Royal Caribbean Complaint - Seeking Resolution

tgunth

Interestingly enough, our upcoming cruise is to Ocho Rios....so I am so excited to show our kids where we got married! Any advice on who to contact for some resolution to this? Our cruise is April 9, 2012 so we are less than 90 days out. We are only on deck 2, and paying out the nose for that, but I will be happy with this anyway if I can't get anything better....it is a bit late in the game. If they can't recognize their mistake, I may just stick with Disney CL! Thanks, and sorry so long! Regardless of all this, we are still very happily married (8 yrs), have two beautiful children and are so blessed.

-Tammy

*sigh* She's going to be really disappointed when she gets off the ship in Falmouth rather than Ocho Rios. :(

:rolleyes: yep everyone has to start with their 1st post, but I just thought it was strange that someone who after 8 yrs still was feeling the sting of a bad experience would come back to the same cruise line.

To each his own, I would not have came back to the same company, just saying.

I really hope that this go round they are open to RCCI's experience and set no expectations. I hope they get hooked on cruising and become addicted.

Did you just book with RCI hoping for a nice upgrade for something that happened eight years ago for which you were already compensated? Seriously? I think it would have been a lot better all around if you had just booked with Disney (talk about paying through the nose). Looks like you are going to be miserable the whole trip. Real fun for the family.

Just suck it up and realize that that ship has sailed (pun intended) and you aren't getting anything else.

*sigh* She's going to be really disappointed when she gets off the ship in Falmouth rather than Ocho Rios. :(

That was what I was thinking but I just checked the web site and these are the ports of call.

Ports of Call:

Fort Lauderdale, Florida; Ocho Rios, Jamaica; Labadee, Haiti; Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Hope that's where it actually stops because if it doesn't, she's really going to be pissed off and the saga will continue. Can't wait to hear how this turns out.

That was what I was thinking but I just checked the web site and these are the ports of call.

Ports of Call:

Fort Lauderdale, Florida; Ocho Rios, Jamaica; Labadee, Haiti; Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Hope that's where it actually stops because if it doesn't, she's really going to be pissed off and the saga will continue. Can't wait to hear how this turns out.

I hope I'm still alive for her next post in 8 years. :D

tgunth, I hope you'll come back and update us after you contact RCCL. I'm sure the negative responses here are discouraging, but regardless of my personal opinion about your situation, I'm incredibly curious to know what RCCL's response will be.

You've got to be kidding? If you are still upset with RC why didn't you book with another cruise line.

I'm sorry, but after 8 years you don't deserve anything. Let it go and enjoy your cruise with your family.

My thoughts exactly. I can't imagine why anyone would think they should get anything at all this many years later. If $100 was what they agreed to back then, well, use it or lose it.

Why would anyone even waste their time trying to get something now? :confused: Life is too short.

Gina

• Haha 1

Maybe instead of a cruise, she should've bought a Delta Faucet. I purchased one several years ago. Recently a part broke. I called up and explained the part, approximately when it was purchased, etc. The person on the other end took down my name, address, gave me shipping times, etc. At the end I asked about any payment. The guy responded "You bought a Delta. It has a lifetime warranty". :) BTW, the part arrived sooner than quoted.

Moral of the story: Um...I don't know. Find a cruise with a lifetime guarantee maybe??

Royal Caribbean uses an independent company to book cruise weddings, was this not the case back then? The Wedding Experience (at least now) handles all of the wedding stuff and to be honest, they suck. Not sure though how long they have been doing this.

I am sure though if you send a nice, detailed, letter to Royal Caribbean explaining how you were given a credit and how bad your experience was (also pointing out that back then they weren't using TWE if that was the case) they might do something for you, maybe.

We are huge Royal fans but back in 2006, my son was married on Caribbean Princess because Royal did not perform weddings on the ship. They were told that the Captain did not have the authority perform a ship ceremony but they would arrange an island wedding.

Edited by SPDBigG

I agree with most of the comments here - 8 years ago, you settled for a $100 compensation. How about just taking the lessons learned, the $100 and have a good vacation. Lessons learned - book, get names, dates, receipt, recheck and recheck about specific reservation numbers, etc etc. If it can go wrong - it will!

You are in a better place today with a family of four all going on vacation. The ship is fantastic and have a positively memorable vacation!

Maybe instead of a cruise, she should've bought a Delta Faucet. I purchased one several years ago. Recently a part broke. I called up and explained the part, approximately when it was purchased, etc. The person on the other end took down my name, address, gave me shipping times, etc. At the end I asked about any payment. The guy responded "You bought a Delta. It has a lifetime warranty". :) BTW, the part arrived sooner than quoted.

Moral of the story: Um...I don't know. Find a cruise with a lifetime guarantee maybe??

I had the same experience with Delta faucets. They were awesome.

To the OP: the responses you've received here should give a good indication of the type of response you may get with RCCL if you choose to take the route of "I deserve something for my inconvenience 8 years ago." I would suggest a softer approach -- maybe something like, "hey, so there was this mixup when I last booked RCCL for my wedding, but I'm back and still happily married!" With the right tone, a sense of humor and a positive attitude perhaps you can get *something* - eg a bottle of champagne - and a nice story to share!

