Check in at pier

bgrdfn

We are booked in a Jr Suite, which we understand gets you limited benefits. We know we get a "special" check in line and waiting area. My question is this...We are paying for my DD and her husband for their cruise. They are in an interior room so no special rules apply. I've checked with RCI and they said check at the pier. Do any of you know if they will be able to join us during check-in at the pier so we are not separated? And yes I know, there will be those who are judgmental and opinionated. I am not interested in your opinions, just the facts mamm, just the facts.

We are booked in a Jr Suite, which we understand gets you limited benefits. We know we get a "special" check in line and waiting area. My question is this...We are paying for my DD and her husband for their cruise. They are in an interior room so no special rules apply. I've checked with RCI and they said check at the pier. Do any of you know if they will be able to join us during check-in at the pier so we are not separated? And yes I know, there will be those who are judgmental and opinionated. I am not interested in your opinions, just the facts mamm, just the facts.

I think it depends on who is working the suite waiting area. We had our kids and their spouses with us on one trip and they were allowed in but we were told if they ran out of seats they would have to leave. They didn't run out so it wasn't a problem. I would kindly ask.

It has always been my understanding that although Junior Suites are suites, that they are excluded from the same perks as other suites, which includes the priority check in perk. That's how it seems on RCI's website. I have heard people on these boards complain about it, which, honestly, I can understand. If you pay for a suite, you want the perks. It always made me wonder why RCI even bothers calling junior suites "suites" at all.

Agreed that you should ask politely upopn checking in; it seems the pier staff will make that decision. However, just wanted to say that often, the regular line (non suites, non C&A) can be shorter because they have way more agents to serve those passengers.

You can decide for yourselves how you want to proceed. Since you do not want to be separated, one of you will have to go in the others' line, right? I think it would just be awkward if you went in the suite line and they went in the regular line. Better to stay together. It's not such a huge perk, anyway, IMO. If you get there after boarding has begun, you won't be sitting and waiting anyway. :)

Enjoy your cruise.

The "suite aka priority line" is "also" for the JS's..and clearly marked with a sign..Just head there like you know where you're going all of you together, you in the lead, using the same agent to check you in...Doubtful there will be any problem..I have never been asked to show proof to get in that line..they usually just smile, welcome you and wave you on..Some may have but I have never seen the regular line moving faster than the suite/priority line...Maybe just my timing/luck :)

It has always been my understanding that although Junior Suites are suites, that they are excluded from the same perks as other suites, which includes the priority check in perk.

Not really true. Both times that we sailed in a JS we had priority boarding ... our Set Sail Pass had the word "Suite" in a big circle printed on it.

It is true that other on-board suite perks for JS are non existant.

The "suite aka priority line" is "also" for the JS's..and clearly marked with a sign..Just head there like you know where you're going all of you together, you in the lead, using the same agent to check you in...Doubtful there will be any problem..I have never been asked to show proof to get in that line..they usually just smile, welcome you and wave you on..Some may have but I have never seen the regular line moving faster than the suite/priority line...Maybe just my timing/luck :)

Ditto the above.

Also, the regular lines might be just as convenient, so do not go to the suite check in line if there is a line and the regular check in has no line.

Even if you are together, they can ask the others to go the regular check-in route. In July on boarding FOS, two couples were about to seat themselves. One had priority check-in, the other did not. The agent was nice but told the other couple they would have to move to regular check-in area. Just depends on the number of priority guests they are expecting and how many are there during peak check in time. They aren't required to let anyone in an inside cabin join you.

Check in most likely would not be a problem...but if you arrive before boarding they will probably not let your daughter wait with you in the priority boarding area...and it's really not THAT big of a deal anyhow...you can always just go & wait with them...the few rows of priority chairs might board 2 mins. earlier than the rest of the people waiting...

Nobody has ever questioned me going through the suite check-in line but I have been asked to show my sea pass to get into the suite waiting area. As per my previous comment, my kids and their spouses were told OK but if the area started to overcrowd, they would have to move.

Not really true. Both times that we sailed in a JS we had priority boarding ... our Set Sail Pass had the word "Suite" in a big circle printed on it.

It is true that other on-board suite perks for JS are non existant.

I've never sailed in a JS, so I wasn't sure. I just always thought that priority check in wasn't offered to JS people, even though it is a suite. To me, it makes perfect sense that they would be allowed on a priority line.

I believe that the Set Sail Passes for the 2 areas (Suite/C&A -vs- Non Suite/General Boarding) are kept in different places at the check-in area so may not be as easily accessible from the opposite area. This means that you must depend on the kindness of a cooperative gate agent to fetch the cards from the other area if necessary. ;)

I think it may be port-dependant. In Cape Liberty, there is someone standing at the entrance to the priority check-in area with a clip-board listing "eligible" cabins/passengers. If you are not on the list, you do not get in. When we've sailed with DS and his family, they get an oceanview and are not platinum+ members so use the regular lines (they pay their own way). We just agree to meet in the WJ for lunch. Possibly if we were paying and needed to put our credit card against their setsail passes, they would be able to join us, but no big deal at all.

I think it may be port-dependant. In Cape Liberty, there is someone standing at the entrance to the priority check-in area with a clip-board listing "eligible" cabins/passengers. If you are not on the list, you do not get in. When we've sailed with DS and his family, they get an oceanview and are not platinum+ members so use the regular lines (they pay their own way). We just agree to meet in the WJ for lunch. Possibly if we were paying and needed to put our credit card against their setsail passes, they would be able to join us, but no big deal at all.

Ah, a fellow Cape Liberty cruiser. Yes, the agents at Cape Liberty are not as laid back and lenient as agents are at other ports. We've encountered their crabbiness on several occasions.

We've been both welcomed into the suite line and turned away at two different check ins with jr. suites. We've also had priority check in with diamond status, it was kind of funny because they directed us to the priority check in, my sis and her husband went to the regular line. They got through the check in process faster than us.

We try our best not to get to the terminal with time to wait on our hands. We'd rather get there after boarding begins so we don't have to wait at all.

We have stayed in JS and our children in D1 a couple of times. JS setsail passes are marked SUITE, and you are directed to the suite line as appropriate and our children were allowed with us. With that being said, that "perk" isn't fantastic. Depending on what time of day you are embarking, your wait is nothing, or shorter in the non-suite line anyway. Have a wonderful vacation!

For those who've sailed from new jersey, my mother is emerald but I am only gold (until the end of this cruise). We're in the same cabin. Can we both go in the emerald waiting area/check in area?

If you are in the same cabin, you will check in together.

Archived