Falmouth Port-What's it like and to do?

Dahlfamily

Hi,

We are thinking of skipping an excursion in Jamaica because of cost. We have excursions arranged for Grand Cayman and for Cozumel. Is there shopping and eating on the pier?

Thanks!!!!

Shopping, yes. Eating, not so much. There's jewelry stores, crafts, coffee, t-shirts. But, I don't remember any places to eat and we were just there in Oct. There's still lots of construction so not sure what else is going in. We did an excursion to a beach and had lunch there so we weren't really looking for a meal. There were carts with beer and drink stands as well as coffee stands. The coffee is really good and I wish we'd brought more back than we did.

We were in Falmouth in October. We did get off the ship to take a look at the new port for less than an hour. We really were not impressed, so we were back on board and asssumed we could enjoy a few hours of quiet time at the pool. Wrong! A whole lot of passengers did not get off Oasis to go into Falmouth on our sailing.

Shopping, yes. Eating, not so much. There's jewelry stores, crafts, coffee, t-shirts. But, I don't remember any places to eat and we were just there in Oct. There's still lots of construction so not sure what else is going in. We did an excursion to a beach and had lunch there so we weren't really looking for a meal. There were carts with beer and drink stands as well as coffee stands. The coffee is really good and I wish we'd brought more back than we did.

In regards to the shops, did any of them have Jamaican Rum Cream? It's the only reason I have for getting of the Allure in Falmouth next month. We bought a small bottle our first time in Jamaica and I have been wanting more ever since!

I never see anyone post anything about the Pirate show boat cruise that leaves from the docks there.

There are 2 sailings for this show (one at noon and one at 2pm) that include lunch, though I think the lunch is just hot dogs..etc.

I have booked the 2 pm show, intending to walk the shops in the morning and then lunch

back on board the ship before we depart on the pirate boat.

Has anyone done this excursion yet??

In regards to the shops, did any of them have Jamaican Rum Cream? It's the only reason I have for getting of the Allure in Falmouth next month. We bought a small bottle our first time in Jamaica and I have been wanting more ever since!

sounds delish...how much does it cost?

We were there in July. Not much to do unless you book a tour and I wasn't that impressed by the tour offerings. Had we not booked a tour we would have probably stayed on the ship and enjoyed it while everyone else was off.

They were still working on the pier shopping area. That will most likely be done by now.

393.jpg

391.jpg

Yes they do. We bought 3 bottles back, original, banana and coconut. YUM.

Yes they do. We bought 3 bottles back, original, banana and coconut. YUM.

Oh good! Thank you so much. I've been searching the Jamaica board for ages, but felt silly asking!

sounds delish...how much does it cost?

It really is! I don't remember how much we paid (it was 4 years ago) but I remember thinking how incredibly cheap it was, especially compared to Irish Cream (which is my go to alcohol, what can I say, I'm a lightweight!)

I will say this much for Falmouth..You will NOT get hassled to purchase. The merchants will not even approach you..Shocking!!! They are very pleasant when you approach them about a purchase. We did some shopping, went back on the ship and had lunch. There's still lots of construction in progress and it just takes too long to go to Montego Bay or Ochos Rios.

We booked a Day Pass at Rose Hall Hilton all inclusive. It includes all you can eat and drink. And there is a water park on the premises. A couple of water slides and a lazy river with swim up bar. We loved it and the staff were incredible. The food was outstanding.

We also bought 4 bottles of the cream rum in Ocho Rios. This was at a shop by the pier. I remember that as we finished tasting one flavor they were offering another. I believe we had 9 or 10 tastes, but suffice it to say we didn't feel the need for a drink when we got back on the ship. :eek: And I agree, it really is good.

Here's a fantastic place to go: Rick's Cafe

http://www.rickscafejamaica.com/index.php

We had a fantastic time here, just grab a cab or a van and have them take you straight there. I think there were less than 20 people there when we went. Our Grandkids and the rest of our party loved the grotto and the diving and I loved the pool and the view...ahhhhhh.

I will say this much for Falmouth..You will NOT get hassled to purchase. The merchants will not even approach you..Shocking!!! They are very pleasant when you approach them about a purchase. We did some shopping, went back on the ship and had lunch. There's still lots of construction in progress and it just takes too long to go to Montego Bay or Ochos Rios.

That is true UNLESS you go outside the gates. Then they are VERY pushy. Still construction going on. we wer just there last week

Not much to do in this stop but I would suggest trying a Jamaican Pattie. Everyone in our party loved them and they only cost a few bucks. I was worried about eating local food but half the people in line were employees of RCCL (ship employees always know where the good cheap port food is). Its also fun and refreshing to get a fresh coconut (cash only under $5).

If I'm not mistaken, you're referring to Sangster's Jamaican Rum Cream. A little bit like Bailey's Irish Cream only way better.

You can always get it on the internet but other than that we've only seen it in Jamaica and St Maartin. I'm sure it's other places but haven't noticed it yet.

Any major touristy area in Jamaica we've always found it and it's definitely on our list to pick up a few bottles in Falmouth.

I don't remember how much it costs, but it doesn't break the bank at all.

Anyone been to Falmouth twice yet? I've been watching the threads looking for signs of progress.

I've been twice. I was there in April and June. Not the greatest amount of time, but I could still tell a difference in the construction progress.

Couldn't agree more! Both times I was there, there were no problems whatsoever. I booked excursions for both trips and had a great time! Falmouth was the highlight of my Allure cruise, wouldn't hesitate going back!

It really is! I don't remember how much we paid (it was 4 years ago) but I remember thinking how incredibly cheap it was, especially compared to Irish Cream (which is my go to alcohol, what can I say, I'm a lightweight!)

Me too, I can't drink but I do have a bottle of baileys on hand. the only other times I drink are on a cruise and I have my pina coladas and/or bbc's. My DH is a wine drinker so whenever we go out guess who the designated driver is;)Sometimes I think that is the only reason he married me:p. We weren't planning on getting off the ship in falmouth but WE ARE NOW. I think the original/banana and coconut sounds like a plan...:D

Here's a fantastic place to go: Rick's Cafe

http://www.rickscafejamaica.com/index.php

We had a fantastic time here, just grab a cab or a van and have them take you straight there. I think there were less than 20 people there when we went. Our Grandkids and the rest of our party loved the grotto and the diving and I loved the pool and the view...ahhhhhh.

How long is the drive to this cafe? and how much is the cab fare?

Thank you,

Amy

You are about 50 miles from Ricks. It's basicaly a bar & grill with stunning views & cliff divers . It's better at sunset because Negril is famous for there amazing sunsets but it is still nice to see during the day.

I bought Stangers Rum Cream when I was there last year (in Ocho) for $8 a bottle.

My favorite thing that I have done in Jamaica was YS Falls & the Pelican Bar. Very cool!

Hope you get to do an excursion. You wont get to experience the real Jamaica in the port or at a resort.;)

We booked a Day Pass at Rose Hall Hilton all inclusive. It includes all you can eat and drink. And there is a water park on the premises. A couple of water slides and a lazy river with swim up bar. We loved it and the staff were incredible. The food was outstanding.

How long of a ride was it to get there?

Archived