MY Son and MY Cruise

Texascruiser47

Hello All,

My girlfriend and I are planning another cruise with our 2 year old after our "couples only" getaway to Hawaii :D...he was 1-1/2 on our last cruise on HAL to Alaska (big mistake :p). And I was wondering why so many people on cruises do not like being around children? It is a free world, right? My son has a right to be on a cruise ship like anyone else and if he does what most 2 year olds do (act a little independent and "grown up" from time to time) that's life, right? So which cruise line is best for a 2 year old on a 7 day cruise that my girlfriend and I can enjoy with our son besides Disney? He's too young to understand what the Disney experience is all about so that's why I'm looking for something other than Disney.

Thanks everyone in advance,

Rick

Even though Carnival is my least favourite cruiseline, I recommend it for 2 year olds. At that age, they can participate in the kids club and the staff there will change diapers. I would seriously consider Disney - the experience is much more than the characters. Other possibilities would be NCL, which allows 2 year olds in their kids club, but parents have to change the diapers, and Royal Caribbean, on ships with a nursery.

And I was wondering why so many people on cruises do not like being around children?

If you're looking for peace and quiet, I can understand not wanting to be around loud, boisterous kids. For some people, it's nothing more complicated than that. These folks I do have some sympathy for, and I'll do what I can -- within reason -- to minimize their exposure to my kids.

But then there are those who simply don't like children, period, and don't want to be around them anywhere. That's certainly their perogative. But when some of them act as though the world should bend to accomodate their preferences, that's when my patience runs out. When you (the general "you") encounter children while out in public, in places where they are legally allowed to be, then it's incumbent upon you to remove yourself if you don't want to be around the kiddos. Otherwise, suck it up, screw on a happy face, and deal with it -- and keep the snide comments and dirty looks to yourself.

My husband and I have taken 2 small ship cruises. One of the reasons we chose these lines was because of the lack of kids. We love kids and have one of our own, but wanted to have quiet adult time and a boat full of children(including drunk college kids) isn't our cup of tea.

However our upcoming cruise is with our son so we've opted to go on Carnival because it is child-friendly.

Personally I think anyone who doesn't want to be around kids needs to go the small ship route. Why these people even pick large lines is beyond me? If you're on a boat with 2000+ people, there will be kids.

In my opinion any large ship is fine for your child. Have fun

Id say pick a line that offers clubs for 2 yr old....carnical ncl. I will be taking my 2 and 3 yr old on carnival cruise. I picked it cuz they can go to club and play with other kids if they want. I'm with u on the disney thing... I plan on doing a disney cruise when my kids are around 4 or 5.

So I have been on NCL before (and again, leaving in 2 days) and I am recently just off a Carnival cruise with my 3yo and 11mo. I have not had a kiddo on an RCCL cruise (yet).

So, I loved that I did not get calls for potty time with Carnival. I won't mind them on NCL. I think all 3 lines, CCL, RCCL, and NCL will all fit great for you. Choose the line you will like best from those three, IMO.

If at all possible we like to cruise each year in Dec or Jan. This year we are cruising for DS's 1st birthday. Next year we will likely wait until after his birthday so that he can take advantage of the kid's club. We will look at itineraries/cost and decide between Carnival or NCL. While I'm sure that DS would like Disney at the age of 2, I too would rather wait until he is just a bit older before spending the extra money on Disney.

Not everyone is adamant about not cruising with kids! While we no longer have little kids (all grown and gone!!!!)...I don't care if there are kids on the ship BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF THEM!!!! That's the key! And, to be honest, except for sea days around the pool, we seldom even notice kids...they are usually busy and in their own areas.

Most ships won't seat "couples" with families...so no problem there, either.

Not sure what the fuss is about!

We don't cruise the Caribbean and have never noticed a problem with overly rowdy kids. We cruise Europe, Alaska, Hawaii, etc. There can be "lots" of kids, but the popluation of kids on our cruises have not proportionately more rude or loud than the adult passengers on those same cruises.

Of the ones I've looked into, other than Disney, Carnival and NCL seem to be more kid friendly. Both have clubs starting at 2, and Carnival will change diapers for those under 3 (if I recall correctly, not sure about NCL).

We are taking our 2 year old and 4 year old on 7 day Carnival Pride in the spring. We were actually booked for a 4 day Disney Magic cruise, but cancelled when we realized that we could have a closer departure port (we're driving!), a longer cruise, and save several hundred dollars.

