Out of my lanai chair!!

GatorV

If I wasn't wanting to sit out it would not bother me in the least if someone else used it. I'm happy to share..... If I did want to sit out then I would politely ask them to borrow/use another one. For me, a very important part of a cruise is sitting on the beloved lower promenade deck or being in one of our other favorite outdoor venues on the ship.

Isn't there a small sign by these lanai cabins that notes they're supposed to be reserved for those cabins? I thought I'd read that on these pages.

If it were me like the last poster it would depend on that moment whether I actually wanted to use the chair but if I did I wouldn't hesitate to politely ask the fellow cruiser to vacate those dedicated chairs.

Isn't there a small sign by these lanai cabins that notes they're supposed to be reserved for those cabins? I thought I'd read that on these pages.

If it were me like the last poster it would depend on that moment whether I actually wanted to use the chair but if I did I wouldn't hesitate to politely ask the fellow cruiser to vacate those dedicated chairs.

Small is the operative word here, they are not very obvious. I would not have a problem politely asking for them to move. The odds are they did not realize they were reserved.

Kirk

If someone's in your chair, just walk out and sit no them. When they make a fuss, play it off with, "I didn't notice that YOU were SITTING IN MY CHAIR", then get up to let them move and then sit back down.

Whacha think?

Derek

I'm a little concerned about our upcoming cuise on Maasdam... Are there enough deck chairs to accomodate most of those who don't have a Lanai and a reserved pair of chairs? My guess is that there aren't but that there are usually empty chairs of those reserved.

I could bring two pillows and sit on the floor while many reserved chairs go unused, tacky, but that may be my only option. Of course I would smile and quickly vacate if the chair owners wish to use the chairs that they paid for.

We will have mostly port days (only 6 sea days in 24) and we don't do much in the ports so we were looking forward to enjoying the ship while others were in port... and that includes the promonade deck because that is where the shade is.

Any suggestions? I'm concerned about having booked Maasdam now that they have changed her, but I'm hopeful I'll find a solution and cooperative fellow passengers. Maybe I'll get to make friends with a Lanai occupant:) m--

As far as I can tell from my experience, the rumored lanai crisis is overblown. We spent 28 days on the Volendam, which has lanais, and finding a non-lanai lounger on the lower promenade deck was no big problem. Particularly on port days, when most everyone is ashore, there should be lots of them empty.

Chair hogging and other related phenomena seem to be time-specific. Lots of demand in the morning (if the weather is right) and noontime; less demand in the afternoon.

Same same for non-lanai ships. We spent 28 days on the Nieuw Amsterdam and seldom had a problem.

As to confrontations over lanaied chairs, I have never heard of one. So calm down and anjoy the prospects of your cruise.

As far as I can tell from my experience, the rumored lanai crisis is overblown. We spent 28 days on the Volendam, which has lanais, and finding a non-lanai lounger on the lower promenade deck was no big problem. Particularly on port days, when most everyone is ashore, there should be lots of them empty.

Chair hogging and other related phenomena seem to be time-specific. Lots of demand in the morning (if the weather is right) and noontime; less demand in the afternoon.

Same same for non-lanai ships. We spent 28 days on the Nieuw Amsterdam and seldom had a problem.

As to confrontations over lanaied chairs, I have never heard of one. So calm down and anjoy the prospects of your cruise.

The Volendam doesn't have lanais.

The OP means the cabins on the Lower Prom (walk around deck) with sliding doors out onto that deck.

The N. Amsterdam doesn't have cabins on the Promenade (walk around deck) so there is no problem there.

My apologies. The lanai comments I made involved the Veendam, which we sailed in March from Rio to FLL. Confusion comes with old age. Our next trip, NZ to Vancouver, will be on the Volendam, which, as pointed out, is not lanaied.

Are you sure Volendam has lanai cabins? I thought they were only ocean view.

We spent 28 days on the Volendam, which has lanais, and finding a non-lanai lounger on the lower promenade deck was no big problem.

I am really happy to hear this because on our Rotterdam cruise last year, there were definitely not enough loungers on the deck. The few non-reserved loungers they had were mostly to the aft of the deck and looked at a white steel wall - no view of the water. They were obviously old and not maintained - peeling varnish, broken arms, one with an arm missing, etc. Kinda made you feel like you were second class citizens. I'm glad to hear that this problem has been rectified on the Volendam.

Search the topic on this forum. There have been confrontations. It is quite naive to think that there will be no hostile backlash, expressed or surpressed, after you basically throw someone out of their comfortable chair.

igraf

...As to confrontations over lanaied chairs, I have never heard of one. So calm down and anjoy the prospects of your cruise.

I'm still trying to figure out.

Why would anyone want to settle into a chair that's right outside of someones cabin? This is the mystery that hasn't been answered.

The (lower)promenade deck has always been a public deck where everyone could sit in a lounger without a reserved sign on it outside the ocean view cabins, now these people are forced to sit at the far sides looking at steel..pure discrimination..

The (lower)promenade deck has always been a public deck where everyone could sit in a lounger without a reserved sign on it outside the ocean view cabins, now these people are forced to sit at the far sides looking at steel..pure discrimination..

If you don't like it, don't sail on ships with lanai cabins. Quite simple, no?

I'm still trying to figure out.

Why would anyone want to settle into a chair that's right outside of someones cabin? This is the mystery that hasn't been answered.

Because the view is better. Perhaps it's because prior to the conversion to lanai cabins....those chairs were ideal for many...some may not even realize that there are now cabin doors (sliding) that weren't there before. I don't know, it would be hard to miss those sliding doors, I think, but it's quite a departure from how it 'used to be', so maybe there's some confusion, or just the desire to sit in what was once free space.

Oh, I would hardly call it 'discrimination'. While disappointing to many, it's a pretty strong word for something so minor, especially compairing it to examples of REAL discrimination. JMO

If you don't like it, don't sail on ships with lanai cabins. Quite simple, no?

That's not the problem peter, of course I use other ships, it's the principal of having a public walk around promenade deck, HAL should not advertise that they have a public walk around deck, while they have now created another veranda (balcony) deck, which is wrong..

Has anyone ever asked someone to move from your reserved lanai chair AND would you do so? not sure I could, but guessing if I went in and out enough they might get the hint?

First lanai coming up!

Well, yes, I would tell someone/anyone to move from my reserved lanai chair/lounger, which is included in the cost of the lanai stateroom! ;) Why wouldn't you? :confused: By the way, there are TWO loungers reserved for EACH lanai stateroom! :)

That's not the problem peter, of course I use other ships, it's the principal of having a public walk around promenade deck, HAL should not advertise that they have a public walk around deck, while they have now created another veranda (balcony) deck, which is wrong..

It is still a public walk around deck: anyone can go for a stroll. :rolleyes:

As far as I am concerned, this lanai debate is much ado about nothing. I concur with Boyntjie.

I have no interest in lanais but clearly some other people are willing to shell extra bucks for those. To each, one's own.

Archived