Not a good start for Magic

welldone60

Well... kinda oversold... John was in a passenger cabin they forgot about assigning him...

:rolleyes:

:D

Somebody on John's FB post explained it...they block off X number of cabins for entertainment staff, VIP's, etc., and then start selling the ship. It seems that what happened was they needed more staff/VIP cabins than originally thought.

When I first read John's post I thought it meant they had oversold the ship to passengers, but the explanation made sense. I can see how that could happen compared to not having enough cabins for guests.

Interesting! Contrary to what John Heald said on Facebook.

I have heard 2 different stories about being oversold. John posted they were, but, I had a friend that was on board with the VIPS Sunday night, he said they were not oversold. I know they sailed about 6:10 because there are a bunch of us that have sail away guesses and watch the webcams.

I would like to say something nice about Carnival Magic, but regretfully I can not. Food was sub par, we only ate in the MDR 2 nights. The rest we either pizza'd or snacked from Lido market place.We unfortunately had to spend 16 days on this disaster, crossing the Atlantic with our rear thruster not working. They need this to steer the ship. They cancelled Grand Turk on us, and we spent 2 days sitting in Freeport which wasnt on our itinerary while they tried to fix the ship. It still isnt fixed, they had to overnite in Galveston instead of sailing Sunday on time. Canival needs to pull the damned thing out of service and put it into a dry dock. Fix it right instead of half assed. Sadly I just blew a little over $4,000 on a vacation from hell, and it was hell on this ship.

They never intended to sail on Sunday. They planned the overnight for the Galveston festivities and to have local VIPs on board. And they sailed a little late on Monday due to it taking longer to restock the ship.

Why did you choose to only eat in the MDR 2 nights? Did you try Cucina de Capitano? I heard the pasta was great. What about any of the daytime options on the Lanai?

They never intended to sail on Sunday. They planned the overnight for the Galveston festivities and to have local VIPs on board. And they sailed a little late on Monday due to it taking longer to restock the ship.

Why did you choose to only eat in the MDR 2 nights? Did you try Cucina de Capitano? I heard the pasta was great. What about any of the daytime options on the Lanai?

Janey, when we were on the Dream we thought the lunch option on the Lanai was great. They had delicious little sliders, quesadillas, sausages, chips and salsa... I don't remember everything, because once I saw the sliders I was done!:D

I am so disappointed in this new disastr of a ship. We just got home from the TA crossing. Yes we sat 2 days in Freeport, and never got to visit Grand Turk. I wasnt allowed off the ship in Mallorca, shore busses could not handle wheel chairs. I was ordered back to the ship. This tub cant handle rough weather, most of our stage shows was cancelled because it wasnt safe for the dancers.,Beach pool was drained most days because the water was sloshing out of the pool and flooding the mid ship elevator shafts,and soaking the carpeting. I am in a Pronto power wheelchair. It was extremely difficult even leaving my state room for all the linen carts in the hallways. Such a hassle to move 5 or 6 carts to get to the elevators.After 2 days of fighting carts,I just stayed in my state room and watched TV. Old Discovery channel reruns. There was absolutely nothing magic about Carnival Magic at all. Worst cruise I have ever been on.

I also am in a wheelchair and will agree as to the difficulty of cruising. The carts ususally blocking the halls are a problem. If there are no carts, there are room service trays. The excursions that are hadicapped friendly are non-existant. I would love to see the beautiful beaches but there is never a shuttle that can accomadate a w/c. I have read that some of the beaches have the beach wheelchairs, but you have no way to get to the beaches, what do you do? We tried to hire taxis in St. Thomas and Nassau to no avail. St Thomas is the only port I really wanted to visit as I had been given a honeymoon there in '93, but was uable to go. I am sorry you did not have a good time. That was a lot of money for a bad vacation.

I was on a 9 day Med in October and the ship was great:) The staff was phenomenal and I never had a bad meal. The thruster was already an issue on our cruise, tho we didn't miss any ports.

The Italian restaurant for $10 a meal is a steal and the steakhouse was as good as ever. We onlly saw 1 show that was only ok.

Fortunately, I don't have mobility challenges, but I certainly didn't see any buses that could accomodate WC's. I understand that the weather was horrible, which probably added to your unhappiness. Sorry that it didn't work out for you.

