Menace of the Seas

Yo Eleven

Thanks to each and every one of you who have had positive things to say about the Monarch.....it is making me feel much better about my upcoming cruise in March! So far we have a total of 21 adults and 15 kids....or about that number! We plan on having a great time and don't want it spoiled by anything! Thanks again!!

Thanks to each and every one of you who have had positive things to say about the Monarch.....it is making me feel much better about my upcoming cruise in March! So far we have a total of 21 adults and 15 kids....or about that number! We plan on having a great time and don't want it spoiled by anything! Thanks again!!

It really doesnt matter what ship you are on(of course,some bells and whistles make it nice),but I feel like you can have a fabulous time on any ship!

Thanks Capt BJ, always respect your professional input. Living just a few miles South of PC we have seen very turbulent weather in the past few weeks. Neither the captains of the Monarch, Freedom or Carnival Ecstasy were responsible for what happened to their ships. The Ecstasy was late in getting into PC (Its new home port) last night due to rough weather coming up the East coast of Florida! The OP seems to have a personal vendetta against the Monarch that I truly do not understand.

I saw a carnival ship coming to port last night and I thought maybe there had been an emergency. Now it makes sense.

We have had some really rough weather / winds lately and I have wondered just how bad it was on board. We cruise on Freedom soon and watched the three ships leave port Sunday from Rusty's and wondered just how bad the winds are makin ghese cruises as they leave pot.

We love getting away on a 3 day sailing on Monarch / Sovereign. We have not missed coco cay on our sailings. The ship is certainly not like cruising on Allure / Oasis, but the staff / food/ service has always been excellent.

The ship is obviously old and does not have all the amenities of the newer ships but we have loved the staff, food, and serrvice we have recieved. I think you will have a great time as log as you don't expect an Oasis / Allure class of amenities.

I laugh because 99 percent of the negative write ups are from one post wonders. This proves if you have a negative opinion of something here you will get nothing but grief from other posters, eg being called a liar.

I didn't like how that ship handled the seas. That's all. So what if I think it should be loaded up with BANG and sent to the sharks for the purposes of making it a beautiful reef. Do people get that upset that someone doesn't like something and wishes to report it here?

Not I. I find the actual ship to be rather boring. But for us, living 15 miles from Port Canaveral, a 3 day cruise over the weekend is fabulous. We have not experienced the seas you did.

The weather here has been rather gusty lately. End of summer with the cold fronts have created lots of days with strong winds. I read the winds to pilots every day in my job and it has been very gusty for awhile now.

No one is calling the op a liar, you feel the ship did not seem right to you. That is your assessment, but to say the ship should be junked due you opinion is a bit dramatic. My guess this ship will be sold soon and leave the fleet.

Isn't "Menace of the Seas" a little bit dramatic? It makes it sound like it's either dangerous to be on that ship or it's a ship that is going around being dangerous to others.

I have cruised a few times on older ships and still had a wonderful cruise.

Isn't "Menace of the Seas" a little bit dramatic? It makes it sound like it's either dangerous to be on that ship or it's a ship that is going around being dangerous to others.

I have cruised a few times on older ships and still had a wonderful cruise.

Nope not at all. At the very least this ship fits definition number TWO perfectly. Thank you for writing.

men·ace(mebreve.gifnprime.gifibreve.gifs)

n. 1. a. A possible danger; a threat b. The act of threatening.

2. A troublesome or annoying person: a toddler who was a menace in a shop full of crystal.

v. men·aced, men·ac·ing, men·ac·es

Nope not at all. At the very least this ship fits definition number TWO perfectly. Thank you for writing.

men·ace(mebreve.gifnprime.gifibreve.gifs)

n. 1. a. A possible danger; a threat b. The act of threatening.

2. A troublesome or annoying person: a toddler who was a menace in a shop full of crystal.

v. men·aced, men·ac·ing, men·ac·es

......what ever happened to "poetic licence"? Your heading gets a responce much like the Daily News in NYC......

Oh, is that all?:p
Just trying to catch up with you:D

To the OP -- I'm sorry that you had a rough sailing on Monarch. Please take the time to write Adam Goldstein and demand that he send her back to the West Coast, immediately! ;)

We really miss her! :(

Remember we DID have her first.....;) We just "lent" her to you for awhile.

I went on Monarch for a 4 day cruise in September. Enjoyed it very much. The upkeep of the ship is generally very good for the age of the ship. There were the odd whiff of sewage smells in places notable in The Windjammer next to the galley. The shower cubicle is dated in the statement but other than that the ship is in great form and so are all the staff.

