Cruising with kids

meggie711

We have one child (a souvenir from our 2008 cruise) and can't wait for him to experience cruising. We don't plan to go before 2013 with him, but it made me wonder, what do you think is a good age for a first cruise? We're not looking for anything major as it would be his first. More than likely a quick Bahamas trip to see how he does (and how we do.. lol).

We don't fly and are within 3 hours driving distance of several ports, so it would be relatively inexpensive and not a whole lot of effort thrown into it. He's an only child, so it would be just the three of us (unless we convince friends and their only child to go). He's very easy going, very curious, pretty darn well-behaved. I'm shooting for a cruise when he turns 5, but was curious to hear your thoughts, pro's/con's, likes/dislikes, "wish we woulda".. etc.

Oh, that's one thing I was going to add - we don't plan to use the kids club or anything like that. Nothing against it, he's just always stayed with family and I'm not used to dropping him off with people I haven't known most of my life. lol

We have one child as well (DD who is 7) who we have taken on 2 cruise. We took her on her first cruise when she was 5. We had considered taking her earlier, but glad we did not. We wanted her to be old enough to be able to go to the kids club without a problem. Also wanted her to be comfortable in the pool/water. In our case, she had to be able to fly (aka sit still and occupy herself for a few hours). We did a 7 day Western Caribbean for her first cruise. We did have the advantage of the grandparents coming along. Big advantage of that was that at dinner it was just a table of 5 of us (we were on Princess and had anytime dinning) Don't think I would take her to dinner and sit with other folks without kids. Bringing a child along does change the cruise experience somewhat. Late nights at the club were generally out as was sleeping in late. You are also limited in the type of excursions you can do (no zip lining, more beaches) and some of the shows you can take your child to (no late adult themed shows) There is also the great feeling to watch you child's eyes light up with all the things to see and do. 5 was a good age for a first cruise. Old enough to be able to do certain things and not as high maintenance as a younger child. DW enjoyed getting DD all dressed up for formal night. Not sure what line you plan to go on. but make sure to find out info about the kids club. Kids club on Princess was great and DD really enjoyed it. We did go during the school year so there were less kids onboard which was probably good. I think there was no more than 30-40 kids in her age group in the kids club which was nice.

There is one big down side to taking your child on a cruise, they tend to want to go back......On her second cruise she was telling my FIL who was on his first cruise what to do. I think we created a cruise monster...

Tim

My 2 cents 3 or so. COmes down to what you enjoy on vacation and if a cruise with a child younger or older is the vacation you want.

For us its value of different ports ( excursions ), the 3 sitdown meals, tea, pool and entertainment.

You mention not letting them go to kids club. Hang by the pool all day, eat buffet, enjoy the entertainment with kid in tow? Having a 3 or any younger kid sit thru breakfast, lunch, tea, and sitdown dinner and all the other "adult" stuff is a task.

Part of our cruise enjoyment is that they enjoy the kids club and many of the activities and all the adult stuff too, usually doesn't start happen till they are 5 or older.

I have to 2nd letting him try the club...after all, at 5, he'll be headed soon to school! Giving a kid some independence helps them develop!

But, you can take them at almost any age....it will simply be a different sort of vacation with toddlers than it is with older children.

We took our girl on her first cruise at 23 months (she actually cruised at minus five months so that probably explains why she never gets motion sickness:)). My hubby was at first reluctant to take her on a vacation (and we couldn't see leaving her with any of the grandparents as there would be hurt feelings, etc.). So we only took her on long daytrips (Sea World in San Diego), Disneyland.

We tried her on a three-day cruise from our home port (with a hotel stay in San Diego to fill out the week). She was one month too young to be in Camp Carnival. So she was with us the whole time, but it was great watching her explore the ship. She also enjoyed the production show (we sat in the back ready for a quick exit, if needed), but we prepared her by taking her to a Blues Clues show the month before.

The next year we took her on her first flight and a week-long cruise. There wasn't any hesitation to let her take part in the kids' program. In fact, she started calling it "ship school", asking each morning if ship school was open yet. The counselors are trained, many are school teachers (if it's during school breaks).

I really suggest to the OP that they take their child up to the kids' room. Let him meet the other kids and check out the toys. There should be a day-by-day schedule of activities for the age group in your cabin when you first get there. Else pick one up at the open house that afternoon or mandatory registration meeting that night. This is your child's vacation too and playing with the other kids may be his idea of fun. Plus, he'll either be in kindergarten by that time or about to enter it next year. You'll be handing over your kid over to other adults on a daily basis so that's something for you to get used to.

Ok ok.. we will give the kids club a try. ;) I always thought they looked like they were having fun..

We are "loyal to Royal", so we will more than likely do RCCL or NCL (been wanting to try them). As far as meals, we will probably do the low-key route (buffets, pizza bars, etc.). Cruising (for me & hubby) has always been more about scenery, checking out the ship, pool time, and exploring in the ports of call, and less about the dining, shows, etc. (is that weird??). I imagine that we would take him to one dinner in the formal dining room (as that's an experience in itself), but mainly stick to alternative dining.

Thanks for the tip about the family board! I swear I looked and looked for cruising with kids and found nothing. :)

Ok ok.. we will give the kids club a try. ;) I always thought they looked like they were having fun..

We are "loyal to Royal", so we will more than likely do RCCL or NCL (been wanting to try them). As far as meals, we will probably do the low-key route (buffets, pizza bars, etc.). Cruising (for me & hubby) has always been more about scenery, checking out the ship, pool time, and exploring in the ports of call, and less about the dining, shows, etc. (is that weird??). I imagine that we would take him to one dinner in the formal dining room (as that's an experience in itself), but mainly stick to alternative dining.

Thanks for the tip about the family board! I swear I looked and looked for cruising with kids and found nothing. :)

One other thing we did with our DD was to start teaching her various dos and don'ts about being on a cruise well ahead of time and letting her "participate" in some of the decisions. Also laid out the rules too (no climbing outside on the balcony, running down the halls, etc) She is very much looking forward to her next cruise next month. Already telling us what she wants from room service in the morning...

We took our 3 kids when they were younger at ages 5, 11, and 13 for their first cruise (they are now in their 20's and teens). Well, we now have a 3 year old and decided to take her this year. WOW, what an experience. She did wonderful and loved every minute of it.

She completely amazed us. She did everything we did. She zip lined in Roatan in the rain forest (and insisted on going by herself instead of tandem). She snorkeled right beside us at West Bay in Roatan and also Cozumel. She swam with the dolphins in Cozumel. She went cave tubing in Belize. We had an amazing vacation and can't wait to take her on her next. :D

I forgot to add, we have a family cruising category on this board too with tons of advice and knowledge for cruising with kids. If you decide to bring your little one (or just looking for knowledge of cruising with kids), it's a great place to start. :)

I imagine that we would take him to one dinner in the formal dining room (as that's an experience in itself), but mainly stick to alternative dining.

I would suggest getting anytime dining (or whatever it is called on the cruise line) so that when you go to the formal dining room you are on your family's schedule. Also, you can choose the table size and even dine with just your family if you want.

Archived