Vatican Guided Tours

Desertbelle

I would love any suggestions in regards to choosing a guide for the Vatican. We have been to the Vatican once before, but it was without a guide and it was a whirlwind visit...I left feeling like I didn't even get a hint of what was there. This time I want an excellent guide who will spend a few hours with us and walk us through all of it and give us something I will walk away from feeling, finally, like I have actually experienced the Vatican.

We did a tour through Viator http://www.viator.com/Rome-attractions/Vatican-tours-tickets/d511-a115

It was perfect for us. The group was small, only 8 people. The guide was wonderful, very knowledgeable, answered questions and spoke clearly (as opposed to some tours who give you a receiver with an earpiece and the guide just talks and talks).

We have used Viator in many cities and have not been disappointed yet.

Go the official Vatican website and under Tours there are several Guided Tours run by the Vatican people themselves . The group size is around 20 and you are all given audio hearing devices .

IIRC amongst a range of Guided Tours you can book on-line Vatican Gardens & Vatican Museum, Vatican Museums & St.Peters . (The Vatican Gardens can only be accessed as part of this guided tour.) You book on line for a set time on a set date (bookings open 90 days in advance) . You turn up with your pre-paid voucher bypassing the queues, collect your tickets at the cashier. the Group then meets in the Foyer of the Vatican Museum at a set time, and off you go . Simple as that .

• 2 weeks later...

http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do?action=booking

this is the "HOLY SEE" aka Vatican's official site to order tickets. we followed the link 'group tours for individuals'> pick your date & time,, they provide a guide for you. we were there in July, and our tour had about 12 people,, she was a wonderful guide and was well worth the money.

Go the official Vatican website and under Tours there are several Guided Tours run by the Vatican people themselves . The group size is around 20 and you are all given audio hearing devices .

IIRC amongst a range of Guided Tours you can book on-line Vatican Gardens & Vatican Museum, Vatican Museums & St.Peters . (The Vatican Gardens can only be accessed as part of this guided tour.) You book on line for a set time on a set date (bookings open 90 days in advance) . You turn up with your pre-paid voucher bypassing the queues, collect your tickets at the cashier. the Group then meets in the Foyer of the Vatican Museum at a set time, and off you go . Simple as that .

Those audio hearing devices never works :( Just buy a book and go on your own

It is unfair to say these audio devices NEVER work. On our Tour the devices were handed out and a test transmission was made before we set off. Of a group of 20 one person had a problem, and that was rectified by changing to the correct channel . If the devices never worked or gave lots of problems they would not be handed out at all .

The Vatican is one of those places where I think you really do need a guide. We do 95% of ports on our own but were glad we used a guide for the Vatican, it is just too big and overwhelming. We used Angel Tours, it was great, 8 people and a VERY enthusiastic guide, he was the best.

We have a different problem. We are booking the Vatican Gardents tour. It includes admission to the museums, however my granddaughter only wants to see a few things: the Egyptian and Religious museums and the Sistine Chapel. What does one do if they want a guide just for that? Is it possible?

We have a different problem. We are booking the Vatican Gardents tour. It includes admission to the museums, however my granddaughter only wants to see a few things: the Egyptian and Religious museums and the Sistine Chapel. What does one do if they want a guide just for that? Is it possible?

I'm afraid that if you want something that specific you're going to have to pay for a private guide.

We chose Angel Tours last October and would absolutely recommend the company. I reviewed the day here. Lindy, our guide, was full of information not only about the art but the history of the Vatican and provided a running narrative that kept our attention rapt until the end.

One of my favorite moments was when we entered the Basilica. We were told that there was a mass being held and that we would not have full access to all areas. This was not a problem as nearly all was open, however when we approached the front of the Basilica the choir began to sing. Ethereal and simply beautiful... a moment that brought tears to my eyes and one that I will never forget.

Enjoy your trip!

Ask Rome in Limo for Sarah. She is excellant. Have seen strong recommendations for a couple of other people, but we asked for Sarah based on what we read here, and were very happy.

We were on an excursion in Rome through Romeinlimos and used one of their guides Sarah who was fantastic in her knowledge and enthusiasm. I don't know if you can book just a guide through them but if you can, they have my vote.

Does anyone know Sara/Sarah's last name? I've seen her mentioned several times, and just wanted to suggest that many guides in Rome (as elsewhere) freelance for several different agencies and sometimes you can even arrange something with them directly. If not a last name, any idea whether she might be one of the Sarahs referenced in the listings below (photos included, so should be an easy identification):

http://www.contexttravel.com/tour-guides/rome

http://www.prestotours.com/about-us.php

We also used Rome In Limo and had Sarah as our guide...guide extraordinaire. It is amazing how much knowledge she has and we learned so much about the Vatican and its history. The big plus is she knows how to negotiate the crowds and lines.

Carol

Does anyone know Sara/Sarah's last name? I've seen her mentioned several times, and just wanted to suggest that many guides in Rome (as elsewhere) freelance for several different agencies and sometimes you can even arrange something with them directly. If not a last name, any idea whether she might be one of the Sarahs referenced in the listings below (photos included, so should be an easy identification):

I did not recognize any of the "Sarahs" on either website as the Sarah we had with Romeinlimo.

I can check at home but I don't have a picture of her here nor do we know her last name. I did find an unflattering picture of her (sorry Sarah) on another vacation review website. Looks like she curled her hair, it was straight when we saw here. :)

sara-telling-us-about.jpg

Ask Rome in Limo for Sarah. She is excellant. Have seen strong recommendations for a couple of other people, but we asked for Sarah based on what we read here, and were very happy.

I agree! We've had Sarah also with Romeinlimo and loved her. This Sarah only works for Romeinlimo.

I find the negotiating the crowds almost the most helpful of all. I like that she listed to what we were really interested in seeing and lead us around effortlessly. It was a very nice experience. For anyone that has experienced the chaos of the Vatican museum... having this type of guide makes all the difference in the world AND makes it such a great experience.

We've booked with Through Eternity as they were recommended on CC. We booked an early entrance tour with them so our tour in the Sistine Chapel starts at 7:30am before they are officially open. It's pricy but worth it to us as I have a VERY claustrophobic mom who would be miserable in the crowds.

We've booked with Through Eternity as they were recommended on CC. We booked an early entrance tour with them so our tour in the Sistine Chapel starts at 7:30am before they are officially open. It's pricy but worth it to us as I have a VERY claustrophobic mom who would be miserable in the crowds.

Just a note that the Vatican doesn't open til 8. You probably already know that but you'll be in line from 7:30-8 : )

Try contacting Ian @ Romeingtours.com. He does private tours. We only had the four of us when we toured. He got us thru the tour group exit from the sistine chapel to get into the basilica too which saved a lot of time.

Archived