Christmas Decorations ????

BruceMuzz

:D

How long do you suppose until cruise line advises them the cost of the damage?

I suspect that the cruise line has added the charges to the card they used for their onboard accounts ( and if they don't have that high a credit limit, be prepared for overage charges, and the ensuing monthly interest, as few could pay it all at once). And interest will keep accruing while they dispute...I suspect they may also send them a letter notifying them of the charges...But we might not hear anything until after they get their monthly bill...EM

While I hope the passengers involved didn't mean to do harm, but the result is the same. Something they intentionally did caused permenent damage to their cabins resulting in repairs being required. They have to bear the consequences of their actions.

I agree that the passengers are responsible for the damage they caused. I don't however feel comfortable assigning character flaws (self centered, irresponsible, clueless, thoughtless etc.) to people I have never met and know nothing about.

I don't care whether they INTENTIONALLY did it or not. Who in the heck would put something with ADHESIVE on the walls of ANY PLACE they do not own??? Hotel, cruise ship cabin, B & B, ski lodge, rental property.

Have you never signed a rental agreement for an apt or house? I know with our own rental property, it VERY SPECIFICALLY states NO NAILS, NO ADHESIVE BACKED DECORATIONS APPLIED TO WALLS OR CUPBOARDS, NO PERMANENT MURALS, NO PAINTING at all without landlord approval. Not even worrying about dye fading through the adhesive. Just don't want to spend hours patching holes or using heavy solvents to get adhesive off of anything. (Although toothpaste for nail holes in college worked well in the Sorority house and college dorms-LOL)

You want to use those new thingys that are removable, fine. But who needs to decorate their cabin with anything more than something personal?? A few Xmas cards, maybe some LED lights hung from a couple of coat hangers, a small nativity for the desk, a menorah with flameless candles. Anything else, FORGET IT. NO wonder people say their luggage weighs so much and they can't take their formal clothes. Filled up with CRAP!!!

The ships are BEAUTIFULLY decorated during the holidays. Isn't that enough???

I'm with SEA42. I can totally see myself putting something cheerful on the wall not realizing the damage that could be done. I have never intentionally done things to damage property that is not my own. I never let my daughter be a destructive menace. Nor did she jump on the hotel beds or couches when we traveled (this is a huge pet peeve), and she as a result is very respectful of other's property. I would hope this was just an accident due to a manufacturing flaw, not total disregard of the damage being done to the walls.

They purchased the decorations at Walmart.

There are all sorts of designs; letters of the alphabet, flowers, wreaths, santas, snowmen.

There is an adhesive attached to the back. Just peel off the plastic covering and slap them up on the wall. It is only when you peel them off that you notice that the dye from the adhesive remains behind.

I'm afraid that we are going to find many more this week. Some of our passengers are going to have some very expensive Christmas cruise memories.

Bruce, I'm not sure which ship you're on, but I have a feeling that people are always asking how they can decorate the cabin doors and so they figured why not the walls too. I can't believe that anyone who knew the adhesive would leave a mark would do that. Unfortunately, I bet you see this on more than just your ship this week. How very sad.

I have never understood decorating doors, or inside of stateroom with anything personal.

I am a guest on a beautiful cruise ship or on a land vacation at a hotel or resort. It is fine to have maybe fresh flowers in your room but that is it.

I really don't understand the need. I think it would be like re arranging the furniture. :confused:

Bruce Muzz.....

Had the guest come to you and explained what had happened, was clearly disturbed they had done this damage, would it change your view of the situation? I am 'assuming' they simply packed and left without speaking with anyone about the damage they did.

Edited by sail7seas

I don't care whether they INTENTIONALLY did it or not. Who in the heck would put something with ADHESIVE on the walls of ANY PLACE they do not own??? Hotel, cruise ship cabin, B & B, ski lodge, rental property.

Have you never signed a rental agreement for an apt or house? I know with our own rental property, it VERY SPECIFICALLY states NO NAILS, NO ADHESIVE BACKED DECORATIONS APPLIED TO WALLS OR CUPBOARDS, NO PERMANENT MURALS, NO PAINTING at all without landlord approval. Not even worrying about dye fading through the adhesive. Just don't want to spend hours patching holes or using heavy solvents to get adhesive off of anything. (Although toothpaste for nail holes in college worked well in the Sorority house and college dorms-LOL)

You want to use those new thingys that are removable, fine. But who needs to decorate their cabin with anything more than something personal?? A few Xmas cards, maybe some LED lights hung from a couple of coat hangers, a small nativity for the desk, a menorah with flameless candles. Anything else, FORGET IT. NO wonder people say their luggage weighs so much and they can't take their formal clothes. Filled up with CRAP!!!

The ships are BEAUTIFULLY decorated during the holidays. Isn't that enough???

Always good to know that you are OK!

