Menace of the Seas

Yo Eleven

NOTE: NOT A ONE POST WONDER HERE-telling it like it is

Wow!!!!! Recently got of the Menace of the Seas, errrr Monarch.

Man that ship needs to be retired. I think there is seriously something wrong with that ship. That ship cannot handle waves at all. Rocking all over the place. I do not have any facts to support this, but someone told me on the cruise before it had some listing issues that had to be corrected before our sailing. It did feel at times the ship was not perfectly stable at times. Either the ship has NO stabiizers or they simply don't work right.

Yes, there was a weather front coming in but the ship handles horribly. I have been on other ships, RCI included in seas much worse and didn't have the experience we had. We were unable to stop at Coco Cay because of the seas, but that is not RCI fault nor does it make me angry and resulting in my negative post about the ship. I am just telling it like it is from a real CC poster.

On a HIGH note, the food was excellent, the staff was excellent. The activities were plentiful. I would still highly recommend RCI. I think it is a great cruise line. But, they need to make the Monarch into a coral reef already.

Let the bashing begin. Hopefully, not as I am just telling it like it is.

I really hope some people get on here and have some good things to say about the Monarch!! because we have 16 cabins of people sailing on her for spring break in March!! and are soooo looking forward to it!! We have sailed on 3 other RCI ships several times before but this will be our first on this ship. This one worked out perfect for our kids spring break so we are giving it a try. We are not real picky and our kids just love any cruise!!! Sorry you feel this way about the Monarch!

I really hope some people get on here and have some good things to say about the Monarch!! because we have 16 cabins of people sailing on her for spring break in March!! and are soooo looking forward to it!! We have sailed on 3 other RCI ships several times before but this will be our first on this ship. This one worked out perfect for our kids spring break so we are giving it a try. We are not real picky and our kids just love any cruise!!! Sorry you feel this way about the Monarch!

I was told the Manarch is a ship you choose for the ports, not so much the ship. :) But that being said, I think the oldest RCI ship is still going to be a great vacation!

The good:

The kids will love the programs there. The food was excellent as was the staff. However, if you sailed on 3 other RCI ships several times don't expect too much out of the Monarch. It is old. Well kept though, but as i said before it needs to be retired and made into a reef. Would I sail on the Monarch again. Not if I can help it. Just telling you like it is. On a bright note you are going in the spring so the seas should be calmer. You got that going for ya. If you check the weather before you sail and it calls for rough seas, HOLD ON TIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

I was told the Manarch is a ship you choose for the ports, not so much the ship. :) But that being said, I think the oldest RCI ship is still going to be a great vacation!

It was a nice vacation though but i would not call it great.

Someone told me they have sailed Monarch FIVE times during the fall season over the years and it stopped at coco cay ONCE.....If this is accurate they should change their ports of call during the fall season.

I was told the Manarch is a ship you choose for the ports, not so much the ship. :)

Nassau? That to me is one of the worst ports RCI goes to. Since Coco Cay is hit or miss alot of times, I cant see Nassau being the main reason people choose the Monarch.

To me, the reason is because its a short cruise that fits into peoples leave time that cant necessarily take a whole week off. Couple that with the fact that the ship is still in good shape to be so old and the crew is absolutely wonderful, the food and service are good and its very AFFORDABLE to cruise on her.

I loved the Monarch. She is what hooked me on Royal Caribbean and I hope one day I can sail her again before they sink her and "make her into a reef" :rolleyes::cool: which will not happen anyway.........I see her going the same way her older sister Sovereign did myself.

I don't think Monarch or Majesty has stabilizers. Currently Splendour is receiving a duck tail to make her more stable. I haven't heard of any plans to add one to Monarch or Majesty. The Old Florida Channel is notorious for choppiness. We've experienced difficulty walking a straight line in April and August, so I don't think the time of year matters when you're talking about the Old Florida Channel.

I don't think Monarch or Majesty has stabilizers. Currently Splendour is receiving a duck tail to make her more stable. I haven't heard of any plans to add one to Monarch or Majesty. The Old Florida Channel is notorious for choppiness. We've experienced difficulty walking a straight line in April and August, so I don't think the time of year matters when you're talking about the Old Florida Channel.

