Newbuild Nbr 29 "little" Voyager of the seas

But I need you help /opinion. Looking at pictures from the Voyager over different years and other Eagle class ships, the decks have colors from beige to grey or light brown to taupe color. I painted the deck above the bridge a bit darker to see what looks better. The front deck is lighter. What looks better?

I like the light color better ! Again your work is awesome !!

• 4 weeks later...

Some news from the model shipyard again;

As it is too hot to be outside, I have spent some time in my model shipyard where it is always nice and cool. Immagine some classical music or light jazz, a large cup of coffee, and my phone switched off. Besides being on a real cruise ship, those are my favorite moments.

I have completed the rough works on the front halve of the model. That means only details are to be added. The radar mast is just a bald structure now 2mm up becasue the paint is not dry yet. This mast I can remove becasue after she's finished she'll dissapear in a flightcase I've got yet to make. So later on at this mast I will add radars, horns, lights,...

SAM_0818_zps71cc0015.jpg

I have about 28 stairs etched, and spraypainted waiting to be added.

SAM_0819_zpsa2021979.jpg

About 8 meters of railing, etched to perfection and spraypainted will also be added later on. A few hunded deckchairs are primered but not painted yet.

SAM_0820_zps910d906c.jpg

Now I will move to the rear part of the model, Johnny Rockets... kids pool at rear and the little lighthouse come next and another deck up with the golfcourse and basket ball court and than the final structure; the Viking crown lounge. Not as easy as it looks, and must be extremly lightweight.

More pics to follow when I'l there.

Jan

:eek:

Absolutely amazing. Truly a statement of the craftsmanship you possess.

And the fact that you just do this as a hobby makes it that much better. I expect a product like this to come from someone who does this for a living.

You truly have have one special talent. Keep it up.

:D

• 1 month later...

One more update from the model shipyard.

The rear deck that has the Johnny Rockets and Adventure ocean is ready at this time. Ready means all detailing has jet to follow, but I cantinue now to the sportsdeck. Johny Rockets burger restaurant and the kid's pool and slide are installed. Now I am sorry there is no flow rider on the Voyager. I'd like to have that on it, but the real Voyager does not have this. The Viking crown lounge is also in construction. You cannot see it on this picture but the "floor" of the Viking crown or what you see when you look at the Viking Crown from the pools,has a certain shape (not just flat) and I built that too, and some detailing there yet is still under constuction, and is not as easy as I tought it would be.

I am still doubting to install the fibre optic light in the viking Crown as I fear stability. Everythingmust be as light as possible.

IMG_4186_zpsc72fda35.jpg

IMG_4187_zps3870d0fa.jpg

Next post will be when the Viking crown and sportsdeck is finished. It is not a modellers forum so I will not post some boring details about that.

Regards from sunny Belgium,

Jan

Edited by modelbuilder

• 2 weeks later...

As first glimpse this looks like a space ship of Star trek or so, but it is in fact the roof of the Viking crown. Disregard the color, it is a primer coating that needs some serious sanding and final white paint.

SAM_1081_zps9034201a.jpg

It heavier than I tought it would be :mad: and yet the windows and the smoke stack are not even on there.

But it is beginning to become very recognizeable.

SAM_1084_zps028792be.jpg

SAM_1088_zps2f268232.jpg

Jan

• 4 weeks later...

Back from the model shipyard.

About the weight. The Enchantment of the seas was weighing fully dressed (incl batteries) some 40Kg (80 pounds). This model is 10 inches longer and has a lead keel, + 2 more batteries. This one will be well over 100 pounds I guess.

But it has to be heavy otherwise the hull will not be lowered to its waterline. Stability is issue nbr 2

The viking crown is amlost done. It is not attached to the model yet.

SAM_1124_zps3775bde8.jpg

but the wooden sighn with its name is already in place. I had to put the railing there already, otherwide it is harder to reach when the Viking crown is on top. the line you see going starboard to port. This is becasue the model can be taken apart into 2 pieces I would not be able to put it into my car otherwise. The model is fully radio controlled so I'd like to take it to the lake some times.

SAM_1127_zps1a9b5875.jpg

The rockclimbing wall is not available in any store, go figure.

