2 American survivors on Dr Phil

frito58

I thought it was good to see too. I know the media sensationalizes things but to me as someone who's been on a couple of cruises and would like to go again, the blind loyalty some show for the cruise lines is a bit scary. I don't post a lot in the different cruise groups but I do read them and I'm surprised to see there are a fair bit of people writing this couple's experience off. As much as anyone enjoys cruising, you can't discount what this couple went through. They had to crawl through dark stairways of a tilted, sinking ship not knowing if they would survive. As easy as it is for people to say "I don't care, I just booked another cruise!" I'm glad these people are telling their story to ensure there's an understanding of the seriousness of the situation and that Carnival is held accountable to assist those who were harmed by the incident and work to make sure it doesn't happen again.

We viewed the Dr Phil show & the 20/20 news report on cruising & the Concordia Tragedy. Also read the Editor in Chief of Cruise Critic report here on cruise critic under "The Lido" (problem is you have to search for it :eek:)

All the reports are devestating & imo would have not only an impact on Costa going forward ;but ,the entire cruise industry in general. There are just too many occurances of various degrees of mishaps on cruises:rolleyes:

I thought it was good to see too. I know the media sensationalizes things but to me as someone who's been on a couple of cruises and would like to go again, the blind loyalty some show for the cruise lines is a bit scary. I don't post a lot in the different cruise groups but I do read them and I'm surprised to see there are a fair bit of people writing this couple's experience off. As much as anyone enjoys cruising, you can't discount what this couple went through. They had to crawl through dark stairways of a tilted, sinking ship not knowing if they would survive. As easy as it is for people to say "I don't care, I just booked another cruise!" I'm glad these people are telling their story to ensure there's an understanding of the seriousness of the situation and that Carnival is held accountable to assist those who were harmed by the incident and work to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Ditto.

I watched Dr Phil yesterday and one statement the wife said that has stayed with me, was how they were able to remain calm and think of how to navigate to the next level of escape. Relating to their tragedy in a differant way, I can agree, that talking to friends, family is the best means of recovering.

Here's a particularly sad clip from the Dr. Phil show.

Yeah, hopefully that family with the child made it through OK. Had to be a difficult moment. That's another thing that irks me - I've seen people take shots at the woman for giving the baby back as though it was a cowardly action. Hard to say in a case like this what someone could do. I can imagine being pressed against a staircase like that and not knowing if you're going to fall over, if the railing will give way or whatever the case.

Yeah, hopefully that family with the child made it through OK. Had to be a difficult moment. That's another thing that irks me - I've seen people take shots at the woman for giving the baby back as though it was a cowardly action. Hard to say in a case like this what someone could do. I can imagine being pressed against a staircase like that and not knowing if you're going to fall over, if the railing will give way or whatever the case.

Honestly....in a real situation, how many people would risk their lives for a strangers baby.

It's very easy to say "I would"....when you're sitting on land, in a dry room, in front of a computer.

Did I miss something? Why did the man pass off the baby to the other woman. Why couldn't he or his wife hold the baby? Were they in the ship or on the tender/lifeboat?

A couple asked the woman, please take our baby. She did but as she stated, she realized she wouldn't be able to hang on and hold the baby without possibly dropping the baby down the stairwell, something to that effect. At that point she turned to them and handed the baby back saying to them, you need to be with your baby. That really made me sad. Not the fact that she did that, just that more than likely they did indeed as a family, perish. I am sure she will have that in her mind for the rest of her life, wondering if indeed they made it. So sad..:(

This is the clip

Janet, that had to have been a difficult decision, and as she said, they thought for a moment that they themselves weren't going to make it and felt if they were not going to live, it would be best families be together. That other couple had been in the lifeboat earlier with them until they were ordered out because they couldn't lower it.

A couple asked the woman, please take our baby. She did but as she stated, she realized she wouldn't be able to hang on and hold the baby without possibly dropping the baby down the stairwell, something to that effect. At that point she turned to them and handed the baby back saying to them, you need to be with your baby. That really made me sad. Not the fact that she did that, just that more than likely they did indeed as a family, perish. I am sure she will have that in her mind for the rest of her life, wondering if indeed they made it. So sad..:(

This is the clip

I hadn't heard that there is a baby among the 12 confirmed dead. I know they have said that among the missing, there is a 5 yr old girl but have not read of any other children.

Did I miss something? Why did the man pass off the baby to the other woman. Why couldn't he or his wife hold the baby? Were they in the ship or on the tender/lifeboat?

They were on the ship, struggling to get up the stairwell...but I agree with you, I just don't understand why a father or mother would hand over their child under those circumstances. I would think you'd be holding onto your child and/or other family members for dear life.

I was struck by the fact that the wife said when they got to the life boat area, there were no life jackets left and they thought they wouldn't be able to get into a boat without one, so they went back to their cabin and got them. Everyone is telling me that on RCI Oasis and Allure , where there are no life jackets in the cabins, it wouldn't be a problem getting one from the many places they are stored on those particular ships. Has me wondering.

Janet, that had to have been a difficult decision, and as she said, they thought for a moment that they themselves weren't going to make it and felt if they were not going to live, it would be best families be together. That other couple had been in the lifeboat earlier with them until they were ordered out because they couldn't lower it.

Oh yes, I understand what happened...Just so sad all around for everyone.

Sorry, this is still not clear in my mind. If the father was able to pass a child to the other woman, they had to be at least within arms' reach. They all were still on the ship together. Perhaps he, nor his wife, had on a life jacket?

I was struck by the fact that the wife said when they got to the life boat area, there were no life jackets left and they thought they wouldn't be able to get into a boat without one, so they went back to their cabin and got them. Everyone is telling me that on RCI Oasis and Allure , where there are no life jackets in the cabins, it wouldn't be a problem getting one from the many places they are stored on those particular ships. Has me wondering.

I was on Allure and there definitely was life jackets in our cabin

They were on the ship, struggling to get up the stairwell...but I agree with you, I just don't understand why a father or mother would hand over their child under those circumstances. I would think you'd be holding onto your child and/or other family members for dear life.

I get why they did it. At the time I am sure they thought that they would die. Parental instinct pushes a parent do to what ever you can to save your child even if that means handing them to perfect strangers. Just like when a building is burning, a mother will toss her babies out of a window believing that someone below will catch them and save them, rather then allowing them to die in the fire. The parent would gain comfort in their final hours knowing that their child was safe. It would be one of the hardest decisions that a parent would ever make.

Archived