I had calm seas on all 4 days so never noticed any listing problems on the ship. It is true that the length and intinerary of the cruise made me pick Monarch but that is generally true on all my sailings. All in all though had a great cruise on a good ship. I have no hesitation going back on her again.

We sailed the Monarch during her maiden voyage year. At that time, she was the largest, most beautiful, etc. We loved our sailing on the Monarch. Back in those days (80's), it was much rougher rides too if the seas weren't smooth.

However, I would not book another cruise on the Monarch. She's old, and in comparison to other ships, there would be major differences that are not in her favor. That's just my opinion.

Here's a funny tidbit. We took a cruise about 6 months after the Monarch hit the reef in St. Martin. We're scuba divers, and had booked a scuba diving tour on our own. Guess where we dove - the reef area that the Monarch hit. We collected pieces of the hull, etc. The reef damage was unbelievable. Horrible event.

Patti

I laugh because 99 percent of the negative write ups are from one post wonders. This proves if you have a negative opinion of something here you will get nothing but grief from other posters, eg being called a liar.

I didn't like how that ship handled the seas. That's all. So what if I think it should be loaded up with BANG and sent to the sharks for the purposes of making it a beautiful reef. Do people get that upset that someone doesn't like something and wishes to report it here?

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but so are all others.

I´m not sure why you keep bringing up one post wonders compared to you.

It just shows that people are not arguing with posters because they have just one post, but because they write some ridiculous post.

I have no doubt you felt like the Monarch didn´t hold up well in the seas, while another poster didn´t think the same.

To me it´s just not rational to say to scrap her. Nobody has to like a ship and I´m not sure if I would want to sail on her myself, but it wouldn´t ever come to my mind to day she needs to get out of service. My reaction would be, hey it wasn´t my ship, in the future I won´t sail on it again.

Sorry but you sound way too dramatic to me.

I´m not sure why you keep bringing up one post wonders compared to you.

Oh please. I brought it up maybe TWICE from what i recall. Once in the original post and again in response to someone else like 18 hours ago. But thanks for bringing it up a THIRD time. Do I hear a fourth? :p

Thank you for visiting though. :D

We sailed the Monarch during her maiden voyage year. At that time, she was the largest, most beautiful, etc. We loved our sailing on the Monarch. Back in those days (80's), it was much rougher rides too if the seas weren't smooth.

However, I would not book another cruise on the Monarch. She's old, and in comparison to other ships, there would be major differences that are not in her favor. That's just my opinion.

Here's a funny tidbit. We took a cruise about 6 months after the Monarch hit the reef in St. Martin. We're scuba divers, and had booked a scuba diving tour on our own. Guess where we dove - the reef area that the Monarch hit. We collected pieces of the hull, etc. The reef damage was unbelievable. Horrible event.

Patti

It wasn't so much it being the size where I was concerned. I loved the Majesty. I was simply shocked how differently the Monarch felt, since it is the same sister ship. The difference was night and day. But, hearing how it did a reef rearrangement explains it all to me. Yeah yeah, the seas were rough, but even so it felt different to me no matter where she was.

That is one interesting tidbit you got there. Soon enough you can show up on antiques roadshow and maybe score some big bucks. :p

That is remarkable. Glad you love this ship. It is indeed a nice ship.

To me,it is a fun weekend getaway and cheaper than getting a hotel on the beach.

On the MN,it is the crew/staff that make the ship!

To me,it is a fun weekend getaway and cheaper than getting a hotel on the beach.

On the MN,it is the crew/staff that make the ship!

If I lived in FL, I could see myself easily doing that Monarch 3 or 4 day cruise multiple times a year........I loved that ship and its crew. "Bells and whistles" matter not to me.......I cant use none of that stuff anyway :)

For me...I would rather be on a cruise that working so I never have much negative to say about them. But, the Monarch is definately not a good representation of RCL. I went with a friend last year the week after Thanksgiving. It should have been called the Very Senior citizen cruise. I didn't find there were a lot of activities and the food was "just OK". It was very clean but used well. Would I go again? Sure but it wouldn't be my first choice.

For the person with the 16 cabins and lots of kids...I hope they change the menu. If my teens would have been with us they would have starved. There were not "kid friendly" foods to be seen.

Again, it was a cruise and there was fun to be had but just not as much as on other ships.

Archived