Umm....thrusters are not used while the ship is underway at speed. The twin rudders are used for steering. So it not working had no affect on the transatlantic.

Also these are not ocean liners. The hulls are built for the shallow draft of the Caribbean. Depending on seastate, any ship on the ocean is going to rock.

Dave

[quote name='firefly333']I was on the preview and I thought Magic was beautiful. I know Triumph we had one night with a lot of motion. Oasis complained of 3 rough days, so its no wonder the Magic too had some rough weather in the crossing to Galveston.

I am so glad to get the beautiful Magic here, though the prices are a tad higher than I would like.. cant have your cake and eat it too.[/QUOTE]

the bad pr this ship is getting will make the prices plummet.

good thing the magic doesn't have the "new shi* smell", like the dream.

and had a totally different experience. I am not in a wheelchair so cannot answer to that part, but our hallway was usually clear. We had room service every day and had no problems. Food was great. We ate dinner at the Italian restaurant and it was so good. So much food you couldn't possibly finish. Didn't try the steakhouse. Food on the Lido varied. The deli was great as was the Tandoori grill. I ate there several times for lunch. There was usually a line at the Mongolian Wok and the burrito bar but definitely worth the wait! They did have to stretch the menu at the MDR so there were nights we didn't eat there because nothing appealed to us, but the nights we did, I thought the food was up to its normal standards. There were definitely issues about the ship rocking but the Captain can't help that there was a tropical storm in the area or that there were swells in the ocean. They made the best of a difficult situation. I can imagine that the rolling affected some people....it just made me want to nap! All in all it was a nice relaxing trip.

OVERSOLD? Never heard of that before. I realize not everybody shows up for various reasons but a cruise is not an airplane. The next one won't be a couple hours away. So if this is true do they just keep the money from those who don't show? Maybe they have a back up. I'm sure they do running maintaince and probably have a few cabins that in an emergency could be made ready. I would go ballastic if I got there late, booked a guarantee, and told "Uh, we oversold. Come back next week."

[quote name='H82seaUgo']the bad pr this ship is getting will make the prices plummet.

good thing the magic doesn't have the "new shi* smell", like the dream.[/quote]

What bad pr?? I have not seen any bad pr, a few gripes about bad weather on the TA and now wheelchairs in the ports... but the ship itself is spectacular.

Arent you on the I hate Carnival page?? I think you are letting your emotions rule rather than the ship itself.

If there is some bad pr, could you provide a link, as I have been on Triumph and then the Magic preview and missed this bad stuff. Or do you mean missing a port is bad pr?? I really dont see this bad news you speak of so far though. .. and I saw the ship. Have you?

[quote name='PAPERBKWRITER']OVERSOLD? Never heard of that before. I realize not everybody shows up for various reasons but a cruise is not an airplane. The next one won't be a couple hours away. So if this is true do they just keep the money from those who don't show? Maybe they have a back up. I'm sure they do running maintaince and probably have a few cabins that in an emergency could be made ready. I would go ballastic if I got there late, booked a guarantee, and told "Uh, we oversold. Come back next week."[/quote]

If you read a few posts above yours you will see it was not the passengers affected but some of the crew that stay in the passenger areas.

[quote name='Carlyzmom']Oh, there are always folks who love to gripe! I cannot imagine complaining and fussing about being on VACATION!!! :confused:[/quote]

Seems like the OP had some reasons to complain about their cruise. Not sure if Carnival could have done anything but getting stuck in your cabin so much is a downer.

[quote name='Cindy'][SIZE=3]Janey, when we were on the Dream we thought the lunch option on the Lanai was great. They had delicious little sliders, quesadillas, sausages, chips and salsa... I don't remember everything, because once I saw the sliders I was done!:D[/SIZE][/quote]

I personally did not care for the food on the Lanai. They added too many weird condinments to my liking. But I loved the food in the MDR - I thought the lunch/brunch menu lacked but would sail the Dream or Magic tomorrow if I could!!!

I think sometimes we expect our vacations that we save for and spend lots of $$ on to be perfect. And when they aren't, we are let down. I know at first I was disappoint in the Dream but after a week or so off the Dream, I was ready to book again. I had forgotten all the things I didn't like and only remember what I liked!

New ship - Does Not Equal - Perfect Ship

Archived