Newbuild Nbr 29 "little" Voyager of the seas

Excellent video!

I was wondering if you considered - to add stability in windy conditions - a detachable centerboard like ones used on sailboats. A large one would definitely help keep her more stable and you could make it detachable for when its not in the water.

Just a thought....

Still amazed each time I see it!!!

THANK YOU ALL!

I made some more video but I just got a brand new spy camera, it is very small and light. I will put it on the model to get views you might not get on a real cruise (roof of the Viking crown,...) and see if I can edit it somehow.

The model has a keel already. It weighs alsmost 6 pounds and is fixed under the hull, and is painted black. The shape is made so it is not visible when the model is in the water, and have as less drag as possible, and mounted solid enough it does not create damage when hitting bottom. Even tough I expected better stability from it.

IMG_3728_zps9b084a88.jpg

SAM_1038_zps4789a741.jpg

This is my model sailboat. I made it 10 years ago and it has a big 13 pound keel. It is also quite a big one, 4 feet long. I sail it only once or twice per year but a lot of fun. You can see the spy camera mounted on the rear railing in front of the stars and stripes . Great video too.

Makes you wonder about the stability of real ships. For those of you worried during storms; When I deliberately pull the model sideways, the more I pull it to one side the more I can feel the force from nature to get back upright. I am very honestly sorry I never pursued an engineering degree. (I have an economics degree)

Edited by modelbuilder

I just returned from your wonderful country, for a bit of a vacation, and am getting caught up on CC and your wonderful thread.

Thanks so much for sharing your videos. After watching models of the QM2 being tested in large tanks to see how wind and swells will work, your model works very well, IMHO!

Would love to see your ship underway with the spy cam build in.

Thanks again for sharing such a great hobby, and your incredible talent with us. It's greatly appreciated.

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend was the canal-run. A 6 km run on a canal walking along the models. Some models have a hard time to cope with the distance, but the Voyager can do that several times easy, lots of battery capacity.

It was windy when we started, so I made the recording at the very end of the day when most model captains were packing up. At one time you can see my brothers Splendor of the seas.

Anyway I mounted a small camera on the roof of the viking crown facing forward. I have made another one facing bacwards towards the viking crown and one recording on top of the bridge. I will try to make an edited version after I make a recording at the lake where the background looks better than a canal.

John

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone,

The model Voyager of the seas has not seen a lot of water last summer. I like more to build models than to take it to the lake.

But what has hapenend is my cruise on the Oasis of the Seas from Barcelona, Spain to Rotterdam, The Netherlands. The ship is how shoud I say... immense!! It is truely a wonder to see and to cruise on. We had great weather making a cruise always at ats best. We're not in the Caribbean here so a cruise in this part of Europe with the weather we had end September, is great.

In short, big ship, beautiful ship, lots to do and see. Elevators and Windjammer have a hard time coping with the crowd, but for the rest, big wow.

I took about 800 pictures, enough to build a model. But honestly, I seriously doubt this RC-model would be stable on the water. I can build it for sure, it would be a major challenge. I could hardly wait to get started, but this model would need a serious keel to keep it stable. I am not sure if I would ever be able to obtain the plans, if I do I will seriously consider to build this model which should be almost 3 meters long.

But what I do want to share with you is that fact that I visited the Oasis again! The destination Rotterdam is no coincidence, she is in a drydock there now. Thanks to Cruise connection and Royal Caribbean I was invited to come see the ship in drydock which is... wonderful.

DSCN4819_zps25750c4a.jpg

This picuture does not even give you an idea of the grandeur of this ship standing there.

DSCN4838_zps9277b0b0.jpg

A lot of construction going on, many people everywhere. They installed a new engine, the propellors are removed now. The interiour also gets a full reconstruction. The Japanese restaurant from the Windjammer is relocated (excellent idea) so the windjammer has more space. The suite lounge is rebuilt to actual suites, the Viking crown is being rebuilt to a restaurant and a consierge area.

SAM_1203_zps1eaca6fb.jpg

SAM_1216_zps6175ec63.jpg

We had lunch on board and I had the great honors of sitting next to the captain! I had to hold myself back not to ask him a thousand technical questions, but it was a great experience, and a great recognition of the models I have built.

So will there be an RC model Oasis of the Seas?, I do not know yet but I'll post it here if I do.

