Opinions Please! W Caribbean Ruins

BillsMafiaBabe

We will be sailing the Western Caribbean going to Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya and Cozumel...I'd like to go see ruins but I'm not sure which port would be the best to book that type of excursion, SOOOO I'm hoping some of the experts here can offer us some suggestions...Please :o

Thanks in Advance,

Sue

Well, you're certainly going to the right part of the world to see Mayan ruins, as there are tours available in all three of those ports. :cool:

Don't know about private tour operators, as we always do the ships' tours. Almost all of these excursions require some long drives into the rural countryside, and I don't want to risk having the tour bus break down -- and watching my ship sail away without me! :eek:

On two different trips, we've done the RC excursions to Lamanai (Belize) and Dzibanche & Kohunlich (Costa Maya). They were both great! If I can answer any specific questions, please ask. :D

We will be sailing the Western Caribbean going to Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya and Cozumel...I'd like to go see ruins but I'm not sure which port would be the best to book that type of excursion, SOOOO I'm hoping some of the experts here can offer us some suggestions...Please :o

Thanks in Advance,

Sue

In Belize, the ruins at Altun Ha are really good - well cared for, but open to exploration. We did a combined ship excursion that included the ruins, lunch an an eco boat ride down the river back to town. It was one of the best excursions we have had in theCaribbean.

If you can swing it, Tulum is singularly unique, It's the only ruins at the ocean. Otherwise, Lamanai in Belize would be our choice. The guide mentions that there are no hills there, it's a level marsh. You look around and see a LOT of hills.....they are all man-made structures.

Costa Maya - We did "The Mayan Experience" with David and Ivan (The Native Choice) to Chacchoben. It was an hour's ride to the ruins followed by lunch with a Mayan family in the modern-day village of Chacchoben. It was absolutely one of the best excursions I've done on a cruise. If you're concerned about time, they have a shorter tour that visits the ruins only - but the visit to the village is so worthwhile. It's been almost 5 years since we did it and my kids still talk about it.

I've been to Altun Ha via Belize City, and Chacchoben via Costa Maya. If you could only do one, I'd probably suggest Altun Ha, as several of the structures have been restored and are open to climbing. On the other hand, Chacchoben is a bit less restored, but you probably need a really good tour guide to explain what you're looking at.

Lamanai in Belize was one of our best ever excursions. You need to do the ship's excursion for this one, because it's pretty far from the port and it's an all-day trip. We saw crocodiles, howler monkeys and many birds. We also climbed a pyramid there.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. We will definitely be doing a ship excursion when we do it. I'll have to check to see if the Chichen itza is a option. Otherwise I think it'll either be Belize or Cozumel. :confused:

Thank you all, for all your help!

I did Lamanai from Belize City; Chacchoben from Costa Maya; and Tulum from Cozumel. Loved them all. The order that I listed them would be my order of preference. Lamanai has a real "Raiders of the Lost Ark" feel, and you can climb the structures. Chacchoben is also jungle-y, somewhat. Tulum is out in the open, with only a few trees for shade. The structures are smaller, and you can't climb them. But they're in a remarkable state of preservation, and the seaside views can't be beat. Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of them.

Be advised, Lamanai is an all-day excursion, and it includes about an hour's ride (each way) on a fairly small boat up the river. Chacchoben can be done in less than a full day. Tulum is definitely all-day; you will have time for nothing else in Cozumel. Also, the ferry from there to Playa del Carmen is famous for its seasickness-inducing roughness -- though when I rode it, it was pretty smooth, and I had no trouble whatsoever.

Rest easy, knowing that whatever you choose, you'll be in for an amazing experience. Have fun!

Archived