Taking kettle on board

We are sailing on Celebrity Century from Auckland on 30 January. Can I take a kettle as I don't think the ship provides tea/coffee facilities in the cabin? Can I also take a hair straightener? Thank you

Definitely NO to the kettle, and I think you will be OK with the hair straigthener.

You can order room service for coffee etc (I suggest you order the night before) otherwise it is not far walk to the Buffet - often saw people doing the morning coffee runs!

Please be aware ALL bags are screened on board before they are delivered to the room. Any items they consider to be dangerous, you WILL be called to the NAUGHTY ROOM on Deck 3. Items will be confiscated and returned to you at the end of the cruise. Sorry but Celebrity are very strict and smuggling alcohol etc will be loss of any found, and it will not be returned.

How do I know - DH was called to the Naughty Room :eek: (Note left on cabin door) because he had one pair of pliers (sidecutters), one spanner and one allen key - all needed to make running repairs to my power chair. The pliers were confiscated.

When we disembarked at Auckland items on the Confiscated Desk included:

Irons - small and large

Hairdressing Scissors (numerous)

A PopCorn Maker :confused:

Not sure what's going on with some of these cruise lines. Had a friend on Sun Princess last Feb and she is a keen knitter. She had her knitting and a small pair of craft scissors in her check in luggage and she was called down to main reception and taken into a room and questioned. She didn't get them back.

Up until now I have always taken a small pair of scissors in check in luggage while travelling overseas - land and sea - and never had a problem. Not sure what to do on a cruise in Feb and they have so many uses. They will be giving us plastic cutlery next.

We always take a small pair of scissors. We have left them in our booked-in cases as we use them to cut the cable ties on our luggage. So far, so good. :cool:

A relative of ours couldn't get his cruise card at check in until his suitcase was opened so they could check the scissors. Because he had difficulty walking I did it for him. When they saw the scissors were only manicure-size they OK'd them, but others lost theirs. It was the distinctive shape of the handle part of the scissors that showed up on X-ray. (Good reason to encase them in alfoil!!)

On the Princess Cruises so far, there have always been tables of women cosily chatting while working away at various crafts using a range of sharp implements. Have they tightened up the rules or improved their detenction equipment? Will this be the end of chat and tat? Will they allow my jewellery tool kit? So far no problems.

I do pack a plastic jug for heating water - no longer on the market - and have taken it on 7 cruises without a problem.

Colleen

Its not because they dont want you to have kettles , jugs, or coffee makers etc. in your cabin...its all about the supply of electricity.

You are not in a hotel room on land , drawing power from the main grid....

all the electricity is made on board the ship , and the cabins are only designed for small drawdowns of power.

You could plug in an iron and when switched on, blow out an entire section off the ship.

Heres an excerpt from Bill and Mary Ann currently posting on the Holland America board live from the World Cruise...

And we woke up to the aroma of fresh-brewed coffee right at 7am. Little did we know it would be our last. Later in the morning, we came back to find a letter from Christel, the guest relations manager, that due to safety reasons, we could not use the coffeemaker in our room. Darn! We complied by drying it out, packing it up, and putting it in the closet. Hopefully, it won't be confiscated because it would more than likely be damaged in the next four months. Anyway, it was a good idea, but it did not work. Upon relating this story to tablemate Leslie, she said someone had brought a hairdryer from home on her last cruise, and every morning, a short in that dryer shut down the power on one whole block on their ship. They isolated the culprit, and confiscated it until the voyage was over. Guess these things happen all the time.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1535300&page=5

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

why Confiscated sharp implements as in scissors e.g. if any wanted to use a sharp implement just get a knife from any eating area, what will they do next make us all eat with our hands or use plastic knifes and forks and spoons

Its not because they dont want you to have kettles , jugs, or coffee makers etc. in your cabin...its all about the supply of electricity.

You are not in a hotel room on land , drawing power from the main grid....

all the electricity is made on board the ship , and the cabins are only designed for small drawdowns of power.

You could plug in an iron and when switched on, blow out an entire section off the ship.

Mea culpa Kiwi Kruzer. I will cease and desist!

Colleen

I seem to recall some ships based in Southhampton have kettles provided in all the cabins. Can't remember which line, but I remember thinking that was a good initiative for a country of tea lovers, where the water has to be boiled to make good tea!

When we boarded the Sun Princess last year, we asked security if we could bring a kettle on. They checked and said yes, so next port we bought one, used it for 3 weeks, no problems with power or being asked not to use it. I will ask at check in on Century and go from there. I will put my hair straightener in my carry on luggage, so I don't get a call to the naughty room. Thanks for all the info.

I seem to recall some ships based in Southhampton have kettles provided in all the cabins. Can't remember which line, but I remember thinking that was a good initiative for a country of tea lovers, where the water has to be boiled to make good tea!

From reading around several cruise lines will add kettles when cruising out of Southampton... but not from other ports.

The one you are thinking of is probably P&O in the UK, they advertise 'tea and coffee making facilities' which I would take to be a kettle or similar.

We had kettles and supplies of tea/coffee in our cabins on Oriana and Arcadia.

Perhaps these security issues are a litle dependent on the cruiseline?? It is well known that the Americans are phobic these days about security and phobias seem to spread. I can imagine for example that the matter of not allowing scissors onto ships has spread from the tight security on airlines since 9/11.

Barry

Perhaps these security issues are a litle dependent on the cruiseline?? It is well known that the Americans are phobic these days about security and phobias seem to spread. I can imagine for example that the matter of not allowing scissors onto ships has spread from the tight security on airlines since 9/11. Barry

I agree with that comment. I think the problem with scissors is the sharp pointed end so I don't agree with the earlier post about table knives being equally dangerous.

I love having room service deliver me my morning cuppa. Take a small thermos and pop up to the buffet if you want a number of morning wake ups.

Or take a plunge coffee maker and use that.

Honestly you really don't need all this extra stuff to cart around. Keep it simple and enjoy yourself.

I took a small iron on Rhapsody last cruise and it was great- didn't blow out the ship. Loved having a small kettle provided and this cruise (on PD) tempted to take a kettle - not worried about the iron as there is a laundry on board.

Always take a travel kettle with us on board Princess, it comes with its own mugs, stacked inside.

Never had a problem.

Ditto. I felt guilty after hearing about the damage this could do to the electric circuits. Sounded a bit like throwing foreign objects down the loo. I will rethink!

Colleen

Edited by cjm66

• 4 years later...
Always take a travel kettle with us on board Princess, it comes with its own mugs, stacked inside.

Never had a problem.

Going on Princess at the end of the year....where did you get your kettle? A "proper" cup of tea made with boiling water would be incredible!:)

I bought mine which was the same at Rays outdoors. Never used on a cruise but always take when travel to Europe as majority of hotels don't have tea/coffee facilities and I love my morning cuppa and last thing at night.