What have you observed re: formal night on 5 day

TMC

We will be on a 5 day on Liberty over spring break. I am told there will be one formal night and I know RCCL's suggested attire. I have also read threads here debating what should be worn. I like to follow rules and will happily pack suits and ties for my DH and DS (10). I will, however, be "in the doghouse" if we show up in the suggested formal attire and find 75% of the people dressed more casual. DH will ask why he had to have a suit when many others do not!

For those who have been, what do most men and boys wear on formal night on the 5 day cruises?

Thank you,

TMC

Not our experience! The majority will attempt to follow the "dress code"....some won't. It's up to you. At least, wear a collared shirt and long pants...they will not refuse you entry into the dining room.

I agree with CB! The actuals on Formal Nights including 4 and five nights is that most participate and many families take advantage of this for studio type photographs that they other wise would not be doing. This is from my observations on actual 4 and 5 night cruises this year. :D

Well....how about a 4 night??? Many shirts and ties, some sport coats. Boys in khakis and button up shirts. One pair of jeans, at our table, and he was openly embarrassed about it and concerned the head waiter would say something. I'll let you know about a 5 night in about 2 weeks!

We sailed on a 5 day Liberty cruise earlier this month. The formal night was the second night of the cruise and most men wore suits or a tie and sport coat. I did see a few tuxedos but very few. Those attempting to follow the suggested attire outnumbered those that didn't by a large margin.

We sailed on a 5 day Liberty cruise earlier this month. The formal night was the second night of the cruise and most men wore suits or a tie and sport coat. I did see a few tuxedos but very few. Those attempting to follow the suggested attire outnumbered those that didn't by a large margin.

I'm glad to hear this is the case. I am really considering bringing my tuxedo on our 5 night cruise on the liberty. Mostly because it's rare that I get a chance to wear one and I enjoy dressing up (and of course the wife wants me to wear it) I just didn't want to be the entirely over dressed in a tuxedo. I'm still thinking about it, but I think I am leaning toward bringing it. :)

Which sailing are you on? We'll be on th 3-26-12 one. My husband and boys (16, 12 and 7) will all be wearing suits for formal night. They actually enjoyed dressing up on our 3-nighter and have decided formal night is a must-dine-in-MDR night.

We are on the April 9th.

Thanks for all the replies. I figured they would do dress pants, button shirt and tie at a minimum. Sounds like I will throw in a sports jacket for DH. I fear that our rapidly growing DS will not fit in his jacket - will have to decide about a new one. He really likes wearing a tie, so we are good there.

TMC

I have only had glancing notice of "wife beater t-shirts" shorts, jeans...etc. on short cruise

"formal nights". My full attention was on how gorgeous my DH was in his full tux.

He does know how to impress his lady....and I am a happy one at that. :D

To each their own.

Don't forget about the Tuxedo rental option too. Then you don't have to pack anything but shoes and socks for formal night. Actually you can pay extra and get shoes and socks too. The rate for the tux rental on the shorter cruisies is just $49.00.

What spring break are you referring to - high school or college? A few years ago we were on a 5 day Navigator cruise during college spring break. I was surprised at how much the college students really got into dressing up. It was obvious that many of the girls were recycling their prom dresses :D but they definitely had fun with it.

Christmas night was our formal night and DH wore dress shirt and dress pants, son the same and me in cocktail dress. We saw everything from tuxedos to jeans. Dress up if you like or don't. Not everyone dresses for dinner in the MDR and some dress up for the Windjammer. You will see everything that night.

I'm glad to hear this is the case. I am really considering bringing my tuxedo on our 5 night cruise on the liberty. Mostly because it's rare that I get a chance to wear one and I enjoy dressing up (and of course the wife wants me to wear it) I just didn't want to be the entirely over dressed in a tuxedo. I'm still thinking about it, but I think I am leaning toward bringing it. :)

If you enjoy dressing up, don't even hesitate. Wear the Tux! Not too many occasions to wear one these days. I hope my husband wears one this time. I'd love a formal picture.. go for it!:D

People who utterly dress down on formal night are a minority. Take the high road and dress up. It needn't be a tux or cocktail dress, just something that shows the effort to comply.

I honestly feel that aside from the tradition and the recommended dress codes etc, I myself would feel disrespectful to the hard-working waitstaff and to my fellow pax to show up in less than acceptable dress. I know that the term "acceptable" varies, especially on his board, but I think most of you get my idea.

teddie

My DH always brings his tux. We were on the Liberty in December, board the Allure on Tuesday and the Liberty in March so his tux will be worn three times this winter. All five night cruises.

He likes wearing his with a black shirt and black or a gold tie. On longer cruises he takes his pleated shirt and bow tie etc. as there are two or more formal nights.

Kathy:)

Our very first cruise we did the whole tux and gown and we hated every minute of it. We both dress everyday for work and it was just a downer. Since that first cruise we have stuck with long pants and polo shirt for him and a cotton sun dress for me. We have never felt out of place and were much more comfortable which is the whole point I think. Do we see people dressed in formal? Of course and they look wonderful! Do I think you have to to "fit in"? Nope! I am the "its my cruise" party but I do have class. I would never go out in public half naked or in pjs. You can look quite put together without the tux and ball gown :D

We were recently on the 5 day Jewel of the Seas cruise and saw a variety of dress on formal night. We were fortunate enough to sit at a table with a great group of people to visit with and we had an awesome evening.......I honestly couldn't tell you what everyone was wearing. DH and I dressed up because we wanted to. My advise would be to wear whatever makes you feel great about yourself - and enjoy the company at your table......be it family, old friends or new friends.

I just realized that the formal night (night 2) on my upcoming cruise is Valentines Day, when we're going to Chops anyways. Excellent...

Anywho, do what you want. The cruise is YOUR vacation. What everyone else is doing is not what you have to be doing...do what makes you happy.

Archived