which cruise/what dates/ any suggestions

springdal

We are planning to take a Hawaiian cruise next year, probably fall. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the length or dates best to take? We have heard there are weather concerns to keep in mind. If anyone has taken a cruise here, we would be delighted to hear any info you have to offer. Thanks :)

Please read down the board for so many comments that will help you. I see you posted on the West Coast Departures as well, and have some misinformation.

Weather is really only an isssue if you sail from the West Coast. The West Coast to Hawaii season is Oct-April. The first two days and the last two days can be a little rough, and will be cooler. Otherwise warm Hawaii weather awaits you.

If you sail only within the islands, you are limited to NCL, and weather isn't really an issue.

You have two major options.

One is to sail between the various islands with NCL. This will provide you with the chance to see the most islands and to do a pre or post cruise there. But it limits you to one cruise line to choose from.

Other option is do to a 12 day R/T sailing usually out of Los Angeles or San Diego. Sometimes there are also other sailings such as one from Vancouver to Hawaii on a repositioning cruise. This gives you more choices in terms of cruise line but a little less time in Hawaii. I've done this several times. Weather first day to day and half out and on the return can be on the windy side and seas somewhat choppy.

Both are great options to consider.

Keith

NCL does go to all of the major islands in Hawaii.

Many of the cruises originating from the West Coast may not go to all the major islands - check the itinerary and compare the islands covered and the time for each island.

Remember also that cruising from the West Coast would involve more sea days than days in Hawaii. But of course cruising from the West Coast does mean no jet lag!

When one talks about jet lag, remember that flying from the West Coast to Hawaii is about 500 miles less than flying from the West Coast to the East Coast!

We sailed to hawaii on a 15 nighter on the Celebrity Century RT from San Diego in October 2011. The weather was great and the seas were calm to fairly calm, while sailing to hawaii and also returning to San Diego. More important--the weather in Hawaii was dry--only a couple of 15 minute showers.

My family's last two cruises were the two week RTs on Princess. The last one on the Golden Princess is so far one of my favorite (if not the favorite) cruises I've been on. Even though we had rainy weather (in December) the first few days. The sea days were full of so many activities including many Hawaiian ones. To me, Hawaii was a bonus. My first two times in Hawaii were land trips, so if you want to concentrate on Hawaii, just fly there and stay in a hotel, rent a car, and tour on your own. The cruise will give you a nice sampling of four different islands (the main ones) plus the cruising experience. And for those of us who live on the West Coast, no flying necessary.

You have 4 choices with Hawaii...

Land trip

NCL 7 day Cruise around the islands... Bonus is you can spend time before or after seeing more of Hawaii and you get Kona, evening Lava flow sail (when it's flowing) an afternoon sail by the Napili Coast, overnights in both Maui and Kauai

14/15 day westcoast return...way more sea days than time in Hawaii. You have to decide..what's the main attraction, taking a cruise and being at sea with a side dish of Hawaii, or do you really want to see Hawaii? If the latter, this is not for you.

4th option is one of the one ways.. RCL and Carnival have cruises either to or from Vancouver to Honolulu. This way you get all the islands, but also get some time on land to enjoy the Islands.

Archived