Gratuities

iewe

For about the billionth time since the change in December:

IT ISN'T ABOUT THE BLEEDING MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol. someone who thinks it`s about the money,

Yeah, I know, I know, "it's the principle of the thing".

I'd rather enjoy my vacation and allow the people who serve me have a MODERATE amount of extra cash.

One way or another, customers are responsible for 100% of all salaries in the company (Even Gerry). What I object to (mostly as a shareholder) is Carnival manipulating the tip structure by extending it to those not additionally tipped in order to hide a salary increase. From a book keeping perspective it is a little sketchy at best.

ok I get it. you have a problem with carnival's accounting practices. thats fine. however, by removing tips (and i'm not saying you do) you are not hurting carnival, you are only hurting the crew who serve you.

ok I get it. you have a problem with carnival's accounting practices. thats fine. however, by removing tips (and i'm not saying you do) you are not hurting carnival, you are only hurting the crew who serve you.

If they gave a raise to all the employees as some of these people want so they dont have to tip, that would hurt earnings which you would think a shareholder would care about.

I wonder if these same people are aware Carnival MISSED their numbers on their last earnings, mostly due to 30% higher fuel, though they are now hedging. Bookings are up but at lower prices which also contributed.

So because YOU have not seen it, that means it never happens? Interesting...

Totally off topic but this used to tick me off so much as a teenager. My mom was constantly yelling at me that I never did homework because she didn't see me doing homework. I did homework in my room, on the laptop I paid for, on my break at work, during lunch at school, in the car waiting between my high school classes and my college classes. I made mostly As and a few Bs, took 6 hours of college each semester my last 2 years of high school, and worked 3 jobs at a time. It infuriated me that she claimed I never did homework because she wasn't hovering over my shoulder watching me do it.

Totally off topic but this used to tick me off so much as a teenager. My mom was constantly yelling at me that I never did homework because she didn't see me doing homework. I did homework in my room, on the laptop I paid for, on my break at work, during lunch at school, in the car waiting between my high school classes and my college classes. I made mostly As and a few Bs, took 6 hours of college each semester my last 2 years of high school, and worked 3 jobs at a time. It infuriated me that she claimed I never did homework because she wasn't hovering over my shoulder watching me do it.

Do we have the same mother by any chance? My mom did the exact same bickering. I hate when people think because they have sailed 284738283 cruises that their word is more reputable than others.

Do we have the same mother by any chance? My mom did the exact same bickering. I hate when people think because they have sailed 284738283 cruises that their word is more reputable than others.

Yep, everybody's experience is different. You can LIVE on a cruise ship and not encounter something somebody on their first cruise has experienced.

Or an entertainment person could have been handling baggage right in front of this person but the person didn't know they were a dancer.

And 2 people can have the same experience and have different thoughts. My husband and I both love cruising and feel the same about everything but hypothetically I could have loved it and he could have hated it. We were on the same cruise, same room, same wait staff, same food, same excursions, same EVERYTHING, and can still have different thoughts.

i`ve been laughing at the thought of the entertainment putting down their boas long enough to carry luggage.

the girls too.

Really? The "girls" are probably in better shape than you. What else do you expect them to be doing during embarkation? There's no down time on the ship, they have to be doing something.

Really? The "girls" are probably in better shape than you. What else do you expect them to be doing during embarkation? There's no down time on the ship, they have to be doing something.

Just my two cents, they are likely "women" NOT girls. How condescending.

How about rehearsals for the shows?

I don't any more than anybody else but hauling luggage?

Really?

Bill

Cant believe so many cruises and still can't figure this out... I always tip extra in cash to specific people, but with the auto gratuities, on a seven night cruise, is that 8 days that I multiply the per day rates to get my total if trying to figure out budget ahead of time? ($11.50 pp per day x 8 days for a seven night cruise..)..

The first day of your cruise is embarkation day and is the first day you are charged the tip and everyday thereafter.

The day you leave the ship is not charged the tip. That is the first day for the next group of cruisers.

I hope that helps.:)

Tipping and smoking threads...they will bring out the worst in people (myself included).

Tipping is a personal choice. Do you sweat the amount you tip when you go out to a restaurant at home? Probably not. You tip according to the quality of service provided. I once tipped a single penny when we received horrid service at a restaurant. I didn't want the waiter to think I had forgotton his tip but wanted him to know what I thought of him.

On ships we leave the auto-tip in place without any modifications. If we get great service throughout the cruise then we leave extra. If we were to receive bad service I wouldn't leave anything extra (hasn't happened yet). The basic pre-paid tip would remain in place because, in reality, tips are their salary and no one should have to work for nothing.

This is the way we do it...no stress and no worries. Personally I feel those who remove auto-tips stiff the help (and don't bother explaining your actions on the board...we've all heard the same excuses).

For about the billionth time since the change in December:

IT ISN'T ABOUT THE BLEEDING MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree but people always want to make it about that. It is WHO the money is going to. That is why our tips will be $24 short on our upcoming 6 day cruise.

Tipping and smoking threads...they will bring out the worst in people (myself included).

Tipping is a personal choice. Do you sweat the amount you tip when you go out to a restaurant at home? Probably not. You tip according to the quality of service provided. I once tipped a single penny when we received horrid service at a restaurant. I didn't want the waiter to think I had forgotton his tip but wanted him to know what I thought of him.

On ships we leave the auto-tip in place without any modifications. If we get great service throughout the cruise then we leave extra. If we were to receive bad service I wouldn't leave anything extra (hasn't happened yet). The basic pre-paid tip would remain in place because, in reality, tips are their salary and no one should have to work for nothing.

This is the way we do it...no stress and no worries. Personally I feel those who remove auto-tips stiff the help (and don't bother explaining your actions on the board...we've all heard the same excuses).

your passages about tipping your service people and salary is correct, but what about your $2 per person per day that goes toward people who already get a full salary and are not part of your service staff?

How about rehearsals for the shows?

I don't any more than anybody else but hauling luggage?

Really?

Bill

They are going to rehearse 10 hours a day? I doubt it;). The luggage isn't going to load itself. Getting a ship ready to get underway is an all hands evolution.

your passages about tipping your service people and salary is correct, but what about your $2 per person per day that goes toward people who already get a full salary and are not part of your service staff?

But they only receive a share of the $2 when they are performing duties outside of their normal ones- working in the buffet, helping to load luggage, cleaning common areas or whatever (I know, I know, you can't "see" them do it). Every crewmember onboard is working 12 hours or more a day and I for one begrudge them not one cent that they get from wherever it comes from.

They are going to rehearse 10 hours a day? I doubt it;). The luggage isn't going to load itself. Getting a ship ready to get underway is an all hands evolution.

Actually, they are doing the fluff stuff when not practicing or performing. You will see them in the lobby handing out maps and helping the lost, and selling bingo cards. They are also doing muster.

If you were real lucky, when there was an F deck, you would find them there.

But they only receive a share of the $2 when they are performing duties outside of their normal ones- working in the buffet, helping to load luggage, cleaning common areas or whatever (I know, I know, you can't "see" them do it). Every crewmember onboard is working 12 hours or more a day and I for one begrudge them not one cent that they get from wherever it comes from.

lol. sounds like you think rates of pay change due to activities performed. doesn`t work that way.

ships personel picking up additional money at there contractual rate.

lol. sounds like you think rates of pay change due to activities performed. doesn`t work that way.

ships personel picking up additional money at there contractual rate.

I have seen pay plans where employees received $x for performing $y and $a for performing $z. Is that the way CCL does it? Don't know and don't care.

Archived