Beware overcharges at the nightly Diamond event

Beachin2

In October we were on the Jewel (no Diamond Lounge) and went to the nightly Diamond event for pre-dinner cocktails. We won’t drink the free “La Terrible” wine, so we sat at the bar and ordered 2 standard cocktails apiece each evening. The advertised D “perk” is a 25% discount off standard drinks at the D event.

The nightly event was so lightly attended (maybe 4 other folks max at the bar) that they simply ran us a tab for the 4 drinks and ran the card through as we were leaving and I added a few extra $ to each slip (as is my custom) each evening.

Sorting through the “rubble” when we got home I discovered that we were given the 25% discount on 1 drink – not the other 3 on the tab each evening. I did note the discount line on each slip at the time, but never looked at it close enough to do the math.

Wrote to RCI C&A about 6 weeks ago (with a follow-up CC to Mr. Goldstein) and still have not heard word one back from RCI.

Only thing I can come up with is a) they know about it and are mystified as to how to fix the software in the lounge, or b) they know about it and just don’t care.

My betting $ is on option “a” given their stellar IT track record.

It isn’t the small amount of $ involved – I’d gladly donate it to the bartender tip pool – it’s the principal.

Word to the wise – watch your bar tabs/slips at the nightly D event.

In October we were on the Jewel (no Diamond Lounge) and went to the nightly Diamond event for pre-dinner cocktails. We won’t drink the free “La Terrible” wine, so we sat at the bar and ordered 2 standard cocktails apiece each evening. The advertised D “perk” is a 25% discount off standard drinks at the D event.

The nightly event was so lightly attended (maybe 4 other folks max at the bar) that they simply ran us a tab for the 4 drinks and ran the card through as we were leaving and I added a few extra $ to each slip (as is my custom) each evening.

Sorting through the “rubble” when we got home I discovered that we were given the 25% discount on 1 drink – not the other 3 on the tab each evening. I did note the discount line on each slip at the time, but never looked at it close enough to do the math.

Wrote to RCI C&A about 6 weeks ago (with a follow-up CC to Mr. Goldstein) and still have not heard word one back from RCI.

Only thing I can come up with is a) they know about it and are mystified as to how to fix the software in the lounge, or b) they know about it and just don’t care.

My betting $ is on option “a” given their stellar IT track record.

It isn’t the small amount of $ involved – I’d gladly donate it to the bartender tip pool – it’s the principal.

Word to the wise – watch your bar tabs/slips at the nightly D event.

Have never had that problem...enjoy your RCL cruises...K.O. near Philly;) Also did write Mr. Goldstein an e-mail about a month ago and not only did I get a response the next day I also received a phone call from his staff! A wonderful and pleasant surprise. Just one more reason I'll always sail RC

Thanks for the warning, but I think you have to be careful to check your tab in any of the bars. Once when DH and I bought a pre-dinner cocktail, we signed our tab for the two drinks, and proceeded on to the dining room. The next day, we checked our account (try to do that daily) and -- to our great surprise, we'd also bought a round of drinks for someone we'd apparently never met! :eek: That prompted an immediate trip to Guest Services for DH, who got the problem resolved. It definitely reinforced our habit of carefully checking all of our purchases before we leave the ship. :cool:

When I attended the D event on Radiance, it was up in the VCL. The lounge was not closed to other people. In order to get the 25% off, we had to show a SeaPass card saying Diamond or higher for every drink ordered. In other words, when I ordered for DW and me, I had to show the bartender both our cards. It sounds like the Jewel might have been set up the same way. The bartender probably should have said something.

Interesting - so that's at least 3 of us who have run into this issue.

You would think that if RCI was advertising a "closed" loyalty perk event they could at least get the charges right.

No excuse for this at all. The card shows the status & the card must be shown for entry.

Talk about being nickled & dimed.

Nice way to treat your better repeat customers.

Remember, they also get an automatic gratuity added. That tip would be better on say 4 drinks that cost $8.50 each than say 4 drinks that cost $6.38 (25% off). That's a difference in tips of a few bucks per group. (then multiply it times number of drinks ordered and missed with discount) I hate to think that way but it has happened to us before on ships. (not in the Diamond event). When we were on the Freedom in June, we ordered 2 Bacardi's and cokes. We were charged this amount, when we were at a different bar the next day, it was $4.00 more? I questioned that with guest services and even they couldn't figure it out. The only explanation they could give was maybe we got better booze on the 2nd order? Ok, Bacardi is simply Bacardi, it shouldn't matter where you order it at on the ship. :rolleyes: I think we'd been scammed and missed it. I always watch my receipts carefully. On the other hand, on the Liberty recently, we ordered 2 drinks and were charged for only 1. My hubby brought that to the bartenders attention so he could remedy it.

When I attended the D event on Radiance, it was up in the VCL. The lounge was not closed to other people. In order to get the 25% off, we had to show a SeaPass card saying Diamond or higher for every drink ordered. In other words, when I ordered for DW and me, I had to show the bartender both our cards.

I really like that idea for the D event and I'll one better a wish list. Wonder if they could do somthing like that during the D event hours so you could go to any bar and recieve the 25% off. This way you could wander about and find a comfortable watering hole that suits your personal preference!!;)

I really like that idea for the D event and I'll one better a wish list. Wonder if they could do somthing like that during the D event hours so you could go to any bar and recieve the 25% off. This way you could wander about and find a comfortable watering hole that suits your personal preference!!;)

I like that idea!:D

I am with you 100% on that. I've been saying that for years.

At the diamond event, I believe you can only buy one drink at a time at the discounted price. So you'll get the discount on the first but not any others.

Each diamond member would have to use their own card to get the

discount on each drink they purchase.

But check the bill every time anyway.

At the diamond event, I believe you can only buy one drink at a time at the discounted price. So you'll get the discount on the first but not any others.

OK, so the 2 of us are at a VERY uncrowded bar, have 2 each - you are saying that they need to make this 4 "transactions" on their system? Now that's efficiency!

I really like the suggestion of applying the discount at ANY venue on the ship (without a dedicated DL). That's brilliant!

That may have been what happened to us as we bought two drinks.

My solution is for you Diamond folks to take your cruises on Celebrity! Your Diamond status will get you reciprical status as Celebrity Elite. They have nightly cocktail parties (2 hours long) where you can get both wine or many cocktails for free.

Hank

My solution is for you Diamond folks to take your cruises on Celebrity! Your Diamond status will get you reciprical status as Celebrity Elite. They have nightly cocktail parties (2 hours long) where you can get both wine or many cocktails for free.

True. But that's also the case on 6 RCI ships.

Just received a reply from RCI:

"The feedback we receive from our guests is one of the best methods of measuring our performance. Thank you for taking a moment to share your concerns regarding the system issue during the nightly Diamond event. I assure you we have shared this information with our operational teams for review and thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

In addition, as our valued guest, I would like to extend an onboard credit in the amount of $50.00 for a future sailing. This credit is valid for the next twelve months. In order to apply it to your future reservation, please reference certificate number XXXXX and booking number XXXX."

I promptly wrote them right back asking for this amount to be donated to their employee relief/emergency fund and to please advise me when the operational team responds and when the issue will be fixed.

It never has been about the $ to me, but at least they seem to agree that there is a problem!

We have several long cruises booked in '12, some with a DL and some without. We will make D+ in '12 but figure this issue should get straightened out BEFORE the next round of "changes" to the C&A program.

Archived