Recent Coki Beach Reviews

Lidolounger

We have been to Coki many times, but last year it was a mess. To be fair, they were building new bathroooms etc, but the entire area was full of concrete, rebar etc. Trying to decide ft we go back to Coki hoping the construction has been completed - or do we try somewhere different like Emerald Beach?

If you like the normal Coki vibe head back there. It is a gorgeous bay and we do love it there. But we prefer a quieter spot like Sapphire when ships are in and you can hit Coki early and as it fills up taxi over to Sapphire.

I just read a post on the Snorkeling forum that there are still no changing/restrooms at Coki. We were planning on going there next month, but may have to re-think it. Emerald or Sapphire Beach? We were at Secret Harbor 2 years ago, & enjoyed it, but wanted to try a different beach this time.

Sapphire is our favorite - has some of the best snorkeling (reef and sea grass for rays & turtles) but we're not big snorkelers and we just enjoy the gorgeous views of STJ and Tortola when we stay there. Also close to Red Hook for evening entertainment in case you have a late departure.

Actually I don't think we've ever been to a beach that doesn't have some wind but I'm surprised to hear there have been many posts saying Sapphire is a windy bay...

Every bay can be rough when there's an ocean swell, and we had a couple days of a swell after hopping over from Tortola, but it was that way at the other beaches too although Coki is a bit more protected. Sapphire was very calm during the rest of the week we stayed there. Unfortunately a poster can make a negative comment based on a one-time visit and not understand the situation too, see that alot. Just a beautiful spot, everyone we know who goes there loves it but everyone is different.

Don't get me wrong, I think the most beautiful beaches are in the BVI and southern Caribbean. But Sapphire and Coki are gorgeous for St Thomas.

I was at Coki Beach in December 2011 and the restroom/showers were completed and the facility and beach very clean.[/quo

Thanks for the update - I was all set to go to Emerald, but were only considering another option due to the conditions we ran in to last time - now think we're back to Coki. Decisions, decisions

We've been to Coki twice. The first time was fabulous. Great snorkeling, great time perfect beach conditions. The 2nd time huge disappointment, but to no fault of anyone but mother nature. The 2nd time the tide was high, so there was less beach. The water was extremely choppy. We couldn't swim or snorkel! We were crammed next to others on the beach.

Don't know how to find out about conditions before heading to a beach

We will be in St. Thomas next week and are changing our plans to either Sapphire or Emerald.

We had a great time. It is very simple, less developed, restrooms were OK, shade is great! This was our favorite beach, but that is because we love the natural, less developed beaches. We went in our swimsuits, so didn't need to change. Ordered food and drink, no worries, they come right up to you and keep coming back if you let them know you might want something later. We enjoyed the "rough" atmosphere. I felt safe, and it was a very relaxing day! If you want buildings, amenities or fancy service, this beach is not for you.

We had a great time. It is very simple, less developed, restrooms were OK, shade is great! This was our favorite beach, but that is because we love the natural, less developed beaches. We went in our swimsuits, so didn't need to change. Ordered food and drink, no worries, they come right up to you and keep coming back if you let them know you might want something later. We enjoyed the "rough" atmosphere. I felt safe, and it was a very relaxing day! If you want buildings, amenities or fancy service, leav in less than a weekthis beach is not for you.

This is exactly why we like Coki so much, Glad to hear all of the construction is over. We leave in less than a week :):D:):)

• 2 weeks later...

We were at Coki 3 or 4 years ago and loved it except when we were walking back to catch a taxi, some of the locals were smoking drugs, asked if we wanted any etc. Also, heard there was a shooting there a while ago. Have they cleaned up the area? Anyone feel unsafe there?

We were at Coki 3 or 4 years ago and loved it except when we were walking back to catch a taxi, some of the locals were smoking drugs, asked if we wanted any etc. Also, heard there was a shooting there a while ago. Have they cleaned up the area? Anyone feel unsafe there?

I read about the crime, too. For this trip, it will be me (Mom) and my two teen daughters. We loved Coki when we went before, with my husband, but he will be diving for this cruise. I am trying to decide if my daughters and I go to Coki again or try Sapphire.

