Newbuild Nbr 29 "little" Voyager of the seas

Hello everyone.

I know I promissed you all a video of the little Voyager on the lake. I made that video with a small on-board camera but it made only a 30 second recording, I was still getting ready to leave the docks when the resoding stopped. Obviously something is wrong with its battery I ordered another one so a video is still to come.

Weather had been so bad here, too much wind. When the weather was good there was no time:mad: I hope to summer will get me some windless weekends.

In september my wife and I will be cruising on the oasis of the Seas. I will document the ship as good as I can. If I succeed to get the plans, I will seriously consider to build it, but it is going to be BIIIIG!

Meanwhile I am constructing something new, I can't resit.

SAM_1727_zps8d6cb3e5.jpg

SAM_1714_zps4fd82900.jpg

My wife tells me we need a bigger house I tend to build the bigger all the time, but allows me more detail.

John

...Meanwhile I am constructing something new, I can't resit.

My wife tells me we need a bigger house I tend to build the bigger all the time, but allows me more detail.

John

Thanks for the report John. Looking forward to seeing the next masterpiece come alive!:)

Still not sure if the Oasis of the seas will follow.

I've only just found this thread (I'm new to the RC threads) and all I can say is WOW!

Such patience, dedication, attention to detail, and a ultimately satisfying conclusion.

A Oasis class ship, that would be something! Would it float?

Thanks everyone.

Weatherforcast for this weekend, sunny, some minor clouds and windforce 1, perfect!! I will take the model to the lake in the morning (less wind, and sailboats making waves. I will be making nice pictures and I will try to make some video with the photo camera.

For the Oasis, will it float?, oh yeah!! I hardly ever make static models. My problem with this big guy is stability. The Voyager is already top heavy, and when you look at the Oasis, it is even worse. A friend of mine is an nautics engineer, I talked to him about it and he gave me some good tips on solving that.

This model will be almost 12 feet long!! I have the space to build it, only how do I get this thing transported? I should move next to a lake :D It will be a while to start but if I do a new thread called "little oasis of the seas" will follow.... of course.

Voyager footage update in a few days!

Jan

Thanks everyone.

Weatherforcast for this weekend, sunny, some minor clouds and windforce 1, perfect!! I will take the model to the lake in the morning (less wind, and sailboats making waves. I will be making nice pictures and I will try to make some video with the photo camera.

For the Oasis, will it float?, oh yeah!! I hardly ever make static models. My problem with this big guy is stability. The Voyager is already top heavy, and when you look at the Oasis, it is even worse. A friend of mine is an nautics engineer, I talked to him about it and he gave me some good tips on solving that.

This model will be almost 12 feet long!! I have the space to build it, only how do I get this thing transported? I should move next to a lake :D It will be a while to start but if I do a new thread called "little oasis of the seas" will follow.... of course.

Voyager footage update in a few days!

Jan

You big tease! I'll be looking out for that new thread.

... My problem with this big guy is stability. The Voyager is already top heavy, and when you look at the Oasis, it is even worse. A friend of mine is an nautics engineer, I talked to him about it and he gave me some good tips on solving that....

Maybe put a real ice rink in the lowest deck?;)

John

Hello John!

You don't need a bigger house but I think a bigger hot tub will be needed!

I can't believe I only found this thread today. I am also a model builder but, alas, I've only ever built them from kits. Elaborate kits yes, but kits nonetheless. Your wonderful ships are truly works of art combined with engineering as you built them sea (lake) worthy as well!! I have always hunted down the ship models on every Royal ship I've been on (many!) and taken hours to appreciate the workmanship. You should be proud to know that your's puts them all to shame! YOUR'S WORK!!

I can also appreciate the attachment you have with them. They're almost like your children. Your story about dropping the stern section and then having to walk away for 30 minutes before you could look hit close to home as a friend knocked over a Fletcher Class destroyer I had built which was a replica of the ship my Dad served on in WWII. I was not in the room at the time and I had to get hold of my emotions as well before I could look. Fortunately, my story ended as your's in that the damage could be fixed in a few hours.

I join the other posters on the thread in congratulating you on "your new child" and look forward to your projects going forward!

Bill G

Hello John!

