My personal experiences onboard the Sapphire 28 day Hawaii/Samoa/Tahiti cruise.

Toto2Kansas

We were also on board this 28 day cruise and agree with Toto's review and comments.

However in some ways we had a different experience primarily due to the fact we had traditional late dining. Our dining room (the International) was half full each night.

Our shows (late sitting) had no seating congestion. We were in the Wheelhouse Bar and witnessed the line up of the early seating passengers standing in line for up to 45 minutes to get a seat for the show. The line up went well past the Wheelhouse on one side and through the Wheelhouse on the other side.

The scooters situation was insane.....and they were mainly filled with obese passengers. We had a rude woman back her scooter into our elevator immediately when the door opened.....and after we had to climb over her to get off (as that was our stop).....she gave us an embarrassed "sorry".

Thanks for the comments from all!

Can some of you on this cruise talk about what sort of entertainment was available on those last 8 sea days during the daytime???

I hear everything from "lots" to "nothing". I would appreciate maybe someone posting the activities for say, day 4 or 5 of the last leg of the cruise!

Thank you!

Katherine

Here is a link to the Patters for the last 8 sea days:

If you click on the first picture on the left, then click on the magnifying glass with the "+" on it just above the picture, you should be able to read them!

Toto -

Thanks for posting your review. I appreciate hearing the positives and negatives of this type of cruise.

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving!

Theresa

I agree. Thanks for posting and I agree that consideration regarding the scooters should go both ways. Please continue on CC as I enjoy your posts very much.

Thanks for a concise view of the trip. This is one that we are looking at with interest in the future. I understand the disappointment of a trip's prior expectations not being met. I was on a Panama Canal trip once that was a lovely itinerary, but not such a great group of travelers to be going there with us.

I would have been VERY disappointed in Sabatini's being full all the time. That is a real advantage with the suite package.

I also think about the roll call everytime I join. But even last time I arranged a tour and would have been out of cash if the people would not have showed up. (I will not do that again - and they were there without any problem.) But why do that when I am trying to take a break from work anyway!!:D

Love your way of stating "just the facts - nothing but the facts". Hope you don't take too long of a break.

BTW - I would never say anything about being run down by scooters - have been on that end myself. People with strollers have also continuously bumped me from behind. I have also, however, seen people walking around scooters to get on the elevator first. I guess in all circumstanses, it is just rudeness.

People on scooters are an issue. I take offense sometimes because my mom (a stroke victim) uses a scooter. However, my mom has been using a scooter daily for the past 10 years and owns her scooter. She is very experienced. She has never hit anyone but many people have hit her. Once she was parked in the atrium area against a wall. The scooter was turned off. A able bodied cruiser just wasn't looking where she was going and backed/walked right into her. Then the woman told my mom "you hit me" My mom told her...I wasn't moving! My scooter isn't even on. How could I have hit you? The woman left continuing to think it was my mom's fault. Then we have had people practically crawl over my mom at the elevator so they could get in before her. We have to wait for several elevators even though we were in line way before many of the able bodied cruisers. My mom uses a small travel scooter so it is not very large but it still takes more room than a standing person. But believe me my mom would absolutely love to use the stairs.......if she could.

We have also encountered rude and inexperienced people on scooters and they tend to give ALL scooter users a bad name. Not only do they feel entitled, I think they rent their scooters and are not experienced enough to be using them. My mom is extremely slim but many scooter users are obese and can't walk long distances. Renting a scooter once or twice a year is not enough experience to be put on a cruise ship in small, crowded spaces with literally hundreds of other people. Not only is it dangerous for them but for others.

Just don't lump us all together. Just because one scooter user hits people or is rude doesn't mean ALL scooter users are that way. So don't hate my mom just because she uses a scooter. Sit down and talk to her, you may be surprised at how sweet and friendly she is and not at all like you thought she might be because she is a dreaded scooter user. :D

Then we have had people practically crawl over my mom at the elevator so they could get in before her. We have to wait for several elevators even though we were in line way before many of the able bodied cruisers. My mom uses a small travel scooter so it is not very large but it still takes more room than a standing person. But believe me my mom would absolutely love to use the stairs.......if she could.
I've seen that and it seriously pisses me off. When I see someone in a scooter waiting patiently for an elevator, I've been known to stand in front of the elevator, blocking anyone from getting on until everyone is off, and continuing to block them until the person on the scooter is on the elevator. My daughter has been in a wheelchair or on crutches on cruises and it's unbelieveable how people literally knock her over to get through a doorway or onto an elevator. Me... me... me... me... They should sing in an opera. :)

The negative posts aren't about seniors per se, they are about rude entitled people who in this case happen to be seniors. There is a big difference. Are there rude younger people, sure.... but they don't generally run into people with scooters because they tend not to own them. If someone is going to be offensive with a scooter, it is 99% likely to be a senior.