And I know how you feel. Although we have not cruised with our kids yet, we have already gotten the flack about taking them on a cruise (been told several times that cruises are for adults :rolleyes:). The thing I am worried about most is our 2 year old's tendency to think that he is emperor of the world. He's not spoiled, but that's how 2 year olds are! lol

Just ignore the unpleasant people, and have a fantastic time.

Hello All,

My girlfriend and I are planning another cruise with our 2 year old after our "couples only" getaway to Hawaii :D...he was 1-1/2 on our last cruise on HAL to Alaska (big mistake :p). And I was wondering why so many people on cruises do not like being around children? It is a free world, right? My son has a right to be on a cruise ship like anyone else and if he does what most 2 year olds do (act a little independent and "grown up" from time to time) that's life, right? So which cruise line is best for a 2 year old on a 7 day cruise that my girlfriend and I can enjoy with our son besides Disney? He's too young to understand what the Disney experience is all about so that's why I'm looking for something other than Disney.

Thanks everyone in advance,

Rick

Your Dec 1st post may be why some people do not like to cruise with some little ones. I love children (raised three of them) but would hate to have to suffer through listerning to your son acting like your daughter did.....

>>>The other people on board didn't seem to enjoy her screeming and crying the entire time but....who cares?!<<<

>>>>took my 2 year old on a Antarctica cruise last year and she loved it! The other people on board didn't seem to enjoy her screeming and crying the entire time but....who cares?! We had a blast, go for it. We're going to Mt. Everest followed by a jungle hike through the Amazon in 2012. Can't wait, Disney World is for wimps! <<<<<

Your Dec 1st post may be why some people do not like to cruise with some little ones. I love children (raised three of them) but would hate to have to suffer through listerning to your son acting like your daughter did.....

>>>The other people on board didn't seem to enjoy her screeming and crying the entire time but....who cares?!<<<

>>>>took my 2 year old on a Antarctica cruise last year and she loved it! The other people on board didn't seem to enjoy her screeming and crying the entire time but....who cares?! We had a blast, go for it. We're going to Mt. Everest followed by a jungle hike through the Amazon in 2012. Can't wait, Disney World is for wimps! <<<<<

I hope he's not taking the children to Mt Everest. Definitely not a child friendly area. I was there a few years ago and regardless of how one feels, it's too dangerous a place for kids.

WOW, Rick, maybe because of some of your other posts is the reason that people don't like to cruise with children. I am a *huge* supporter of children and cruising. But it's comments like yours that make my battle even harder when I *try* to convince adults (that want an adult-only experience) that kids will not impact their cruise. :(

If your daughter is screaming and crying, it's not "who cares" - the other passengers CARE. Remove her from the situation and help us other parents who cruise all the time with our kids.

To answer your original question, NCL and Carnival have kids clubs starting at the age of 2. But their pools do NOT allow kids in diapers. So please don't be one of the inconsiderate parents that sticks a child in a diaper in a hot tub. ;)

Wow...If it were my child I would care. While I think it's completely unrealistic to expect children to behave perfectly all of the time and to expect a child-free zone in a public place, I think it's reasonable to expect that parents will seek to minimize how their children affect other people.

Seems to have a split personality. Most posts are signed Doug, and refers to wife Marie. This one is signed Rick. Someone is seeking to mess with our minds...EM

Doug also had a daughter - Rick has a son AND a girlfriend . . . . hmmm.

Doug also had a daughter - Rick has a son AND a girlfriend . . . . hmmm.

Actually, according to this post:

Ever since we booked this cruise (and it will be our first time to Hawaii) we've been watching everything we can about Hawaii on the Travel Channel, Discovery Channel, History Channel, etc. (you know, to get in the mood). Except for a handful of locals and visiting scientists, it appears from watching all these shows about Hawaii that all tourists (and 98% of the locals) in Hawaii are under 30, the women all look like Angelina Jolie and the men are all tanned and look like a 25 year old Arnold Schwarzenegger...and 90% of these folks have little kids with them.

I'm 49 and pack a few extra pounds. My wife and I don't have kids. So I'm wondering, from what we are shown from these media outlets about visiting Hawaii, are you allowed to set foot on the Hawaiian islands if you're over 30, can't bench press 500 lbs and don't have small children?

From his current roll call, he is 49 and they have no children...

EM

Archived