Monarch has stabilizers. According to my DH (a retired Naval engineer, so I'd say he has creds;)), the ship has to be moving at a minimum speed in order for them to do any good. When Monarch was here on the Left Coast, they basically parked her in a sunny spot and let her bob up and down to conserve fuel. If the seas had any heft to them, the ship would rock & roll. She doesn't travel any great distances on the PC run, so perhaps that was part of OP's problem.

We've missed Coco Cay in April and June - there's just no way to know at any time of year whether you're going to make it.

And if the OP is comparing Monarch to the newer, larger classes of ships, of course she's going to rock & roll more than they do.

We actually enjoyed the movement - it made dancing more of a challenge, since you never really knew where the floor was going to be when you took a step.:D And you never forgot that you were on the "high" seas.

I loved the Monarch. She is what hooked me on Royal Caribbean and I hope one day I can sail her again before they sink her and "make her into a reef" :rolleyes::cool: which will not happen anyway.........I see her going the same way her older sister Sovereign did myself.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect yours. My guess is if you were on her last sailing you would understand why I would do cartwheels watching it being cut into two and turned into a beautiful coral reef.

no way to know at any time of year whether you're going to make it.

And if the OP is comparing Monarch to the newer, larger classes of ships, of course she's going to rock & roll more than they do.

Of course there is some comparison, but I have sailed smaller ships in the past and there is something about this ship that isn't right. Just an opinion. You don't have to agree with it.

Well....we have been on Enchantment once, Navigator three times and Majesty several....and believe it or not...Majesty is our favorite! We really enjoy cococay and have always had a great time in Nassau. I guess it is just the company that we go there with and things we find to do! We have a really fun group of people going for spring break and many of them will be cruising for the first time so I am hoping that they are not dissapointed in the ship!! After reading your headline "Menace of the Seas" I was worried!! :eek:

Of course there is some comparison, but I have sailed smaller ships in the past and there is something about this ship that isn't right. Just an opinion. You don't have to agree with it.

Well, I did say if. Now I know that you're not just comparing to the larger ships.;) I read the other thread and it sounds like you had rough weather, so my theory doesn't hold water (haha). I'll see how she handles in December.

Well....we have been on Enchantment once, Navigator three times and Majesty several....and believe it or not...Majesty is our favorite! We really enjoy cococay and have always had a great time in Nassau. I guess it is just the company that we go there with and things we find to do! We have a really fun group of people going for spring break and many of them will be cruising for the first time so I am hoping that they are not dissapointed in the ship!! After reading your headline "Menace of the Seas" I was worried!! :eek:

Well I was on the Majesty earlier this year, which is the exact sister of the Menace. And that ship was solid as a rock. And there were waves as well. My point again is that I think something is up with the Monarch. My thinking can be incorrect, but it sure feels like it. And certainly if it is fact she was having listing issues before our cruise then there ya go!!!!! Time to send her to the sharks.

Well, I did say if. Now I know that you're not just comparing to the larger ships.;) I read the other thread and it sounds like you had rough weather, so my theory doesn't hold water (haha). I'll see how she handles in December.

If I were you bring Sea Bands and/or Bonine when you go in December. You will be glad you did.

Now, again, it wasn't all that bad. I mean the quality of the cruise was there. Food was delicious. Staff was awesome. CLEAN CLEAN AND CLEAN. I simply found the performance of the ship to be off. Again, my opinion.

I have sailed on Monarch, Majesty and Sovereign over the years (a few times each). I used to only be able to get away for 3 or 4 days at a time so I would search out all the short cruises!

To me there was always much more movement in the winter time. Always seemed to calm down once we hit the Bahamas but I made sure I took sea sickness meds before we left Florida!

I have sailed spring break with family and I didn't notice the motion as much as when I sailed December and January!! I have been on a few smaller ships that no longer sail (it was a RCCL and NCL) and also noticed more motion in the winter months. I also remember having private island's cancelled in Dec/Jan due to weather. Heck one year the Sovereign got stuck in Key West for HOURS because it was too windy to pull away!!!!

I still think these are great ships for a quick get away. Just make sure you take some dramamine or something BEFORE you leave port if you are worried about the motion....too late to get it to work once you start to get sick!

The Old Florida Channel?

