traveling with CPAP machine

GAJE

DH recently began using the CPAP machine and we will take our next cruise soon. How do you users carry it? DH already carries on his carryon and a camera/computer bag, neither of which will also accommodate his machine. Has anyone packed it in checked luggage? That seems risky! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you, Betty

I would never check my CPAP! Since I have to take it out of it's case when going through airport security, I started using a tote carry-on instead; much easier to repack it at that stressful spot.

Since this is medical equipment, it comes under the ADA and is exempt from the limit of carry-ons on a plane---at least in the US. I've never had a problem with overseas airlines, but I was always traveling with a US start/end.

Are you able to help carry an extra tote on the plane?

Unfortunately there was an instance a few years ago where a guest checked a CPAP machine and it was never delivered to the stateroom. The guest passed away on the cruise, and the matter is now being litigated. Since then, a sign is posted at luggage check-in and agents inquire as to the contents of bags that look as if they may contain medical equipment. Computers, cameras, oxygen and medicines should be kept with you at all times. Also, make sure that you don't pack you passport in checked luggage, as it is not always possible to retrieve the bag before sailing.

David

DH recently began using the CPAP machine and we will take our next cruise soon. How do you users carry it? DH already carries on his carryon and a camera/computer bag, neither of which will also accommodate his machine. Has anyone packed it in checked luggage? That seems risky! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you, Betty

Hi Betty,

It's tough when he already has a carryon and his camera/computer bag. Is there a slightly bigger bag that he could fit his CPAP & the carryon in that has wheels? That is what I did for my last trip-ended up putting my CPAP in a carryon that I could pull behind me so everything was in one bag.

You will have to keep the CPAP with you-mine has often been swabbed. I also keep a letter from the doctor with it as I was once told I needed to show that if asked.

I would never risk putting it into checked luggage-if you use a CPAP you can NOT risk sleeping without it-just to risky if your luggage gets lost etc.

Hope he/you figure out something that will be convenient. Have a great cruise!

I don't carry the humidifier portion of my CPAP so it fits easily into my wheeled, carry-on bag. I do take it out for security (just the machine not the hose or mask) and it has been swabbed on occasion. I find the humidity at sea is sufficient and I don't need the entire machine.

On board, I ask for an extension cord which I plug in each evening and unplug each morning. I store my CPAP equipment in a drawer. I don't want other people handling the mask.

Your comments have been very helpful. I did not know the machine would have to be taken out of our bag when going through security. I also did not know that the humidifier could be separated from the machine. Dumb, huh? I am trying to figure out if I could put part in my carryon and DH would have the other half in his. That would seem like a great solution. I am not sure how we would handle another tote, but I will check into that.

Also, I had read about the distilled water being ordered on the ship. He will be doing that!

Thank you!!!!!

Betty

I was told by my physician that the separate "laptop-like" case for my CPAP would not be counted as one of my two carry-ons, since it's medically necessary. The last couple of times I've taken it, I took off the water reservoir and just took the main piece in it's little padded bag, which I put in the bottom of the backpack I carried on. You need to have it readily available, because you'll have to put it in the bin at security [sometimes they take it away and test it], so don't "bury" it. I'd never put it in checked luggage - too easy to get stolen or broken. You may also want to take an extension cord, because the outlet in the cabin may or may not be located convenient to the nightstand.

After being a victim of losing 3 checked bags enroute to Hawaii for 3 weeks, turns out they were stolen, I would NEVER, EVER consider checking any part of my DH's CPAP machine. He had only been using the machine for less than 3 weeks when we left for a 17-day cruise aboard the Volendam.

I managed a purse, a carry-on, and his CPAP machine in the bag it came in, and it was worth it. I am not young so it was not easy for me, but knowing how much better he is doing with the CPAP machine, it would never cross my mind to jeopardize the safety of the machine.

We ordered the distilled water, and our steward gladly provided us with an extension cord, and he was healthy and felt good the entire cruise.

No matter where we travel, the CPAP machine is in its original bag. TSA just looks at the bag and waves us through with it.

Don't forget you can pre order distilled water from HAL and for $4 a large bottle will be waiting in your cabin.

At that rate it's highway robbery! :eek: Even my high-price neighborhood grocery store only charges $1.50/gallon.

The ship water is filtered so thoroughly that using tap water for the length of a cruise does not hurt the machine. Double check with your medical equipment provider, and see what they say about using tap water.

At that rate it's highway robbery! :eek: Even my high-price neighborhood grocery store only charges $1.50/gallon.

The ship water is filtered so thoroughly that using tap water for the length of a cruise does not hurt the machine. Double check with your medical equipment provider, and see what they say about using tap water.

The worst thing tap water will do is leave a little residue in the reservoir, which you can easily clean out with soap and water and rinse out well

Try getting a carry on like this: http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=11525234&search=luggage&Mo=15&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=luggage&Ntt=luggage&No=5&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

I use one similar for my camera equipment, and I bet your husband's camera bag AND the CPAP machine would fit in there. It is so easy to roll, NOT CARRY, and it fits in the airplane bins. I have found it is so much easier than carrying stuff. Just a thought.

DH's machine came with a very nice storage bag that even has room for the extension cord and his meds. We would NEVER put it with checked luggage. I remember quite a few years ago -- the first time we took it -- the airport security didn't have any idea what it was --- and went over it with a fine tooth comb. Funny ! Be sure you can access the unit easily --- just faster through security check.