Weight issues on the top level of the model... I bought some light weight clay but it was still too heavy, so I modelled the wall from clay and with hot plastic and vacuum, I got a perfect copy in 0.5mm thin plastic weighting almost nothing. The top part of the wall still needs some of the grey paint.

SAM_1131_zps6969bf06.jpg

The "cape' you see at the rear of the VC is to be bent downwards which I will do after it is installed. Again aftrerwards all the details will come, I even made tiny intercom spreakers. The smokestack is not ready yet, the exhaust pipes made from aluminum are ready waiting to be installed.

the golf course hut is next, and then the rough works are done in about a month.

John

About the weight. The Enchantment of the seas was weighing fully dressed (incl batteries) some 40Kg (80 pounds). This model is 10 inches longer and has a lead keel, + 2 more batteries. This one will be well over 100 pounds I guess.

But it has to be heavy otherwise the hull will not be lowered to its waterline. Stability is issue nbr 2

The viking crown is amlost done. It is not attached to the model yet.

SAM_1124_zps3775bde8.jpg

but the wooden sighn with its name is already in place. I had to put the railing there already, otherwide it is harder to reach when the Viking crown is on top. the line you see going starboard to port. This is becasue the model can be taken apart into 2 pieces I would not be able to put it into my car otherwise. The model is fully radio controlled so I'd like to take it to the lake some times.

SAM_1127_zps1a9b5875.jpg

The rockclimbing wall is not available in any store, go figure.

Weight issues on the top level of the model... I bought some light weight clay but it was still too heavy, so I modelled the wall from clay and with hot plastic and vacuum, I got a perfect copy in 0.5mm thin plastic weighting almost nothing. The top part of the wall still needs some of the grey paint.

SAM_1131_zps6969bf06.jpg

The "cape' you see at the rear of the VC is to be bent downwards which I will do after it is installed. Again aftrerwards all the details will come, I even made tiny intercom spreakers. The smokestack is not ready yet, the exhaust pipes made from aluminum are ready waiting to be installed.

the golf course hut is next, and then the rough works are done in about a month.

John

WOW!!! RCCL should have a WOW Award for you. Your models are simply, amazing!

But it has to be heavy otherwise the hull will not be lowered to its waterline. Stability is issue nbr 2......John

You might have to add a real ice rink on deck 3 to increase the weight down low.;)

Seriously, just a beautiful model!

You might have to add a real ice rink on deck 3 to increase the weight down low.;)

Seriously, just a beautiful model!

Bob, love your sense of humor!!

like you, I have long subscribed to this thread, as John has a talent for building a beautiful product.........that runs!

I'm always amazed at the models of the ships that can be found on all of Royal Caribbean ships, but this one has special meaning, as I have watched it from the beginning, and looking at pictures of it underway, and hearing of the issues that John has faced as he continues to top out the Voyager.

Rick

Thanks everybody.

The model will be finished about at the years end. I am kind of in a hurry now because at the end of this month, the port of Belgium (Zeebrugge) will be visited by the Independance of the seas. I have already been on it but I managed to get a pass from the Zeebrugge port authority and drive on the oposite RORO terminal to take a picture from the Independance and my little Voyager in the foreground. I've done that once with the Enchantment of the Seas, cool sight! So the golf hut must be ready so at least the contours are visible. I know the Independance is longer and has the jacuzzi's on the side, but hey, will look nice and we do not have Eagle class ships in our port so often. I secretly hope it draws attention, I'd love to get a captains signature on the model but I'll keep on dreaming.

IM000316_zps2f2a3d23.jpg

About the models on board, most are rather small and are a nice touch to see. I "scan"every ship I go onto to look for models, but our friend Yenom will have the crown of models on his Grandeur cruise. On board there is a model of the Grandeur almost 3 meters in length. I have been staring at it for hours in a row it is so impressive. One of the most beautiful model cruise ships I have ever seen. I'd like to see that again one day. Here she is. It has been about 15 years so the quality is not that good

IM000314_zpsdc2c4a09.jpg

IM000249_zps225ea360.jpg

I do not have any grey hair yet....

During my cruises, before dinner, I usually shower first, then my wife can take all the time she wants and has the cabin to herself. I order a drink and sit near the models and just look at them. One way to never mind to wait, and my wife knows where to find me.

Edited by modelbuilder