Worried about Blu Menus

City_Woman

Hubby and I have learned to enjoy and embrace the MDR menus and make them our own.

We have booked AQ for the first time and I am worried about the Blu menus. From what I can see the menus move from "meat and potatoes" style to fine dining - not really our style.

Will Blu really be flexible enough to get us the meals we want if the daily menu just isn't to our liking. I have to order special meals the night before anyhow since I have a dietary need that needs catering to.

We thought we'd try Blu at the urging of Chef Pier Paolo and our vacation planner - now we're not really sure.

Thoughts?

Judy

(I'm already looking at upgrading to a suite because I'm so nervous!)

Hubby and I have learned to enjoy and embrace the MDR menus and make them our own.

We have booked AQ for the first time and I am worried about the Blu menus. From what I can see the menus move from "meat and potatoes" style to fine dining - not really our style.

Will Blu really be flexible enough to get us the meals we want if the daily menu just isn't to our liking. I have to order special meals the night before anyhow since I have a dietary need that needs catering to.

We thought we'd try Blu at the urging of Chef Pier Paolo and our vacation planner - now we're not really sure.

Thoughts?

Judy

I think you will be able to find something. On our recent solstice sailing I had "meat and potatoes" type meals 3 nights. A filet mignon, a New York Strip (I think), and braised short ribs. They also always have a steak on the menu. The other nights we ate in the specialty restaurants and the other night in Blu I had a pasta dish that was very good.

I'm not sure if they would get you meals from the MDR menu, however if you have dietary issues I'm sure they would work with you to your satisfaction. They seemed to be very accommodating. I've also heard you can eat in the MDR if there is room in select, however others can probably advise better.

It's my understanding that, if you don't like what's on the BLU menu, you can ask for what's on the MDR menu and they will serve it to you in BLU.

AquaClass guests may dine in the MDR on a space-available basis [make arrangements in advance through the Blu or MDR Maitre 'D] but Blu does not offer a full selection from either menu... Both menus are available for preview outside their respective venues early in the day...

Blu does offer three dinner entrees--a steak, chicken, and salmon--that are available nightly...

What you may have read is that on occasion/by advance request, it is sometimes possible for a guest to get an item from the MDR--escargot, a salad dressing, creme brulee come to mind as items I've seen--served in Blu that is not typically or always served there... Clearly, it's not a full dinner from the MDR and it's not a nightly thing...

Some love Blu [i'm among them]; some do not... Tastes in food are highly personalized/subjective...

Sailed the Eclipse earlier this month in Aqua Class and like you, we were a little hesitant about the menu.

Every night I had a fantastic meal and the service was wonderful as well. We tried things that we would never ordinarily have ordered and came away impressed every night.

Hope that helps,

Suzanne

We dined in Blu and with the exception of one small dish that I should have known better to order (raw fennel in a tangerine emulsion....I've always liked my fennel cooked opposed to raw so it's more my mistake for ordering it) everything was top notch! We booked all three specialties however should be book AQ for the next cruise, I can't say that we will pay extra to do that since the food in Blue was so great! Breakfasts were positively scrumptious! We had every intention to have breakfast on the balcony but we just couldn't do it because Blu was just so wonderful!

We dined with a group on the second formal evening and there was a table that had the French Onion soup at their table from the MDR. They were one of the groups that the Maître d' was getting grief from so the waitstaff may have been trying to appease them but they did have the soup.....I noticed because it's one of my favorites and I *know* it wasn't on the Blu menu.

We dined with a group on the second formal evening and there was a table that had the French Onion soup at their table from the MDR. They were one of the groups that the Maître d' was getting grief from so the waitstaff may have been trying to appease them but they did have the soup.....I noticed because it's one of my favorites and I *know* it wasn't on the Blu menu.

I asked one night if I could have French Onion soup and was told that although they do not have it on their menu, there is always some available for anyone who asks. I suspect it really came from Tuscan, not the MDR, as the one there is sooo salty and this was not.