In other words, not all seniors have scooters but most people with scooters tend to be seniors. If one-third of all scooter owners are rude and running into people, most of that third is likely to be seniors.

Well said.....:):):)

Bob

Just don't lump us all together. Just because one scooter user hits people or is rude doesn't mean ALL scooter users are that way. So don't hate my mom just because she uses a scooter. Sit down and talk to her, you may be surprised at how sweet and friendly she is and not at all like you thought she might be because she is a dreaded scooter user. :D

I think most people would agree with everything you said.

Part time scooter riders are a hazard. My own dear mother rammed my Achilles tendon twice in Las Vegas when we set her up on a loaner. I told her I wouldn't go on another trip with her if she took one.

Improper use of nearly anything is a problem, look at what people do to Ukeleles they buy on a Hawaii cruise. I have had to ask neighboring cabins to temper their enthusiasm on more than one occasion. :D

People on scooters are an issue. I take offense sometimes because my mom (a stroke victim) uses a scooter. However, my mom has been using a scooter daily for the past 10 years and owns her scooter. She is very experienced. She has never hit anyone but many people have hit her. Once she was parked in the atrium area against a wall. The scooter was turned off. A able bodied cruiser just wasn't looking where she was going and backed/walked right into her. Then the woman told my mom "you hit me" My mom told her...I wasn't moving! My scooter isn't even on. How could I have hit you? The woman left continuing to think it was my mom's fault. Then we have had people practically crawl over my mom at the elevator so they could get in before her. We have to wait for several elevators even though we were in line way before many of the able bodied cruisers. My mom uses a small travel scooter so it is not very large but it still takes more room than a standing person. But believe me my mom would absolutely love to use the stairs.......if she could.

We have also encountered rude and inexperienced people on scooters and they tend to give ALL scooter users a bad name. Not only do they feel entitled, I think they rent their scooters and are not experienced enough to be using them. My mom is extremely slim but many scooter users are obese and can't walk long distances. Renting a scooter once or twice a year is not enough experience to be put on a cruise ship in small, crowded spaces with literally hundreds of other people. Not only is it dangerous for them but for others.

Hi Linda. :) Very important to remember all the points that you mentioned.

Best regards,

Jeanne

Here is a link to the Patters for the last 8 sea days:

If you click on the first picture on the left, then click on the magnifying glass with the "+" on it just above the picture, you should be able to read them!

Thank you so much! It sure looks like I would be able to find a few fun things to do throughout the day and evening. ;)

Glad to hear that the late dining was less crowded! We always do that since we are snacking at the HC throughout the afternoon and are rarely hungry till after 8 anyway!

Katherine

I was on this cruise. Yes, there were a lot of wheel chairs, walkers and electric carts. Should these people just give up and never go anywhere because they need them? God Bless them for still traveling. The rudest people we encountered were able bodied who would not wait for people to get out of the elevators before charging in.

All in all we found folks very friendly and we met a lot of nice, interesting people.We have anytime dining and we had some great converstions at meal times with different people. Most of the people we met were well traveled and we all had many interesting stories to share.

I loved this cruise and all this negative stuff is very sad to me. It was a great cruise in a beautiful part of the world. I am thankful that I was able to go on it.

WCC

I was on this cruise. Yes, there were a lot of wheel chairs, walkers and electric carts. Should these people just give up and never go anywhere because they need them? God Bless them for still traveling. The rudest people we encountered were able bodied who would not wait for people to get out of the elevators before charging in.

All in all we found folks very friendly and we met a lot of nice, interesting people.We have anytime dining and we had some great converstions at meal times with different people. Most of the people we met were well traveled and we all had many interesting stories to share.

I loved this cruise and all this negative stuff is very sad to me. It was a great cruise in a beautiful part of the world. I am thankful that I was able to go on it.

WCC

Perhaps part of the negativity from the OP was the fact that people were ringing her phone at all hours of the day and infringing on her and DH's privacy by knocking on their cabin door to glean information that they could have otherwise gleaned by going to the Meet and Greet instead of using Toto as their personal concierge?