Best regards

John

Hello everyone,

The model Voyager of the seas has not seen a lot of water last summer. I like more to build models than to take it to the lake.

But what has hapenend is my cruise on the Oasis of the Seas from Barcelona, Spain to Rotterdam, The Netherlands. The ship is how shoud I say... immense!! It is truely a wonder to see and to cruise on. We had great weather making a cruise always at ats best. We're not in the Caribbean here so a cruise in this part of Europe with the weather we had end September, is great.

In short, big ship, beautiful ship, lots to do and see. Elevators and Windjammer have a hard time coping with the crowd, but for the rest, big wow.

I took about 800 pictures, enough to build a model. But honestly, I seriously doubt this RC-model would be stable on the water. I can build it for sure, it would be a major challenge. I could hardly wait to get started, but this model would need a serious keel to keep it stable. I am not sure if I would ever be able to obtain the plans, if I do I will seriously consider to build this model which should be almost 3 meters long.

But what I do want to share with you is that fact that I visited the Oasis again! The destination Rotterdam is no coincidence, she is in a drydock there now. Thanks to Cruise connection and Royal Caribbean I was invited to come see the ship in drydock which is... wonderful.

This picuture does not even give you an idea of the grandeur of this ship standing there.

A lot of construction going on, many people everywhere. They installed a new engine, the propellors are removed now. The interiour also gets a full reconstruction. The Japanese restaurant from the Windjammer is relocated (excellent idea) so the windjammer has more space. The suite lounge is rebuilt to actual suites, the Viking crown is being rebuilt to a restaurant and a consierge area.

We had lunch on board and I had the great honors of sitting next to the captain! I had to hold myself back not to ask him a thousand technical questions, but it was a great experience, and a great recognition of the models I have built.

So will there be an RC model Oasis of the Seas?, I do not know yet but I'll post it here if I do.

Best regards

John

Thanks for taking us inside the dry dock John!

Thank you for posting the drydock pictures! That must have been an amazing experience! I am so happy for you that you had a chance to go aboard and sit with the captain.

I am selfishly hoping you will decide to go for it and do a model of the Oasis. I really enjoyed following your progress on the Voyager and I know I would enjoy following your Oasis build as well. If you do build an Oasis model, would you please post a link here if you start a new thread for it? I would love to follow your progress right from the start.

I'm sure an Oasis build would be a huge task for you, so I would totally understand if you decide not to do it. I would still be completely in awe of you and the models you have already built. As for getting the plans for Oasis, you never know until you ask.

John, I'm very happy that Royal Caribbean has recognized you for your fine model work of several of their ships, and allowed you to visit the Oasis, while in dry dock.

I know that this gives you a better perspective of the challenges that would lay ahead, should you decide to do a working model of an Oasis class ship.

I, for one stand in awe of your unique ability to capture so much on your Voyager model, and will continue to follow your thread.

Thanks for sharing some wonderful pictures of the Oasis in dry dock.

Rick

John,

I just found this thread the other day, and I found it fascinating. The Voyager was one of our favorite cruises when it sailed from New Orleans.

Do you calculate weights and displacement as you are building your models, or do you use the lead plates and possibly foam to have the final model sit at the right level? Have you ever figured how many hours it takes you to create one of these?

If you do the Oasis, I will be following along. Great work.

Thank you all for the kind words.

I have sent a request to get the plans of the ship yesterday. This will detemine if I will be building the ship. But if it would be too difficult to make it radio controlled, I might consider building a static model, it would look nice in my office.

I will see what happens next. But if I do, I promise to make a new thread here where you can follow the build from day one, but you'll have to be patient, the Voyager took me 5 years, but in this case I will not be rebuilding appartments taking 2 years and I will buy a small CNC milling machine that will make things look perfect and will save me a lot of time.

I will announce it here of course when "newbuild Nbr 31 little Oasis of the Seas" will start.

IMG_5497_zps6385b83b.jpg

But first I will finish my 1/10 flybridge yacht. will be done by the summer. It is a really big model. A small child would be able to ride on the model, but that will never happen of course. But I wanted to make something that can take some wind and where weight does not matter at all. I think this worked out nicely.

John

Edited by modelbuilder

I just spent way too much of my morning at work reading this thread. You have a truly incredible talent, and i can't wait to see what you build next. Hopefully RCCL will allow you to "borrow" a copy of Oasis' plans so we can all see you work your magic again.