I would go to Sapphire, you will feel much more comfortable there. We've stayed at Sapphire and although we love Coki for its' intimacy and beauty we prefer Sapphire. It is very safe there being a condo resort, and the beach and water are just as beautiful. You also have great views of Tortola and St John, and boats coming and going from the Sapphire Marina. Plenty of drink/food options at the Banana Cabana and from runners on the beach, chair and floatie rentals are available at the dive center, and there is alot of natural shade along the beach.

I think you would be very happy you chose Sapphire for that day!

I would go to Sapphire, you will feel much more comfortable there. We've stayed at Sapphire and although we love Coki for its' intimacy and beauty we prefer Sapphire. It is very safe there being a condo resort, and the beach and water are just as beautiful. You also have great views of Tortola and St John, and boats coming and going from the Sapphire Marina. Plenty of drink/food options at the Banana Cabana and from runners on the beach, chair and floatie rentals are available at the dive center, and there is alot of natural shade along the beach.

I think you would be very happy you chose Sapphire for that day!

Thank you. I think we will go to Sapphire. I appreciate your information.

More info on Sapphire...I'm a huge fan and out of the eastern side of our cruise, it was by far our favorite port day. Sapphire is a little slice of heaven and wasn't crowded at all...even with 4 ships in port and 3 of them being the biggest ships out at that time.

If anyone is interested in reading my review of Sapphire, here it is: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1280889

At the bottom you will find a link to the pictures I took there that day.

We would not hesitate to go again and we are going to try to get back there in December (crossing fingers). :)

More info on Sapphire...I'm a huge fan and out of the eastern side of our cruise, it was by far our favorite port day. Sapphire is a little slice of heaven and wasn't crowded at all...even with 4 ships in port and 3 of them being the biggest ships out at that time.

If anyone is interested in reading my review of Sapphire, here it is: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1280889

At the bottom you will find a link to the pictures I took there that day.

We would not hesitate to go again and we are going to try to get back there in December (crossing fingers). :)

Thanks for the review and pics! My fiance and I are definitely interested in Sapphire, but neither of us have done a lot of snorkerling. We plan on trying it when we are there, but we also are interested in just having a beach day.

Are there good areas for swimming without a lot of rocks on the bottom, or is it a rocky beach overall?

We have only been to Magen's Bay in the past, where there were no rocks...but we wanted to try somewhere new this time.

There is a sandy swimming area and there are also reef and sea grass areas for snorkeling. We spent a week at Sapphire and although we're not huge snorkelers we really enjoyed our stay in this bay and would highly recommend it! Great little Banana Cabana for sandwiches and beer, and runners on the beach for pizza and buckets of beer. Bathrooms and active dive center.

You will be very happy with your visit to Sapphire, there are people there but it is not as crowded as Magens and there is no fee. Enjoy!

There is a sandy swimming area and there are also reef and sea grass areas for snorkeling. We spent a week at Sapphire and although we're not huge snorkelers we really enjoyed our stay in this bay and would highly recommend it! Great little Banana Cabana for sandwiches and beer, and runners on the beach for pizza and buckets of beer. Bathrooms and active dive center.

You will be very happy with your visit to Sapphire, there are people there but it is not as crowded as Magens and there is no fee. Enjoy!

Thanks for the info. Just what I wanted to hear :)

Thanks for the review and pics! My fiance and I are definitely interested in Sapphire, but neither of us have done a lot of snorkerling. We plan on trying it when we are there, but we also are interested in just having a beach day.

Are there good areas for swimming without a lot of rocks on the bottom, or is it a rocky beach overall?

We have only been to Magen's Bay in the past, where there were no rocks...but we wanted to try somewhere new this time.

Please see my post on this thread with pictures of all the sandy bottom areas and the snorkeling areas:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=32480934&postcount=2

We spent a lovely day at Coki Beach last week -- would go back in a heartbeat! Felt very safe, when it was time to leave there were taxis waiting right there. It cost us $9pp each way, and then we rented loungers & an umbrella for $20 total. Great snorkeling, with LOTS of fish by the rocks. The surf was not a problem at all. Beautiful beach!

Archived