I certainly didn't see anything offensive in Sue's post. She told the facts as she saw them and in a very concise manner.

We are Seniors - in our early 70's, though very fit and well - but what does worry me is if there is an emergency and we have to abandon ship at any stage, how would those with electric wheel chairs and walking frames manage to walk down the stairs to their stations, as the elevators will not be working. That to me is a huge worry and one that the cruise lines should look at as so many of us oldies are now travelling and in the next few years as the baby boomers retire, there will be even more "oldies" on the ships.

Jennie

I know the ships crew are trained and presumably capable in assisting those who need it at times of emergency, there are about 900 young men and women in the crew even a few hundred infirm could be aided if need be.

I would also like to think that a real emergency would bring out the best in people among the passengers as well. I know in my case I have rendered aid several times and whenever presented with the need, in some cases at some level of risk to myself in the process.

Add to that the inherent safety of ships and I think it is most likely an unfounded worry.

Bravo for saying this Umbarger. It's so easy to label and lump everyone into groups, but it's so unfair. I'm quite sure that most scooter users are considerate, most senior cruisers are delightful, most families are mindful of their children, etc. etc. Unfortunately a few bad apples give a bad name to the whole bunch and people attribute bad behaviors to the entire group. Your post is a reminder to all of us to judge people by their individual behavior, not by their group affiliation.

but what does worry me is if there is an emergency and we have to abandon ship at any stage, how would those with electric wheel chairs and walking frames manage to walk down the stairs to their stations

Those with limited mobility are asked to contact the purser's desk to register their need for assistance in case of emergency. Ship's personnel will be available to assist them and get them to the muster stations.

Caribill,

Thanks for that information. We have found when going to the muster stations for the drill, that so many take so long to get up and down the stairs that we have often wondered what would happen in an emergency.

I know people say that there shouldn't be such an emergency with all the modern equipment etc. but we have been on a ship with a fire and it wasn't a pleasant experience. Even though it wasn't so serious that we had to go to our muster stations, it was still quite frightening and I did wonder about those who weren't quite as agile and how they would cope in an emergency.

Jennie

Thanks for all the reviews. I was on the preceding Hawaii cruise and enjoyed it completely. They announced the average age of the 28 day cruise compared to ours and I was shocked. I can't remember the numbers.

I think it would be a good idea to have the large shows run at 4:00 pm and maybe 8:00 pm. The early birds can watch the early one and then eat. We even had some full, early shows.

Bravo for saying this Umbarger. It's so easy to label and lump everyone into groups, but it's so unfair. I'm quite sure that most scooter users are considerate, most senior cruisers are delightful, most families are mindful of their children, etc. etc. Unfortunately a few bad apples give a bad name to the whole bunch and people attribute bad behaviors to the entire group. Your post is a reminder to all of us to judge people by their individual behavior, not by their group affiliation.
Let's not let PC get in the way of an important discussion because I am in 100% agreement with Sue. The issue with rude passengers and in particular seniors has become very noticeable and takes away from the pleasure of a cruise vacation. I might be accused of stereotyping but stereotypes exist because they are based in truth.

On our last cruise I was run into several times by people using scooters, and more than once was not allowed to exit an elevator because someone with a scooter wanted to get on. In one case, I'm almost positive the man using the scooter could not see, but his wife was providing guidance. She simply told him to "go ahead" as soon as the doors opened instead of waiting for the 8 or 9 people (including me) to get off. I told her that if she waited for people to get off it would be much easier to make room for husband. She stared at me and smiled vacuously.

Some people shouldn't drive when their faculties fail them. Some shouldn't travel indepently if they can't take care of themselves. Combining the two with powered mobility aids is a recipe for disaster. It's a sad fact that any one of us might face.

Everyone one of us has paid to be on that ship and deserve equal consideration. Riding a scooter does not create an entitlement for those who use them.

Sue, I'm sorry your cruise was disappointing. I think the key point from you comments is that having several sea days prior to disembarkation might not be the best thing.

Which is why no one has lumped seniors into groups, rather specified an identified subgroup of seniors based on their individual behavior while on this cruise, just as you suggested in your post. :)

Let's not let PC get in the way of an important discussion because I am in 100% agreement with Sue.

I didn't criticize the OP or anyone who responded to the OP. I just thought Umbarger made a thoughtful contribution to the discussion, and I made a very general observation about how bad behaviors by individuals often make people mad at a larger group. I don't see how that "gets in the way of an important discussion." :confused: Guess I'll get out of the way . . .

Archived