We dined in Blu and with the exception of one small dish that I should have known better to order (raw fennel in a tangerine emulsion....I've always liked my fennel cooked opposed to raw so it's more my mistake for ordering it) everything was top notch! We booked all three specialties however should be book AQ for the next cruise, I can't say that we will pay extra to do that since the food in Blue was so great! Breakfasts were positively scrumptious! We had every intention to have breakfast on the balcony but we just couldn't do it because Blu was just so wonderful!

We were on the recent Solstice TA and Blu was the highlight of the cruise. Most meals were fantastic as was the staff. I totally agree with your assessment. My partner asked ahead of time for the French Onion soup early in the cruise and it was served to him without any fuss. After that, whenever he asked our waiter if he could have it that evening, it appeared promptly, just as if it was on the Blu menu (it wasn't). I have to say that while I didn't consume many potatoes in Blu, the beef was plentiful and top notch. One night there was a braised short ribs appetizer and prime rib with pecorino mac and cheese as a main course. We overheard one lady remark, "that's an awful lot of beef in one meal!"

I paid extra to be in C1 and eat in the MDR rather than Blu. When I was in AQ I found the Blu menu limited and boring. I could ALWAYS find 1 thing in each category that I was satisfied w/; but in the MDR there were always a couple of things that I really wanted in each category (so I did a B2B LOL). Not a fan of Blu desserts either.

We just got back last Saturday from the Silhouette. We wanted an accessible cabin for my elderly mother who uses a wheelchair. The only one available at the time of booking was in an Aqua cabin (1524).

The fare was a little steeper than what we would have normally booked, but, let me tell you---it was a fantastice experience, and we will always try for Aqua on any future Solstice class ship. Besides the other amenities that you receive in Aqua, the highlite is definitely dining in Blu.

We ate there every morning and evening of the cruise. We had lunch usually in the Ocean View buffet, or the Aqua Spa Cafe, or the Mast Grill.

I am a 'meat and potatoes' kind of guy, and I enjoyed the Blu dinners immensely. The filet mignon was superb. I was told that other than not being wrapped in bacon and dough the way Murano serves it, it was the same cut of beef. Much better than that served in the Grand Cuvee MDR. The excellent server we had (Bianca) told me I could have it anytime I wished if I told her the days before. So I enjoyed it five times on our cruise! They served it exactly the way I requested it with a baked potato and steamed veggies. They brought me my favorite appetizer shimp cocktail every night. They prepared a salad just the way I wanted it. It was like having my own cook and server--order whatever you want regardless of what the menu offered, and they were eager to accommodate you. I cannot dream of why anyone dining in Blu would want to spend $80. for a couple of dinners in a specialty restaurant.

I can't imagine those sailing on a luxury ship ala Seabourne and the like, could have it any better....

As for special diets....Mom needs low sodium, so each night she would seclect from the next days menu to be prepared for her without salt. No problem.

The only time I went into the MDR was for the special brunch, but it was so chaotic and noisy, we went up to the Ocean View which was relatively quiet for once....

To summarize, the Blu service is spectacular, the food is better, coming from its own galley. Special orders are accepted cheerfully, if you don't see what you like, just ask.

If you like meat and potatoes you should enjoy Blu more than the MDR. My wife is a meat and potatoes gal and loved Blu; she jokingly started referring to the MDR as "steerage" after experiencing Blu. There is just as many steak dishes available at Blu, but the cuts of meat are higher quality and the food is cooked to order at Blu versus pre plated in the MDR. Blu also is very good at accommodating reasonable special requests so long as you give them some notice (the night before is fine). Blu is certainly more gourmet than the MDR, but is not fine dining. Most likely you will be comfortable in Blu and find it to be a step up (as most do), but a small number of people dislike Blu and (if that is the case with you) you likely can arrange to have some (or all) dinners in the MDR (there almost always is space available).

We are on the Silhouette next week and have been in Aqua Class three times before. The food in Blu is definitely a notch above the MDR in every way.

And for the biggest secret of all, since Blu makes everything to order, give them a little notice and they will make you just about anything you want. They are very accomodating. My dw has food allergies but it is no problem for Blu.

Are limited to just one choice or can you order multiple orders like in the MDR?

Yes, you can ask for more.