Or here's a wacky idea: what about seeing if they can give you a credit towards renewing your vows? I know you are paying a premium already for Easter, but maybe this can be a compromise and finally bring closure.

Good luck!

Edited by windjamming

I don't expect anything from RCCL at this point, but I do think I deserve more than the $100 they offered. Yes, it has been a long time, no doubt, but I haven't sailed since. I would be going to them with a bit of humble pie.

All 20 people had fully paid and this came to light after their trips were non-refundable. They were coming for my wedding, which almost didn't happen. The paid reservation was made 8 months prior to sailing and it was only several weeks before the wedding when I found out they didn't even schedule it! It wasn't a 24 hr wait to hear they could accommodate me.....this took over a week after they had my "proof".

I canceled not solely because of they lost my reservation, but because they were incredibly rude to me even after this incredible situation.

So why are you sailing with them again?

You don't expect anything but you do expect more than the $100.00 they offered. Ok now I do understand you are expecting something. After 8 years, as Chris Carter from ESPN would say. "COME ON MAN". You can't really think or expect Royal Caribbean to do anything now. But I guess YOU do.

Long story short,

My family was on Crown PRINCESS- 7-11-2006, this cruise had a listing/tilting event that put 28 people in the hospital and killed 1-2 workers. The event was human error. Princess cruises did refund all monies for the cruise (except for excursions and gambling etc), but the cruise was re-imbursed (btw we were sailing home to NY from Miami and had already completed 8 of the 10day cruise).

However, I always felt that Princess should have offered some kind of discount on a future cruise so we might sail their cruiseline again. Well, the discount/ credit on future cruise never came.

Moral to story:

I am now sailing with Royal Caribbean :D

Edited by thegratefuldad

Long story short,

My family was on Crown PRINCESS- 7-11-2006, this cruise had a listing/tilting event that put 28 people in the hospital and killed 1-2 workers. The event was human error. Princess cruises did refund all monies for the cruise (except for excursions and gambling etc), but the cruise was re-imbursed (btw we were sailing home to NY from Miami and had already completed 8 of the 10day cruise).

However, I always felt that Princess should have offered some kind of discount on a future cruise so we might sail their cruiseline again. Well, the discount/ credit on future cruise never came.

Moral to story:

I am now sailing with Royal Caribbean :D

So are you saying that instead of giving you a full refund for the cruise you were on they should have given you a credit for a future cruise? Don't believe most people would have been happy with that even though they had already enjoyed more than half of their cruise.

If you're saying they should have given you BOTH, well, that's just downright greedy.

So are you saying that instead of giving you a full refund for the cruise you were on they should have given you a credit for a future cruise? Don't believe most people would have been happy with that even though they had already enjoyed more than half of their cruise.

If you're saying they should have given you BOTH, well, that's just downright greedy.

One thing I left out was my son was injured while in the gym when the apparatus fell on him. My wife (a nurse) spent 4 hours caring for injured people in the triage area they set up because the ship did not have enough trained personnel to care for the injured.

In addition, we never insisted on anything, I thought Princess would think it a good jesture to have us cruise with them again. This was human error that their second in command of the ship caused (he was fired) We never asked for anything and not sure about your greedy comment being warranted.

Greed is in the eye of the beholder. I thought it would have been a good business decision on their part, they never offered and we never asked. We took our business elsewhere and that was the point of the story.

I'll not go further with this as I have you as well all summed up. My point was to the OP that it's best to just take your business elsewhere if he thinks a company did not do what you thought right.

This greedy guy signing off, :p

I had the same experience with Delta faucets. They were awesome.

To the OP: the responses you've received here should give a good indication of the type of response you may get with RCCL if you choose to take the route of "I deserve something for my inconvenience 8 years ago." I would suggest a softer approach -- maybe something like, "hey, so there was this mixup when I last booked RCCL for my wedding, but I'm back and still happily married!" With the right tone, a sense of humor and a positive attitude perhaps you can get *something* - eg a bottle of champagne - and a nice story to share!

Or here's a wacky idea: what about seeing if they can give you a credit towards renewing your vows? I know you are paying a premium already for Easter, but maybe this can be a compromise and finally bring closure.

Good luck!

very positive attitude! TY!

Several times the OP stated "after I escalated the situation...". There lies the problem; she was the one to make mountains out of mole hills, she caused her own stress, and the "rude" attitude she got from RCI's customer service rep probably was a reflection of her own. I don't smell a troll, I smell a bridezilla!!

I have had some issues with some things that have happened throughout the years with my sailings, the recent one was on the Freedom of the Seas where the listing happened on the October 9 sailing.

Due to all that happened with my cabin they offered me a 1/2 price cruise but it has to be used within 1 year. The other incidences that I got obc or some sailing days, everything had to be used within a year. I don't think you have any hope of 8 years later getting what you want.

I understand that it was a horrific experience for you but to them you really didn't care about what they were offering you or you would have sailed sooner.

As one poster said, it is time to let go or go with another line. Obviously you have sailed since you mentioned Disney so if you are happy with them then sail with them.

I am not trying to be mean, just realistic. RCCL has a lot of people sailing them, they are a good company, I have sailed with them since 1990 but they have protocols and I just can't imagine them giving you what you want 8 years later.. You can try, if you get it, great, if not, move on.

Have fun sailing with your children whatever you decide.