That's a new one on me

chartlet.jpg

(portion of chart INT400, 3rd edition)

The MONARCH on leaving PC crosses the Gulf Stream and heads towards the Straits of Florida and enters the NW Providence Channel, running e/w thru the northern Bahamas.

There is the Old Bahama Channel (aka the OBC) at the southern extreme of the Bahamas and the north coast of Cuba....

Sorry I worked this area for many years on ship and I'm not familar with the OFC . . .

(for those wondering, Little Stirrup Cay is one of the Berry Islands, SW of Gorda Cay {aka DCL's Castaway Cay})

I have sailed on Monarch, Majesty and Sovereign over the years (a few times each). I used to only be able to get away for 3 or 4 days at a time so I would search out all the short cruises!

To me there was always much more movement in the winter time. Always seemed to calm down once we hit the Bahamas but I made sure I took sea sickness meds before we left Florida!

I have sailed spring break with family and I didn't notice the motion as much as when I sailed December and January!! I have been on a few smaller ships that no longer sail (it was a RCCL and NCL) and also noticed more motion in the winter months. I also remember having private island's cancelled in Dec/Jan due to weather. Heck one year the Sovereign got stuck in Key West for HOURS because it was too windy to pull away!!!!

I still think these are great ships for a quick get away. Just make sure you take some dramamine or something BEFORE you leave port if you are worried about the motion....too late to get it to work once you start to get sick!

Good advice here.

I can't say I have been on Monarch. I have been on Sovereign. And I was on Majesty 2 weeks ago. Both were wonderful cruises. For Majesty, the seas were a bit rough (it was only a week after the Freedom incident). We barely felt any motion at all. For our day at Coco Cay, the tenders were stopped for a bit while they repositioned the ship. They even stopped boarding the tenders to go to the island early. We stayed on board and again, no trouble. For our overnight between Coco Cay and Key West, we were in 8-12 seas. We were walking around the top deck of the ship in very windy conditions there. The deck party was going full force with dancing people walking around with the cocktails. It was just a normal cruise. The only time we were not able to go to Coco Cay was a long time ago on the Nordic Empress. She was even smaller than Monarch, and that was in April. I would sail Monarch or Majesty again in a minute.

I can't say I have been on Monarch. I have been on Sovereign. And I was on Majesty 2 weeks ago. Both were wonderful cruises. For Majesty, the seas were a bit rough (it was only a week after the Freedom incident). We barely felt any motion at all. For our day at Coco Cay, the tenders were stopped for a bit while they repositioned the ship. They even stopped boarding the tenders to go to the island early. We stayed on board and again, no trouble. For our overnight between Coco Cay and Key West, we were in 8-12 seas. We were walking around the top deck of the ship in very windy conditions there. The deck party was going full force with dancing people walking around with the cocktails. It was just a normal cruise. The only time we were not able to go to Coco Cay was a long time ago on the Nordic Empress. She was even smaller than Monarch, and that was in April. I would sail Monarch or Majesty again in a minute.

I was on Majesty earlier in the year. Felt like a completely different ship to me than Monarch and they are supposed to be identical. Things that make you go hmmmmm.

Oh man, I hope the cruise gods grant us smooth sailing when we go on Majesty in 3 weeks. My husband got seasick on the LIBERTY -- can't imagine how he'd fare on a smaller, rockier ship. I hope what you're saying about Majesty feeling different from Monarch is true. I've sailed on the Disney Wonder twice, which is sorta the same size range and have had no problem.

Oh man, I hope the cruise gods grant us smooth sailing when we go on Majesty in 3 weeks. My husband got seasick on the LIBERTY -- can't imagine how he'd fare on a smaller, rockier ship. I hope what you're saying about Majesty feeling different from Monarch is true. I've sailed on the Disney Wonder twice, which is sorta the same size range and have had no problem.

He should be fine on the majesty. Bring sea bands and/or bonine just for protection. You will love that ship. Have fun.

If I were you bring Sea Bands and/or Bonine when you go in December. You will be glad you did.

I never leave home without them! I learned a long time ago that crossbeam swells and I don't get along, so now I just pop a pill before we go and it's all good.

Also noticed that you were up high and forward, which always makes it worse. And yes, those OS are fab. like everything about Monarch, they're smaller than their counterparts on the newer ships, but still a great way to sail.

Archived