Gratuities

iewe

Cant believe so many cruises and still can't figure this out... I always tip extra in cash to specific people, but with the auto gratuities, on a seven night cruise, is that 8 days that I multiply the per day rates to get my total if trying to figure out budget ahead of time? ($11.50 pp per day x 8 days for a seven night cruise..)..

$11.50? Did this recently go up? We cruised this past June and I could of sworn we paid only $10 a day in automatic gratuities. We have our gratuities prepaid for our upcoming cruise but I'd still like to know if this is a recent change?

They have gone up to $11.50 per person- per day. Think it was in November.

$11.50? Did this recently go up? We cruised this past June and I could of sworn we paid only $10 a day in automatic gratuities. We have our gratuities prepaid for our upcoming cruise but I'd still like to know if this is a recent change?

They went up. We paid 10 in July and are booked for February at 11.50.

Does anyone know the breakdown of the 11.50? What goes to which staff member etc?

thanks.

someone ask for a breakdown?

$5.80 per person per day goes to your mdr wait staff.

$3.70 per person per day goes to your room steward.

and if you use autotip, they will take another $2 per person per day to augment salary increases for guest services, entertainment, and hotel staff.

someone ask for a breakdown?

$5.80 per person per day goes to your mdr wait staff.

$3.70 per person per day goes to your room steward.

and if you use autotip, they will take another $2 per person per day to augment salary increases for guest services, entertainment, and hotel staff.

You yourself have said that stewards hire other crewmembers to help them and the other crewmembers do this as a way to make extra money, but you can't see that the same opportunity exists for other crewmembers to take on side jobs working for the company (for instance, loading baggage during embarkation), from which they get a share of that $2.

You yourself have said that stewards hire other crewmembers to help them and the other crewmembers do this as a way to make extra money, but you can't see that the same opportunity exists for other crewmembers to take on side jobs working for the company (for instance, loading baggage during embarkation), from which they get a share of that $2.

if i were to tip someone moving my bags, i would prefer to do that to the person actually handling my bags, like a porter in a hotel.

on a ship, these are just salaried people assigned to that task, as it's antirely a different operation from a hotel.

moving my luggage is part of my fare. on disney land/sea cruises, they even take your bags from your room to the ship, and/or vice versa!

outside, it's a bit different. You can hire someone for a tip to move your bags to or from your car or bus.

btw, the ships baggage handlers are the maintenance crew. they do not get any portion of any tips.

if i were to tip someone moving my bags, i would prefer to do that to the person actually handling my bags, like a porter in a hotel.

on a ship, these are just salaried people assigned to that task, as it's antirely a different operation from a hotel.

moving my luggage is part of my fare. on disney land/sea cruises, they even take your bags from your room to the ship, and/or vice versa!

outside, it's a bit different. You can hire someone for a tip to move your bags to or from your car or bus.

btw, the ships baggage handlers are the maintenance crew. they do not get any portion of any tips.

People have also seen entertainers and guest services moving bags as well as other functions outside their normal duties, but again you refuse to see it. c'est le vie.

People have also seen entertainers and guest services moving bags as well as other functions outside their normal duties, but again you refuse to see it. c'est le vie.

don't know who these "people" are that claim to see this, but i can tell you i've never seen entertainers moving bags.

i do see them assisting in muster though. i've yet to see tips extended then either.

Cant believe so many cruises and still can't figure this out... I always tip extra in cash to specific people, but with the auto gratuities, on a seven night cruise, is that 8 days that I multiply the per day rates to get my total if trying to figure out budget ahead of time? ($11.50 pp per day x 8 days for a seven night cruise..)..

It is $11.50 per night spent on the ship. Forget the number of days count nights only.

On my Nov. 28 cruuise they only charged $10.

the new amount went into effect on 12/1/11.

it was also leaked out here in the 5 pm hour on 10/31/11 that if your pre paid your tips before 11/1/11, you would be grandfathered at the old amount if your cruise was after 12/1/11.

don't know who these "people" are that claim to see this, but i can tell you i've never seen entertainers moving bags.

i do see them assisting in muster though. i've yet to see tips extended then either.

You should open your eyes. I see it all the time, plus they do safety drills, help with embarkation and debarkation, etc. Why not just admit that you don't tip and be done with it?

You should open your eyes. I see it all the time, plus they do safety drills, help with embarkation and debarkation, etc. Why not just admit that you don't tip and be done with it?

huh? where have i ever said i don't tip?

i don't tip non service people, nor put anything in the jar at the donut or pizza shop.

i was amused to see a tip jar at a gas station and stationary store just this past weekend.

This whole tipping discussion is all a pain in the butt. Too much discussion, too many threads about something that is trivial when compared to the total cost of the trip. There are two and only two ways to look at it.

1. You agree with or like the idea of tipping. Then leave the auto tips/dsc or anything else it is called alone and tell everyone you tipped.

2. You don't agree with this custom. Then leave the auto tis/dsc or anything else it is called and tell yourself that you paid X more per day than your quoted fare.

In any event the trip costs what it costs with the auto charges included. You can delude yourself all you want to but it doesn't change the math. The only way the math changes is if you remove the auto charges and don't give anything out. Then you are just cheap. Giving extra is always a more generous gerture but not required.

Stop this constant discussion over nothing.

Sorry I contributed to this nothingness.

This whole tipping discussion is all a pain in the butt. Too much discussion, too many threads about something that is trivial when compared to the total cost of the trip. There are two and only two ways to look at it.

1. You agree with or like the idea of tipping. Then leave the auto tips/dsc or anything else it is called alone and tell everyone you tipped.

2. You don't agree with this custom. Then leave the auto tis/dsc or anything else it is called and tell yourself that you paid X more per day than your quoted fare.

In any event the trip costs what it costs with the auto charges included. You can delude yourself all you want to but it doesn't change the math. The only way the math changes is if you remove the auto charges and don't give anything out. Then you are just cheap. Giving extra is always a more generous gerture but not required.

Stop this constant discussion over nothing.

Sorry I contributed to this nothingness.

sounds like you would have supported bank of americas $5 charge, or verizons $2 charge to pay your bill online.

it was a bit insulting reading that my wait staff tip was being increased .15 each, and my steward was being icreased .20, and to find out $1 was new, now going to full salaried employees. that comes to about $750,000 a week to help carnival with salaries.

chump change.

personally, i'll be making sure that $1 per person per day will be going to my personal service staff.

Archived