wouldn't you feel frustrated?

Ians Grandma

I am feeling a little frustrated because I have booked a cruise on the Statendam for two of my adult sons (one of which is disabled ) and me..but the Statedam doesn't have accessible cabins that will hold 3 people. So even though they have a promotion on the 3 and 4th passenger plus I will be a 4 star Mariner I can't take advantage of those discounts like everybody else onboard. Adding to that I must pay more for one person in the second cabin, I must pay for his laundry ( if he was in our cabin it would be free) and we also can never be upgraded due to needing the HC cabin. How nice it would be not to have to use the HC cabin, but we must, sigh:( Just one of the costs of being disabled, everything is more expensive.

Frustrating? Yes, for sure. But the reality of the ship's accommodations is what it is. No changing that.

Seems the only solution to reduce your costs would be to change the class of ship....and that would be frustrating too.

I hope you can make the best of it and have a great time with your sons.

You don't mention your itinerary but can you book a different ship? I think some of the other HAL ships can accomodate three in a handicapped cabin.

That's correct - if you can look at some of the larger ships then the SY cabins have some HC I believe and they can definitely hold 3.

Choices are less on the smaller ships unfortunately.

It's too bad. Good luck with your planning and have a great cruise

Have you asked HAL what they will do for you? If the cruise isn't sold out, perhaps they will give you a small inside cabin for a lesser amount, in consideration of your status and the limitations of the ship? I wouldn't expect it, but it never hurts to ask. The worst thing that can happen is that they say "no".

Have you asked HAL what they will do for you? If the cruise isn't sold out, perhaps they will give you a small inside cabin for a lesser amount, in consideration of your status and the limitations of the ship? I wouldn't expect it, but it never hurts to ask. The worst thing that can happen is that they say "no".

Thats what I was thinking also. They may not be able to do anything but it sure would be an opportunity for them to create a "moment of magic" for you epecially given your mariner status.

I am feeling a little frustrated because I have booked a cruise on the Statendam for two of my adult sons (one of which is disabled ) and me..but the Statedam doesn't have accessible cabins that will hold 3 people. So even though they have a promotion on the 3 and 4th passenger plus I will be a 4 star Mariner I can't take advantage of those discounts like everybody else onboard. Adding to that I must pay more for one person in the second cabin, I must pay for his laundry ( if he was in our cabin it would be free) and we also can never be upgraded due to needing the HC cabin. How nice it would be not to have to use the HC cabin, but we must, sigh:( Just one of the costs of being disabled, everything is more expensive.

Hi There Ian's Grandma -

Would any of the rooms listed below work for you and your sons?

HAL Site indicates modified HC accessible - Step in to bathroom - small step into shower

Deck A - Quads

FF829

FF831

Main Deck - Triple

D563

Hal did check to see if they could do something for me on the second cabin but the answer was no, unfortunately. It is a 28 day cruise to Hawaii and the South Pacific. The time is the only one that works for one of my sons so I will pay the difference. It just doesn't feel right that I have to pay thousands of dollars more than other cruisers but that is the way it is.

Oh, and as far as the modified cabins go we did look at that but, sadly, my son does not have the use of his legs so that step to the bathroom wouldn't work for him. But, thank you for your response. I was just venting when I posted...sometimes that helps:)

Yes, it is very frustrating. I am a disabled cruiser and need a fully accessible cabin. There are so very few of them available in the first place, and not in every category. I only travel with my husband so needing space for a 3rd or 4th person isn't an issue, but it would be nice to be able to take advantage of sales to better categories, or being bumped into something better. It's also necessary to book months and months in advance to assure a handicap-accessible cabin; I can't always plan that far ahead, so don't get to go as often as I might like. I feel your pain! :o

I would not FEEL frustrated, I would BE frustrated. But I would check with HAL to see if something can be worked out. Unforunatedly, the Statendam--a ship I have always liked--is the senior ship in the fleet right now and I think it would not have all the things on it that a newer ship would have. The Statendam came on line in late 1992 or early 1993. But I would call HAL as they are very reasonable people who try and accomodate thier passengers and the needs of the passengers.

The "S" class ships started joining the fleet in the early '90s and accessibility and not as close attention was paid to the HC cabins as today. Some were converted after coming from the boatyard and the designs probably aren't as flexible as could/would be today. The newer ships have more design and are more accomodating. Statendam is the first "S" class ship built thus the reference to that Class.... in reference to her.