Try getting a carry on like this: http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=11525234&search=luggage&Mo=15&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=luggage&Ntt=luggage&No=5&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

I use one similar for my camera equipment, and I bet your husband's camera bag AND the CPAP machine would fit in there. It is so easy to roll, NOT CARRY, and it fits in the airplane bins. I have found it is so much easier than carrying stuff. Just a thought.

Nice suggestion -- however, he will still have to open the suitcase up and take the unit out.

We always carry the CPAP on. We have never had the machine NOT be tested by TSA. We always put it in a 2-gallon ziplock bag inside its carry bag. When we get to security, we pull out the CPAP first and put it in its own bin, and send it through first. Then we do our other stuff. A TSA agent will nearly always come and 'ask' us if they can test it. Pretty sure that's just a formality.

We always carry an extension cord and a plug adapter in the bag. Hotels often have iffy placement on plugs for CPAPs (we travel a lot). Good luck!

Robin

Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) Machine

Travelers with Disabilities and Medical Conditions

cpap.jpg

Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) Machines

CPAPs are allowed through security checkpoints once they have undergone screening.

Passengers will be required to take their CPAP machine out of its carrying case and place the device in a bin for x-ray screening. Facemasks and tubing can remain in the carrying case.

In addition to x-ray inspection of your CPAP machine, a visual and physical inspection, and Explosive Trace Detection (ETD) sampling will be required.

To facilitate CPAP machine hygiene and cleanliness:

Once out of the carrying case, you can place your CPAP machine in a clear plastic bag before placing the device in the bin. You will need to provide/bring your own plastic bag.

Upon request, TSOs will change their gloves prior to performing the visual and physical inspection, and ETD sampling of your CPAP machine. The CPAP will need to be removed from the plastic bag by the TSO to conduct the ETD sampling.

Upon request, TSOs will clean the table where the ETD sampling will be conducted.

Upon request, TSOs will change the ETD sampling media before conducting the ETD sampling.

Nice suggestion -- however, he will still have to open the suitcase up and take the unit out.

True, as I do with my camera stuff. It is easy to open and repack (take the camera bag out, take the CPAP bag out, and then put them back when done). The reason I find it easier is because you are not CARRYING it around to and from the plane and thru the airport. It is a hassle to take it out, but using that type carry on has saved my shoulders and back:) As I get older, my camera stuff just seems to get heavier!!

DH's CPAP machine is always taken apart and checked at security in the airport - once it was put through the x-ray machine 3 times.

do watch how they handle it - twice the staff at security placed it on the edge of a table and it nearly fell off - they don't realize how expensive those machines are.

Also one man had his machine stolen right off the table on the other side of the x-ray machines - sometimes they make it difficult to watch all your things while doing the wanding etc.

We used to order the distilled water but after reading here how many people just use the ship water we started to do that too - no problems at all.

On the plane we are allowed the CPAP as a medical device but the stewardess always tells us to put it at our feet once on the plane. Since we only take one small carry on that seems unreasonable - especially when we see so many people with huge carry-on cases - or one person with 2 carry-ons and a backpack.

Really good idea to put the machine in a large ziplock bag inside the regular bag.

On the plane we are allowed the CPAP as a medical device but the stewardess always tells us to put it at our feet once on the plane. Since we only take one small carry on that seems unreasonable - especially when we see so many people with huge carry-on cases - or one person with 2 carry-ons and a backpack.

Is the CPAP more protected at your feet? You know it is down there, so you're probably not going to step on it. In the overhead bin, it might get squashed from the heavier bags shifting during the flight... or the stewardess shifting with extreme prejudice the other bags to close the bin!

Is the CPAP more protected at your feet? You know it is down there, so you're probably not going to step on it. In the overhead bin, it might get squashed from the heavier bags shifting during the flight... or the stewardess shifting with extreme prejudice the other bags to close the bin!

IF you put it in the carry on suitcase (one with wheels, so you do not carry it), you can put it in the overhead bin and it will be protected. Again, just a suggestion:)

I must be the only person in the world who puts his CPAP in checked baggage. Been doing it about half the time for six years on a total of a dozen or so cruise and non-cruise trips and never had a problem. Knock wood.

My boyfriend uses a CPAP, he also removes the humidifier part and just brings the other side. When we sailed HAL I let them know ahead of time and they had extention cords in the room for him. When I sailed Celebrity this year they had extention cord AND water at no charge. I thought that was interested. They gave him a 1 gallon jug (which he didn't need since he didn't bring that portion but they didn't know that at the time). I thought it was a nice touch that they included it (same type room we had on hal too, typical verandah)

The CPAP doesn't need to be shoved into your carryon because as others have said, it's a medical device. He's not had any issue carrying it on for any of our trips so far (all international flights).

I have a question for the CPAPers to piggyback if i may. I noticed his machine will start to make an uneven sound during the night, so much that it would keep me awake. When he'd start off in bed it would be fine and pretty silent but it got unbearable to me overnight at times. Does anyone here have experience with that happening with yours/your partners? If so, were you able to fix it and how? It seems related to the fit of the mask but my bf seems to have issues with every mask he's tried. His mask covers his mouth and nose. I had a few very sleepless nights from the noise because I have issues with falling asleep/staying asleep at time.