Another soul found

azbirdmom

Sky news reported this morning that the lady who was recovered yesterday was an unregistered passenger from Hungary.

Her family had reported her missing and that she was on the ship, she was not on any passenger list.

If they had 1 unregistered passenger aboard, could the count of missing be understating the already tragic number? Andnif there was 1 unregistered, could there have been more?

CBC just sent my iPhone "breaking news" that a 13th victim has been pulled from the wreck.

Can't find out much about it...no one else is reporting it yet.

It's starting to get out there as this is on BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16672216

The article states that she is the 13th, but that would bring the number of missing down to 19 and the article still has the 20 number.

It is horrifying that they have unregistered passengers. How did they get on the ship in the first place? On so many levels this is wrong.

I hope and pray that they find the remaining souls so the families can find peace.

If they had 1 unregistered passenger aboard, could the count of missing be understating the already tragic number? Andnif there was 1 unregistered, could there have been more?

I thought the captains mystery guest had also tripped and fell into the lifeboat.....

Also, just my own personal aside, I would like to hope that the "souls" had already departed for a better place and were not trapped in the ship, only the "vessel" of the soul.

We once shared a taxi to the airport with a former cruise ship employee (a Dutch woman who sold future cruises) who had been on the ship to visit her old friends. We asked about her cabin and she stated that they (former employees/relatives) are allowed to cruise free if they stay in their friend or relative's cabin. She stated that because employees work such long hours that they just sleep in shifts. This was a Carnival ship, so not just an Italian thing, but a Carnival (and perhaps industy wide) perk.

Maybe these are the 'unregistered' passengers and why several crew members have told the media that the estimated number of missing is probably low.

I also read a startling discussion on a boating forum about lifejackets causing a broken neck if not held firmly in place when hitting the water. That's something I never knew.

It's starting to get out there as this is on BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16672216

This isn't directed at you. I'm just using your posting because you have the BBC link.

Everyone, please note that this story says that the 12th victim hasn't been identified. I hate to bring up horrible images, but they earlier reported that she would have to be identifed by DNA...they've been in the water a long time.

The Italian official said that there "may" be unregistered passengers, based on the phone call from the Hungarians looking for their relative. I would wait for further developments and to hear from Costa before taking any of this as fact.

We once shared a taxi to the airport with a former cruise ship employee (a Dutch woman who sold future cruises) who had been on the ship to visit her old friends. We asked about her cabin and she stated that they (former employees/relatives) are allowed to cruise free if they stay in their friend or relative's cabin. She stated that because employees work such long hours that they just sleep in shifts. This was a Carnival ship, so not just an Italian thing, but a Carnival (and perhaps industy wide) perk.

Maybe these are the 'unregistered' passengers and why several crew members have told the media that the estimated number of missing is probably low.

I also read a startling discussion on a boating forum about lifejackets causing a broken neck if not held firmly in place when hitting the water. That's something I never knew.

When flight crew deadhead on planes in jump seats, the airlines still have them accounted for on the manifest. To not do so would be foolish at best. But then again...

The link that I posted earlier today now includes the following information:

The identity of a woman whose body was found on Saturday has yet to be established, along with those of three men discovered previously.

The head of the Civil Protection Agency, Franco Gabrielli, said the woman may be a Hungarian who was reported missing but was not on the ship's embarkation list.

There could have been more "illegals" on board, he said, referring to people who were not registered to be on the vessel.

While a lot has been speculated and it will take some time to sort it all out, it seems that at least 1 official is now publicly acknowledging the possible existence of "illegals" on the ship.

We think that if the salvage company can ever reright the ship & drain the water ,then a complete search would uncover remains of many missing souls;).

Our thoughts & prayers go out to the friends & families of those still missing

My understanding is that having friends/family/girlfriends of crew and officers on board as unregistered guests was common practice in the cruise industry. This allows these guests to travel for free and not pay taxes & port fees while visiting people on board.

Due to this there may be more missing people than the number officially listed.

Not any longer, they stopped having you bring them to muster almost 2 years ago. Oasis class ships do not even have lifejackets in the cabins to wear at muster anyway.

That's absurd. But then again having life boat capacity for 4500 on a ship with 8000 people including crew is pretty ridiculous as well.

This is so sad. I do agree with another poster- It is better to find these individuals rather than to never find them. So although terribly tragic and sad for the families and friends of these victims, at least they will have some closure.

In all seriousness regarding the talk of carrying vs. wearing life jackets- I never thought of that. While I agree, I think it would be all the more difficult to carry your life jacket during time of panic and chaos like this. They can easily be dropped and block others around you from moving as freely as possible. I am not sure either one is the perfect method. I had a random thought, and many of us discussed on another post to have a "disaster bag" handy in your cabin which you can just grab and run. This bag can include anything you think would be helpful like a flashlight, swiss army knife, change of clothes, snacks, poncho, medications, etc. But perhaps even arm floaties. I am sure it sounds ridiculous but it could be better than nothing. Or, and inflatable life jacket although much more vulnerable to punctures than a typical life jacket it could help save someone's life.

Sky news reported this morning that the lady who was recovered yesterday was an unregistered passenger from Hungary.

Her family had reported her missing and that she was on the ship, she was not on any passenger list.

Seriously , how messed up is this cruiseline . I mean This is beyond belief IMHO with the world the way it , so basically any terriosts can board a ship in Europe???

