this and I just received this response:

Thank you for your email. We do not offer wine packages, but a complete list of connoisseur wines is available on board in each restaurant. Please note we offer an extensive array of complimentary wines-domestic and foreign including wines from the US, Italy, France, South America, South Africa, Germany as an example.

Thank you.

Regards

informationdesk@silversea.com

Interesting so which one is correct?

Interesting so which one is correct?

Assume it depends on whether they have some extra wine in the ship's hold that they want to move out. Would interpret the information desk's response as saying that they don't regularly do this on every voyage. In our 3 cloud/wind voyages, we have not yet seen it - but would enjoy and participate if they offer it next month.

Suspect it's a "local" decision made by the onboard personnel. We've participated in something similar once on O a number of years ago...:) Obviously, from the OPs experience, it has happened on SS as well. Suppose we'll have to wait until we're onboard to find out.

Oh, that's probably not possible for me. I've carried 60 bottles of Belgian beer back via checked luggage so I have experience with this, but this trip would be too much of a hassle. Not only are the bags connecting, but they're interlining a few times over and it will be in the middle of summer. I'd much rather leave it to my luxury cruise line to have the wine on their list!

It's an expensive wine, but readily available; Silversea really doesnt carry it? Ever? If so, that's a bit surprising. How does Silversea do with desert wines in general?

Hi Drivingrain, was on the Cloud in April and although there was no d'Yquem onboard they did have Chateau Climens at a very reasonable price (1/2 bottles, just one vintage). It would be a very reasonable alternative.

Unlike "wine included packages" on economy cruise lines, this one sounds like selling prepackaged sets of connoiseur wines at a discount (like buying a package of wine in a store instead of individual bottles in the same store)?!

Unlike "wine included packages" on economy cruise lines, this one sounds like selling prepackaged sets of connoiseur wines at a discount (like buying a package of wine in a store instead of individual bottles in the same store)?!

I'm not sure that I understand your post properly.

The bottles aren't physically packaged together, they are individual bottles of generally very good wines, but it's a "package" because by buying them together, SS offers a discount on the Connoisseur's List prices for them individually.

We like wine. We especially like good wine. So we very much enjoy having the opportunity to enjoy fine wines with dinner at a better price than we can find them in a restaurant at home. Yes, even when we're at home in France.

In our opinion, it's a great deal for wine connoisseurs who wish to partake of it.

Nigella, you might be interested in knowing that on our Spirit cruise last week, we had a bottle every night from the Connoisseur's List. We didn't particularly like the printed 'packages' so one was made for us. We had a different bottle everynight. Norman knew our tastes and price range and he kept it within those guide lines and then presented us with our bill at the end which was very reasonable.

... a "package" because by buying them together, SS offers a discount on the Connoisseur's List prices for them individually...

That is what I mean, thank you. It is not like by paying a fixed sum, you can have free beer or whatever, as on some economy lines.

Archived