I-PAD in Every Cabin......

sail7seas

Imagine the germs :-)

I dont know, sounds like an expensive idea to me. Ipads aren't cheap and are pretty easy to mess up (i'd think). What purpose are they using them for, did they say? How will they keep them from walking? The point of ipads is how modular they are so tying them down like they are at the apple store would seemingly defeat the purpose.

I wouldn't want an I-Pad available for me in the cabin.

I've had a couple of issues with being charged, after disembarkation, for mini-bar items I didn't consume ... and I've seen comments from some in spa staterooms being charged for pedometers they didn't ever use.

Perhaps a system similar to the I-Pods with the pre-loaded art tours would work. Passengers could go to the Library and sign out an I-Pad, with the understanding that if it is not returned by a specific date $XX will be added to your onboard account.

If HAL has problems keeping track of inexpensive cans of soda or bottles of water, imagine the nightmare with costly electronics.

Imagine the germs :-)

I dont know, sounds like an expensive idea to me. Ipads aren't cheap and are pretty easy to mess up (i'd think). What purpose are they using them for, did they say? How will they keep them from walking? The point of ipads is how modular they are so tying them down like they are at the apple store would seemingly defeat the purpose.

I'd agree that even buying the cheapest model at a bargain price would still be pretty expensive. I will say that iPads are relatively easy to use and don't have quite as much flexibility as say a laptop so there's not much to mess up. My son and I got together and gave my mother/his grandmother one so she'd have access to the Internet and so far she hasn't managed to mess it up. She's pretty sharp at 88 but considering a cell phone was a challenge for her I was initially concerned.....so far so good. I guess if one "walks" off the ship there'd be a substantial charge to the passengr's on board account, a lot more tha a couple of missing Cokes out of the mini-fridge. ;):)

I have my own with 3G and love it ...

That said, when we were on Celebrity's Eclipse about a year ago, where they used them for the menu in the Qsine extra-fee restaurant, I thought it was a waste. If anything, they were much slower to figure out than a paper menu and a lot of waiter time was consumed trying to explain the use to those dining. We never did see all our choices to select from, and as a result didn't have a meal worth the extra cost.

Like Qsine in general, I found the iPad use in that venue to be an effort to seem trendy and hip, whether it was ideal for function or not. That would probably be the case if they were put in staterooms too.

I would not want to be responsible for an I-pad in our room. We lock our netbook in the safe, along with other valuables and the I-pad would not fit along with everything else. The cabin doors are often left open while the stewards do their job and an item as hot as an I-pad could grow legs and escape.

I agree with the suggestion that one might be able to sign out an I-pad for the duration of a cruise, but to have the responsibility foisted on one whether they want it or not, just does not appeal to me.

I'd agree that even buying the cheapest model at a bargain price would still be pretty expensive. I will say that iPads are relatively easy to use and don't have quite as much flexibility as say a laptop so there's not much to mess up. My son and I got together and gave my mother/his grandmother one so she'd have access to the Internet and so far she hasn't managed to mess it up. She's pretty sharp at 88 but considering a cell phone was a challenge for her I was initially concerned.....so far so good. I guess if one "walks" off the ship there'd be a substantial charge to the passengr's on board account, a lot more tha a couple of missing Cokes out of the mini-fridge. ;):)

Sorry, by "mess up" I was referring to cracking the screen, dropping it, sitting on it, whatever. I should have been more clear :-)

As to some older folks "messing up" computers somehow....my boyfriends mother (she's I think 77 or so) somehow erased windows from her desktop but has no idea how :-) hehehe

Sorry, by "mess up" I was referring to cracking the screen, dropping it, sitting on it, whatever. I should have been more clear :-)

As to some older folks "messing up" computers somehow....my boyfriends mother (she's I think 77 or so) somehow erased windows from her desktop but has no idea how :-) hehehe

I hadn't thought of that angle but I guess if you break it you buy it. Actually the more I think of this idea the worse it sounds. Might make more sense to have Internet access somehow through the TV and then charge users accordingly. About the only risk would be a relatively inexpensive keyboard.

My mother kept making a bunch of "butt dial" phone calls with no idea why people were upset to hear some 88 year old going on about "who are you and why are you on my phone!". She finally somehow set up a locking code that nobody was able to crack. :D

No thanks. Cruising for me is about getting away from daily life ... no phones, no computers, no Internet, nada.

Dogstar.

Personally I agree. We've never bought one second of Internet time on a cruise and don't plan on it anytime soon. Our iPads are with us because our music and books are stored on them, not for access to the Internet. Our cell phones go in the safe as soon as we call family once we're on the ship to say "we're out of here" and they stay there until we're ready to get off disembarkation morning. My wife has a work Blackberry and that doesn't even leave the house. :)

Not interested. Most of my family aren't technology-enabled anyway, and are perfectly happy with a mid-week telephone call from whatever port I'm in on Wednesday. They know how to get in touch with the ship should that become absolutely necessary. As for me, I'm happy to be disconnected for a week or so.

Not interested. Most of my family aren't technology-enabled anyway, and are perfectly happy with a mid-week telephone call from whatever port I'm in on Wednesday. They know how to get in touch with the ship should that become absolutely necessary. As for me, I'm happy to be disconnected for a week or so.

Me too !!!

I gather the iPads will do a lot of things for free i.e. check your account, book shore excursions, reservations for restaurants and spa etc. As well as charged internet etc. It will also elimante a lot of the paper based items sent to cabins. Much like some ships interactive TV but delivered wireless = less installation costs?

I would not be suprised if they will have targeted adverts based on your onboard spending. I gather that the cruise line involved is also boosting the amount of bandwidth available so the connections will be better for the charged internet access that will also be avaialble through the iPads.

As for cost I guess that if you are buying 1000+ iPads then you get them at less than retail price!

Archived