You don't need a bigger house but I think a bigger hot tub will be needed!

I can't believe I only found this thread today. I am also a model builder but, alas, I've only ever built them from kits. Elaborate kits yes, but kits nonetheless. Your wonderful ships are truly works of art combined with engineering as you built them sea (lake) worthy as well!! I have always hunted down the ship models on every Royal ship I've been on (many!) and taken hours to appreciate the workmanship. You should be proud to know that your's puts them all to shame! YOUR'S WORK!!

I can also appreciate the attachment you have with them. They're almost like your children. Your story about dropping the stern section and then having to walk away for 30 minutes before you could look hit close to home as a friend knocked over a Fletcher Class destroyer I had built which was a replica of the ship my Dad served on in WWII. I was not in the room at the time and I had to get hold of my emotions as well before I could look. Fortunately, my story ended as your's in that the damage could be fixed in a few hours.

I join the other posters on the thread in congratulating you on "your new child" and look forward to your projects going forward!

Bill G

Completely agree!!!! What a work of art!

For the model builders in the U.S., I found a hull that may be of use: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2146744&highlight=contain+ship

It is 82" long and is of the Emma Maersk. I have ordered one....

Mel D.

1332786519_Emma1.jpg.d5ea36c942dd6fb8189858d37e0165eb.jpg

Edited by Mel D.

Hello Every one,

So fantastic to read the messages here! I enjoy it.

I indeed need a bigger tub, now why did I not think of that?

I also enjoy looking a the models onboard the real ships, I usually do so while I wait for my wife before going to dinner. (she needs a lillte more time...) They are fairly industrial but I alike all models and I can keep staring at them for hours. Anyone say the Grandeur model on board the Grandeur of the seas, now that is my example.

Anything good to see for models on board the Oasis of the seas?

The hull shown on the link is pretty good. The hull may be a bit low and needs to be adapted but that is not so diffucult. Good to start with. Anyone wants to do that, I will gladly give some advise on how to do this.

The lake last weekend!!

When I woke up and the sun was shining, no leafs moving in the trees, I had breakfast in minutes, the model was already in the car, and I could not wait to go take the little Voyger to the lake.

It is actually a sailing- and diving club. The lake is very deep, but clean as a pool. I am a member there only for my models. I usually disspear before the first sailer arrives, bey they heard there's this guy who comes with models.

Anyway the wind was harder than expected, and turned into fairly hard soon.

voyager1_zpse74b874a.jpg

[/url]

voyager3_zps5f1f8ffd.jpg

voyager5_zpse06cc1df.jpg

I moved to the other side of the lake, where I could take advantage of big trees blocking the wind. But taking pictures the model would be blown away by the wind so quicly. I was there by myself so I had the keep her in position and take the pictures too which was not easy. So after an hour I changed position and eventually had to go back where I put her into the water. This was at where the wind had full impact and some small waves were formed. So I decided to go in and let her have it all.

This wind to proportion to the model is like a serious storm.

The water is not so deep at that spot so I wanted to know if she could cope with the wind and I gave 100% throttle and than make full turns the wind even pushing her over further. At some point The tips of the stabilizers were sufacing and one propeller was taking on air! My heart was pounding but nothing happened. The batteries are firmy in place and cannot move. I was ready to jump in of course.

I had some water inside, but at this weather it is acceptable.

I think her big sister would behave the same way.

At this moment, in a real situation, everything not bolted down....

voyager6_zps8a5b4e4e.jpg

voyager7_zps3fca879c.jpg

Here is at full power, but only to try how it goes. This speed is wrong for this model, but I had to see how she behaved.

voyager8_zpsc465ad3f.jpg

I have been there for 3 hours and the sun, wind and adventure was a great morning to spend.

I took video too of course, but not the stormy part as I wanted to keep both hands on my transmitter. But I will do that later when some one else can hold the camera

Now I have to figure out how to put that on u-tube, I will post a link here soon.

your captain,

John

Excellent video!

I was wondering if you considered - to add stability in windy conditions - a detachable centerboard like ones used on sailboats. A large one would definitely help keep her more stable and you could make it detachable for when its not in the water.

Just a thought....

Still amazed each time I see it!!!