Thanks to Bruce's post I was able to head off a family member from using either the same or a similar product. The items were on severe markdown and at that point really cheap to buy, but obviously not to use.

I'm taking a break and enjoying some quiet time before I attack the dishes.

Bruce Muzz.....

Had the guest come to you and explained what had happened, was clearly disturbed they had done this damage, would it change your view of the situation? I am 'assuming' they simply packed and left without speaking with anyone about the damage they did.

Judy, it might be possible that some passengers left the ship without taking the decorations down and it wasn't discovered until the cabins were cleaned.

I have never understood decorating doors, or inside of stateroom with anything personal.

I am a guest on a beautiful cruise ship or on a land vacation at a hotel or resort. It is fine to have maybe fresh flowers in your room but that is it.

I really don't understand the need. I think it would be like re arranging the furniture. :confused:

I agree with you

I have enough stuff to pack without worrying about decorations for the cabin ;)

Judy, it might be possible that some passengers left the ship without taking the decorations down and it wasn't discovered until the cabins were cleaned.

If that was the case, I think that makes it even worse. They put their things all over the walls and didn't even clean up behind themselves before they left. To have left it on the walls for steward to take care of is even more ' all about me' . IMO

Bruce Muzz.....

The pax in question were very apologetic and admitted that they were not thinking very clearly when they plastered these things all over their cabins.

The replacement wall panels will arrive in 3 to 6 months.

That means that all the passengers booked into those cabins with large orange stains all over the walls, and large orange HO HO HO across one wall will just have to put up with this nonsense for the next 3 to 6 months.

Do you think they will demand refunds on their cruises, for the inconvenience of the ugly stains?

You can bet on it.

Shall we give those refunds and then charge those to the culprits as well?

Or we can give the refunds and increase the price of your next cruise to pay for it?

Edited by BruceMuzz

Thanks for the response.

It is reasonable and appropriate they pay for the replacement panels.

What you (whoever) decides to do for complaining future guests becomes the responsibility of the cruise line IMO

Those charges all ultimately are calculated when determining the fares we are charged.

It is somewhat encouraging to hear they were apologetic.

This just happened to my SIL. She bought Gel-type stickers and put them on her white walls at home.:eek:

She was able to get the red off but there is still a 'shadow' on the wall.

The lesson here is 'test drive' all decorations at home first.

All bought at Wal Mart and made in China?

The ones in my family were bought at WalMart and also on severe discount at dollar stores. The folks who had no opened their returned them but the packages that were opened and the items displayed have not yet been returned (or making an issue of the staining).

One clever woman made a paste of Oxyclean that did a fair job of stain removal on white walls.

I don't get why people need to decorate their cabin doors at Christmas or any other time. (I've sailed on Cunard where it's not done.) To feel that one "belongs" somewhere on a huge ship? To gain admiration from strangers?

A couple of religious items would be understandable since the ship decor is secular, but there's enough to pack without adding this to the stress list. And as the earlier posts here indicate, residue from cheap decorations can have expensive consequences.

This just happened to my SIL. She bought Gel-type stickers and put them on her white walls at home.:eek:

She was able to get the red off but there is still a 'shadow' on the wall.

The lesson here is 'test drive' all decorations at home first.

I think the lesson is "consider the source". When buying cheap stuff at Walmart or a dollar store, what would be realisitic to expect? It's made in places with little or no regulations and sold in this country by those with similarly minimal standards in this regard, so caveat emptor.

I think the lesson is "consider the source". When buying cheap stuff at Walmart or a dollar store, what would be realisitic to expect? It's made in places with little or no regulations and sold in this country by those with similarly minimal standards in this regard, so caveat emptor.

Just discussing not fighting or anything, and in a way agreeing.

At the 99c stores in the LA area they have built their business on getting overruns, ugly box prints (fades or off colors), test items and the cheap stuff from 'those countries'. The first three categories are great and the other items defiitely do need to be watched out for. Nowhere else in my area could I get a bag of excellent Key Limes for 99c.

I have purchased these gel sticker decorations from Linen's n Things and other stores and haven't had a problem with them. I do stick them on mirrors and glass, not other surfaces.

They purchased the decorations at Walmart.

There are all sorts of designs; letters of the alphabet, flowers, wreaths, santas, snowmen.

There is an adhesive attached to the back. Just peel off the plastic covering and slap them up on the wall. It is only when you peel them off that you notice that the dye from the adhesive remains behind.

I'm afraid that we are going to find many more this week. Some of our passengers are going to have some very expensive Christmas cruise memories.

On the Emerald, our next door neighbors had plastic rubbery letters spelling out MERRY CHRISTMAS on their door. On the last day after they took them off, the cabin steward spent 1/2 hr trying to remove the red residue from Ms and Rs. He was not able to remove it as it was still there when we left the ship. I did not realize that they would be charged for the damages :(.