While we did not ask for more than one entree during the 12/18 cruise, we did ask for 5 desserts one night...for two of us and they were brought with no issue at all. If your server sees you balking at ANY dish brought, they will likely ask if you would like a replacement. That did happen a number of times when an entree was just too much....well, too much if I was going to have dessert(s) :cool:

The comment above about MDR being steerage....AMEN!

As was said on another thread, Blu is the missing link on cruises for us.

We ate in the MDR on Christmas day for the brunch and it was entirely too cramped for us.

Loved BLU first time we tried it--all future booked cruises include AQ for BLU

Everything is personalized, plenty of meat & potatoes, lovely desserts, wonderful service...... for us it was a great experience compared to the MDR .

Although we sat at table for 2 there was always plenty of company around to chat with, if wanted.... and we were able to have the same wonderful wait staff & wine service each evening...

Based on our recent Silhouette cruise (Aqua Class) we think that Blu is not for everyone. DW and I are amateur gourmands and did enjoy many of the offerings in Blu. We found the appetizers to be innovative and usually very good. Entrees were generally good and usually better prepared and presented then the food we are accustomed to in the MDR. Desserts in Blu left a lot to be desired. There was one night (on our 12 day cruise) where we thought the menu in Blu was awful (so did several of our friends) so once we saw the menu (posted outside Blu) we decided to dine in the MDR. We asked the Blu maitre d to make arrangements for the MDR and he immediately called the maitre d down in the MDR. We had to report to the MDR at 8:30 (select dining was not an available option for Blu passengers) and see the maitre d who then assigned us to a table. As to ordering MDR dishes in Blu, we did order French Onion Soup and Cheesecake with no problem. When we told our waiter we wanted the French Onion Soup he said it would be a few minutes since he had to go downstairs (main galley) to get the dish.

Hank

Thoughts?

Judy

We are for the second time sailing on the Equinox Aqua Class. Have also sailed on the Solstice Aqua Class. I also have a weird and limited diet . The staff always brought me food that I could eat. I did request varied items and had no problem with them altering the menu to meet my needs. My husband is also fussy and doesn't eat a varied menu and he also had no problem. Blu is great- it is like eating in a private restaurant- no large crowds. This is the main reason we like the Aqua class. It is a wonderful perk! You can also have a limited breakfast menu at Blu each morning if you desire. Enjoy your cruise!

We are for the second time sailing on the Equinox Aqua Class. Have also sailed on the Solstice Aqua Class. I also have a weird and limited diet . The staff always brought me food that I could eat. I did request varied items and had no problem with them altering the menu to meet my needs. My husband is also fussy and doesn't eat a varied menu and he also had no problem. Blu is great- it is like eating in a private restaurant- no large crowds. This is the main reason we like the Aqua class. It is a wonderful perk! You can also have a limited breakfast menu at Blu each morning if you desire. Enjoy your cruise!

What is on the breakfast menu?

Thanks,

Judy

Thanks,

Judy

It is similar to the MDR, but with some nice extras. There are fruit smoothies and fresh squeezed juice at no extra cost. My favorite item is tableside museli; they roll a cart up to your table and you pick and choose the ingredients and then they mix it up right in front of you. I also enjoyed the Bluberry pancakes. I would not consider it to be a "limited" menu at all.

Thanks,

Judy

It is similar to the MDR, but with some nice extras. There are fruit smoothies and fresh squeezed juice at no extra cost. My favorite item is tableside museli; they roll a cart up to your table and you pick and choose the ingredients and then they mix it up right in front of you. I also enjoyed the Bluberry pancakes. I would not consider it to be a "limited" menu at all.

In addition to what Gonzo listed there is eggs made to your liking; omelets with your choice of add-ins wonderful french toast, a variety of side meats; salmon, bagels, cream cheese. And of course the pastry tray is brought around to the table several times during the meal.

If you book Aqua Class do not miss the breakfast. It is a great way to start your day.;)

We ate in Blue on our Equinox cruise. We loved it. It is like eating in a specialty restaurant every night. They are really accommodating to any and all special requests. We often ordered a baked potato and I am a vegetable lover so I ordered extra veggies. They would bring incredible mixes of fresh warm veggies. The only thing I was disappointed with was the rack of lamb--which was fatty and unpleasant. The breakfast was awesome.

Archived