Oasis class ships do not even have lifejackets in the cabins to wear at muster anyway.
At first this may seem to be an irrational thing

BUT having now recovered several dead bodies in the wreck of Concordia

and a common thread among those recoveries is that they were all wearing their life-jackets

it may indeed be a good thing to carry your life-jacket to muster(real or drill)

rather than wear it. ;)

Bear in mind that airlines always warn you to NOT INFLATE the thing

until you are OUTside the aeroplane.

Someone(aviator type) earlier indicated that when 'drowned' aircraft are eventually recovered,

they sometimes find bodies stuck fast to the ceiling of the aircraft cabin

held there by an inflated life-jacket!! = Someone didn't do as they were told, then got into trouble somehow

and couldn't make their way out because they were simply too buoyant!

Learn from this!

Willing to bet the last few life-jacketed bodies found on Concordia

were also found...stuck fast to whatever-served-as-ceiling, on the ship.

Personally, I am not wearing mine, inside the ship!

- not until I am out on an open deck somewhere, free and clear.

You guys can do whatever.

At first this may seem to be an irrational thing

BUT having now recovered several dead bodies in the wreck of Concordia

and a common thread among those recoveries is that they were all wearing their life-jackets

it may indeed be a good thing to carry your life-jacket to muster(real or drill)

rather than wear it. ;)

Bear in mind that airlines always warn you to NOT INFLATE the thing

until you are OUTside the aeroplane.

Someone(aviator type) earlier indicated that when 'drowned' aircraft are eventually recovered,

they sometimes find bodies stuck fast to the ceiling of the aircraft cabin

held there by an inflated life-jacket!! = Someone didn't do as they were told, then got into trouble somehow

and couldn't make their way out because they were simply too buoyant!

Learn from this!

Willing to bet the last few life-jacketed bodies found on Concordia

were also found...stuck fast to whatever-served-as-ceiling, on the ship.

Personally, I am not wearing mine, inside the ship!

- not until I am out on an open deck somewhere, free and clear.

You guys can do whatever.

Can't carry a lifejacket to a muster station if you don't have one in your cabin.

Can't carry a lifejacket to a muster station if you don't have one in your cabin.
I can't afford RCL (as you can see from my avatar)

My point was that Royal Caribbean has discovered that

the best place to pick up your life-jacket is at their muster station. ;)

When we do Carnival muster drills, I always wondered about this instruction to go back to your cabin

collect the jacket, then go to muster station

when

they inform you (at muster) that there are way-enough jackets AT muster station

if you don't make it back to the cabin. :confused:

Gotta hand it to Roy.Carib. for this!

Hopefully, there will be no life-jacket in my Carnival cabin, next cruise.

That's IF you can get to your muster station and IF there are enough to go around and IF they haven't been taken by people assigned to other muster stations who can't get to their muster station.

Personally I think having them in BOTH locations would be a better option. And it would cost the cruise line what, an extra $10-50K depending on the number of passengers on the ship. That's nothing to them.

When we do Carnival muster drills, I always wondered about this instruction to go back to your cabin

when

That makes sense, and would discourage people from going to the wrong muster station or jumping off. But what if you can't reach your assigned muster station?

I can't afford RCL (as you can see from my avatar)

when

Gotta hand it to Roy.Carib. for this!

Hopefully, there will be no life-jacket in my Carnival cabin, next cruise.

What if you can't get to your muster station, but are near your cabin. What works on a drill when the ship is upright doesn't always work when the ship has problems. If the ship is on its side, how do you get to the deck, or what if your lifeboat can't be lowered as the ship is listing too much. Need full compliment of lifejackets at muster stations AND also in cabins. So that would cost companies a bit more but is do-able. Some people in this tragedy didn't have a lifejacket at all. I read a report from a french passenger who didn't have a life jacket and her husband insisted on her having his life jacket, they had to jump in the water, the water was at 8 degrees, she survived he didn't. Maybe he might have made it if he'd had a life jacket, even if it was a heart attack due to cold and stress, he might have been picked up by rescue boat with a different outcome.

Hopefully this will never happen again. Cruising is actually one of the safest forms of travel when you look at the number of incidents compared to the number of cruises. It's a hundred years since the Titanic went down. Lessons will be learnt following this tragedy too.

That makes sense, and would discourage people from going to the wrong muster station or jumping off. But what if you can't reach your assigned muster station?

If I couldn't reach the muster station I would jump, so would like a lifejacket in the cabin aswell, just in case I had time to go back to get it. I still think you need the lifejackets in the cabins AND and full compliment at the muster stations. I think the people who jumped this time saw no other option, no way to get to the side of the ship now lifted out of the water due to the angle, and water rushing in to fill lower decks at an alarming rate. I probably wouldn't want to go all the way back down for a life jacket knowing the ship was sinking, but we always book a deck at a high level, usually top deck. Why were Costa sending people back to their cabins, they should have got everyone into a safe lounge, with jackets, as soon as the accident occured, whilst assessing the damage. I can only assume the captain didn't understand the nature of the damage. It was just a catalogue of errors from start to finish.

Rescue chief Franco Gabrielli also said some of the missing may not have been properly registered.

Italian media have speculated that some of the missing crew from South America and Asia may have been employed without proper contracts and working illegally and therefore not registered.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2090196/Costa-Concordia-island-besieged-daytrippers-eager-glance-wrecked-cruise-ship.html#ixzz1kEaEv9kv

Archived