Fruit, Cheese & Wine basket! Is it worth it?

musicorn

I am just looking at the gifts section online and thought I might buy myself a treat for in my cabin as we board.

Has anybody ordered the Fruit, Cheese & Wine basket for US$45? If so, what was in it and was it worth it?

Thanks

Get 2 fruit plates and 2 cheese plates from room service and spring for a

bottle of wine. It will be cheaper! I would not pay for it as a package.

if you want to treat yourself to something, the chocolate covered strawberries

sounds good. chocolate & wine is a good pair!

You can go to the Windjammer buffet and make your own cheese and fruit plate( with some great bread) for $0. Just pay for a bottle of wine. The cheese plate thru' room service is a bit skimpy.

I think this sounds like the way to go. I have ordered a wine package so will grab a bottle and send the Hubby and son to get some food from the buffet. Thanks for your help. :)

I have been gifted this many times and it ends up going to waste..fruit & cheese gets moldy pretty quick.. not worth it..The chocolate covered strawberrys (or seasonal fruit) DH does eat..but still I think a waste of $$'s...sooo much food on the ship..having it in my cabin not necessary...JMHO.

I have been gifted this many times and it ends up going to waste..fruit & cheese gets moldy pretty quick.. not worth it..The chocolate covered strawberrys (or seasonal fruit) DH does eat..but still I think a waste of $$'s...sooo much food on the ship..having it in my cabin not necessary...JMHO.

Thanks. I have decided to just get a bottle of wine and see what time we get into our cabin. If we want nibbles with the wine I will visit the buffet. :D

I am thinking about setting up a table with cash register at the entrance of the windjammer and charge people $10 to eat.

I bet hundreds would actually pay....

Mat....I have to say that most of your comments are just shy of totally annoying, but this was pretty funny!!!!! ;)

Get 2 fruit plates and 2 cheese plates from room service and spring for a

bottle of wine. It will be cheaper! I would not pay for it as a package.

if you want to treat yourself to something, the chocolate covered strawberries

sounds good. chocolate & wine is a good pair!

The chocolate covered strawberries are available for free too. I ordered them one time as a welcome onboard gift to myself. I was not happy to see that I had paid for something I could get for free.

The chocolate covered strawberries are available for free too. I ordered them one time as a welcome onboard gift to myself. I was not happy to see that I had paid for something I could get for free.

I have never seen Chocolate Covered Strawberries for free on a RCL ship, I must not be in the right places at the right times. :(

I have never seen Chocolate Covered Strawberries for free on a RCL ship, I must not be in the right places at the right times. :(

We get them delivered to our cabin. We also get chocolate biscuits. These are free. This is because we are D+

Order the fruit and cheese plates through room service or get them from the WJ. So much easier and a WHOLE LOT CHEAPER! It was so nice to just order wine and have the snacks for free!

Watch out for the chocolate strawberries. For our first cruise last year, we decided to spring for the chocolate covered strawberries (I thought we'd be all romantic). When they arrived, they were sweating from the temperature change. This caused the chocolate to fall off the berries. Also, they needed to be eaten in that one sitting. We wanted to save them for later (after dinner) and by the time they got back, they were already turning bad. After that, we probably won't do that again.

• 3 years later...

I had the fruit, cheese, and champagne basket quite a few years ago and ordered it again (sans champagne) this time. I remember the fruit having apples and pears, but not sure what else. I was alone at the time so the cheese did go bad as I wasn't able to finish the whole thing so it was sad to see the waste.

On the other hand, I admit it would be cheaper to get it free at the Windjammer, but I'm paying to be totally and utterly lazy as I can possibly attain when I'm on a cruise ship. After driving four hours to park, lugging suitcases on and off a shuttle, and going through the whole terminal embarkation thing....I have no desire to walk the length of a ship twice to get some free cheese. I like unpacking my stuff, kicking off the shoes, and relaxing on the balcony with snacks in hand. It's lazy. It's money thrown away. But that's the price I pay for convenience. I say every man for themselves! :D

they are served nightly in both the D Lounge and the C Lounge( and I assume the Suite lounge where applicable) plus I have also seen them every so often in the Windjammer during the 'afternoon tea' period between lunch and dinner.

also it is is not unheard of for the Hotel Director to gift Ds and up regardless of cabin a plate for the First Formal night.