Very sorry for your situation and I feel for you but while price accomodations are always within their sphere of possiblity the physical design of the cabin is what it is.

I hope you all have a wonderful cruise and some of the sting will be moderated by your good time. :)

I would not FEEL frustrated, I would BE frustrated. But I would check with HAL to see if something can be worked out. Unforunatedly, the Statendam--a ship I have always liked--is the senior ship in the fleet right now and I think it would not have all the things on it that a newer ship would have. The Statendam came on line in late 1992 or early 1993. But I would call HAL as they are very reasonable people who try and accomodate thier passengers and the needs of the passengers.

Himself...... Seems you were posting as I was typing. :) Same though process.

The OP did call HAL already and nothing can be done.

...... It just doesn't feel right that I have to pay thousands of dollars more than other cruisers but that is the way it is.

Some historical background on the ADA laws and cruise ships: http://candyharrington.com/clips/cruise.php

In this special situation I can see why you feel this way, but here are other options as pointed out. Older ships simply did not accommodate all levels of passengers and bringing them up to even reasonable for today's travel standards did require compromises.

I am sorry your heart was set on one of the older ships. We will be sailing shortly on an even older ship and both bathroom door and cabin doors have high steps to go over.

This is often a common impediment with older ships as it looks like they had to work with water tight doors to start out with before they tried to modernize them.Even able-bodied I was constantly tripping over the high thresholds to get in and out.

Best wishes to finding the best possible family vacation and hopefully if not this time, your cruise plans can work with one of the more up to date ship options that will meet your personal needs.

Seems to me that if you booked yourself into the cabin with your HC son, you could send out his laundry under your account. You could get an extra key for the other cabin and actually occupy it - or wherever you want. HAL won't care where you sleep. EM

The Westerdam is also doing the route a couple of times in the next couple of years...

Why not look ahead for a date that will work for all of you on the Westerdam?? All 3 of you could then be in a SY Handicapped and it would cost you less. This seems to be a route that is being offered more often, why not wait for a date that works for all on the Westerdam rather than taking one of the oldest ships in the fleet?? I have seen the SY Handicapped cabins, they are wonderful and much larger than the cabins on the Statendam (except the Suites and PS).

To everyone..thank you for the thoughts. I think that if Holland is going to offer deals on 3rd and 4th on a particular ship they should include something for those disabled who would like to have the same opportunity. Maybe a discount on the second cabin which would equal a similar savings to what everyone else gets. If they could let the person in the second cabin just pay the same per person rate as if there were 2 in the cabin that would seem resonable to me anyway. Hal suggested that I try to find another person to join us to bring the price down...not that easy.

......Hal suggested that I try to find another person to join us to bring the price down...not that easy.

This is like the same difficulty solo passengers face too. Again, not fair and not their fault either they are traveling solo when the ships are built primarily for double occupancies. And they are often 3-4 star Mariners too. Ships cannot be all things at all time for all people (at the same prices) as we all know.

I understand the issue with solo travelers and I am happy to see that NCL is offering solo cabins now. I do think that its different than this issue though. This is a special that was offered to everyone booking a cruise on this ship except the non abulatory disabled... discounts for 3rd and 4th, and we have 3. I hate to use the word but isn't that discriminatory? It sure feels like it:(

Whenever any special is issued, one must meet all terms in order to qualify. There are many instances when 'fair' isn't applicable. If all terms are not 'checked off', then the special does not apply.

I'm very sorry for you in this instance but there have any number of them with lots of folks through the years. Sometimes the special is for all weeks in a certain time span except the one that someone has booked. Or it is for people from 5 states and no others and a family from other states all sailing together..... some qualify and some don't.

Sadly this time the special is impacting a family with a HC situation.

Next time it could be any number of others who won't think it fair.

This is like the same difficulty solo passengers face too. Again, not fair and not their fault either they are traveling solo when the ships are built primarily for double occupancies. And they are often 3-4 star Mariners too. Ships cannot be all things at all time for all people (at the same prices) as we all know.

I really wouldn't call it difficult as a solo pax. That is the way I choose to vacation and I don't expect for HAL to give me a cabin for no extra cost even though I'm a 4*. It is what it is I think HAL is more than fair giving such a major discount for 3rd and 4th pax. I think some folks think that being that high up opens some special door. I haven't found it to be that way. I would also suggest the Westerdam to the OP since that might work better. I will not sail on the Statendam because I feel it's in poor shape. I know others don't share that opinion and that's fine.

Archived