Curious -- Baltic Cruise question

EGCruisers

We are thinking of a Baltic cruise in May. Both Celebrity's and HAL's sailings for May 20/21 are starting to sell out and are among the most expensive sailings for that itinerary (HAL only does that exact itinerary once, but Celebrity does the same one all summer). Does anyone have an idea why those sailings would be so popular? Is there a holiday or attraction in one of the ports that falls during that sailing? Just wondering why those sailings would be more attractive than others.

We are thinking of a Baltic cruise in May. Both Celebrity's and HAL's sailings for May 20/21 are starting to sell out and are among the most expensive sailings for that itinerary (HAL only does that exact itinerary once, but Celebrity does the same one all summer). Does anyone have an idea why those sailings would be so popular? Is there a holiday or attraction in one of the ports that falls during that sailing? Just wondering why those sailings would be more attractive than others.

The fact that HAL only does the specific itinerary once is the reason it is selliing out quickly. Baltic cruises are very popular and a wonderful experience. I'm not sure about the reason for Celebrity. In May, things should be less crowded. If you are looking at the 24 day, Edinburgh and ports such as this will be a lot less busy than in the summer months

In my case I wanted to be there before the crowds that occur once school is out, not necessarily the children but mainly the crowds. Also since we expect a lot of walking on the excursions we want to avoid the summer heat. We did a Med cruise last year at this time and the weather was perfect so we're hoping for a repeat.

My husband, sister and I did this itinerary on HAL this past June and had a great time, however, not only was it (almost) unbearably hot, it was very crowded. There were 10 cruise ships in St. Petersburg while we were there. Needless to say we ran into huge crowds everywhere we went while sweltering in record-breaking heat. I'd suggest going early in the season if you can but it will still be enjoyable whenever you book.

WE have found everything in North Europe is booking up and we were told it is because of the Olympics in London. I know we found air tickets to be much higher than we usually pay. This may be a factor. We were orig booked on the HAL Bsltic cruise, but canceled when we could not find any reasonable air fare and the HAL fares were just as high.

George and Louise in Sun City Huntley Illinois

WE have found everything in North Europe is booking up and we were told it is because of the Olympics in London. I know we found air tickets to be much higher than we usually pay. This may be a factor. We were orig booked on the HAL Bsltic cruise, but canceled when we could not find any reasonable air fare and the HAL fares were just as high.

I believe the Olympics are having an effect, and not just in cost of airfare.

We are booked on a Baltic cruise in June/12, a month before the Olympics, and were debating whether to spend the pre-cruise night in London or Dover. I asked on CC about pricing for HAL's pre-cruise hotel in London and was told that it was around US$200/person/night in 2011.

HAL's 2012 pricing finally came out in early December and it was US$650/person/night!!

We have booked a hotel in Dover which includes breakfast, and will be taking a private transfer to Dover that will cost us about 250 pounds in total!

Now, the Dover hotel will not be at the same luxurious standards as the HAL recommended hotel in London but it is a well known chain hotel so should be at the same standards that we have encountered in Canada, US and Germany.

As for our airfare, we were lucky to be able to book our flights on points last July.

I'm sorry that you had to cancel your cruise.

I believe the Olympics are having an effect, and not just in cost of airfare.

We are booked on a Baltic cruise in June/12, a month before the Olympics, and were debating whether to spend the pre-cruise night in London or Dover. I asked on CC about pricing for HAL's pre-cruise hotel in London and was told that it was around US$200/person/night in 2011.

HAL's 2012 pricing finally came out in early December and it was US$650/person/night!!

We have booked a hotel in Dover which includes breakfast, and will be taking a private transfer to Dover that will cost us about 250 pounds in total!

Now, the Dover hotel will not be at the same luxurious standards as the HAL recommended hotel in London but it is a well known chain hotel so should be at the same standards that we have encountered in Canada, US and Germany.

As for our airfare, we were lucky to be able to book our flights on points last July.

I'm sorry that you had to cancel your cruise.

That is HAL's regular price for that hotel (we are going in 2013 and I called to inquire) BTW - it has a lot of bad reviews on tripadvisor so i don't think it is the be all to end all. You are probably far better off with your own booking. We normally book our own and have found we get better accomodation for less money or just pay a lot less money:D

That is HAL's regular price for that hotel (we are going in 2013 and I called to inquire) BTW - it has a lot of bad reviews on tripadvisor so i don't think it is the be all to end all. You are probably far better off with your own booking. We normally book our own and have found we get better accomodation for less money or just pay a lot less money:D

I think we're better off with our own booking, too. The difference in price will offset the cost of the private tour in St Petersburg for the two of us.

I'm sure that you were quoted the current rate when you called HAL, since it's likely too early for the 2013 rate - given that I was told we had to wait until six months prior to sailing to get our 2012 rate. It may be that the rates will go down for 2013 (or once they realize that not many people will pay $650/person/night for a room, transfers, and nothing else!). See this thread where the 2011 rate was $200/person/night - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1508218

It may even be less expensive to book directly with the Grosvenor on your own and then you can still take the HAL transfer, if you want to.

You might want to consider the Prinsendam, as she is able to sail the Kiel Canal. That was an unforgetable experience. The Baltics were at the bottom of our bucket list....and now, I want to repeat it!! All of the ports are fabulous!

We did the Baltic cruise on the Westerdam in July 2005. St. Petersburg was extremely hot. (And while docked in St. Petersburg we couldn't use our balcony because of gigantic mosquitoes:eek:.) The rest of the ports were very pleasant. The Baltic was as smooth as glass and we really enjoyed that cruise.

You might want to consider the Prinsendam, as she is able to sail the Kiel Canal. That was an unforgetable experience. The Baltics were at the bottom of our bucket list....and now, I want to repeat it!! All of the ports are fabulous!

I absolutely agree, if you can hold off and do the Baltic cruise on the Prinsendam, do so!!!! Cruising the Kiel Canal is a memory that is absolutely one of my best cruising experiences, it is definitely something to have on a bucket list!!

Archived