Headphone Travel Theft Question

cruisedad2

Does anyone have any suggestions related to TSA or general theft prevention? Thanks!

Yes. If someone tries to walk off with your belongings say, quote, "Stop Thief!" Repeat as necessary until help arrives if you are unable to pursue the perp. Really? Are you planning to leave your stuff lying around in the airport or something.

Hi. In my original post, I did not clarify if I meant to take the headphones on the aircraft or in checked luggage. Sorry! These are noise cancelling headphones I plan to carry on the plane. Our airport is known for TSA agents stealing stuff...it was on the news. Any suggestions to avoid them taking things when I go through security would be appreciated. I don't want them scanning me, then when I cannot see my stuff, stealing it. Thanks.

Hi. In my original post, I did not clarify if I meant to take the headphones on the aircraft or in checked luggage. Sorry! These are noise cancelling headphones I plan to carry on the plane. Our airport is known for TSA agents stealing stuff...it was on the news. Any suggestions to avoid them taking things when I go through security would be appreciated. I don't want them scanning me, then when I cannot see my stuff, stealing it. Thanks.
Are you travelling alone? When I am with my husband, I wait to put any of our belongings through the machine until he has cleared the scanner and is waiting on the other side for our stuff to come out.

A couple of good things going for you. First, your airport's problem was on the news. That means they probably got rid of the offenders or at least everybody knows they are under lots of scrutiny. Second. It's headphones. They see hundreds of laptops, cameras, and things that are FAR more attractive for theft than headphones. Also, they probably see a billion sets of noise cancelling headphones every day, for people going on airlines. The chances that they would snag yours are remote, if anyone even WANTED to steal headphones.

One technique you could try would be if you're traveling with someone else, don't go through the scanner at the same time. Have one person go through 1st so as the bags come out of the scanner they will be there to watch the bags. Then have the other person go through after all of your bags have gone into the scanner.

It's a shame that your airport has these problems but reports I've read say it is more likely to occur with checked bags than carryon bags.

And I have to learn to type faster as several others said the same thing as I was composing my reply. :o :o :o

I would think if you had them in your hand when you go through security and put them in a bag and through security, unless you have something that would set the scanner off, you should be fine, they would have no reason to look in your bag. Your belongings are only out of your possession for a minute or two, and if you are like me I keep an eye on the scanner line the whole time.

I've read say it is more likely to occur with checked bags than carryon bags.

That's another good point. The "carry on" scanners and security area are wide open for all to see. The workers would have to act with Ocean's 11 style trickery to remove anything in the small amount of time people are being hustled through. On top of that, they would have to almost magically know that NO ONE further back, still waiting in the line is acquainted with you and perhaps watching your bag.

That's another good point. The "carry on" scanners and security area are wide open for all to see. The workers would have to act with Ocean's 11 style trickery to remove anything in the small amount of time people are being hustled through. On top of that, they would have to almost magically know that NO ONE further back, still waiting in the line is acquainted with you and perhaps watching your bag.
Right. Unless you've been selected for a full body check, you'll be there where your bag comes out of the scanner. You'll see it enter the scanner and exit. Not likely someone would be able to steal anything in those 4-5 feet, particularly with you standing right there. I put my most valuable things in the very bottom of my carry-on so if someone were to stick their hand in, they'd come up with incidentals rather than the good stuff. Once I'm past Security and in the boarding area, I re-arrange things so the stuff I'm going to actually use on the plane is in a smaller bag that I have with me at my seat. I put an extra lock (so there are two with different combinations) on my carry-on that's put above.

I've flown many times during the last ten years with my Bose headphones in my carry-on bag, and have never had a problem with TSA even pulling them out to examine them. I always have them in a carry-on bag that is zippered or closed with velcro. I always try to keep track of my carry-ons when they are on the conveyor belt, too.

Make sure that theft worthy items are deep within the carry-on and use a lock on your carry-on. Even with the TSA approved locks it would still take some time for someone to pull the item off the belt and unlock it to take anything. By that time your scan would be completed.

cruisedad.....

I really don't think you need to worry a lot about someone stealing your headphones. They are more apt to go for a wallet, jewelry, cash etc

Just keep your wits about you and keep an eye on your things.

I tend to place everything including headphones (Bose) in my carry-on until I get through the TSA checkpoint. The area is wide open for everyone to see, so I don't think it'll be an issue. Most of the thefts happen with checked backs going through security after you hand them to the porters or check in agents. As a note, the theft can happen anywhere during checkin, security screening, enroute to the plane, or enroute to baggage claim

Keep all your valuables in your carry-on with you. you can lock your bag going through security and if they need to open it for some reason you can open the lock and keep an eye on the proceedings.

Most thefts occur in checked bags not carry-on.

Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but as people have said, I have gone through with expensive cameras and lenses, laptops, etc., and even my wallet and watch (either one worth a whole lot more than a set of headphones) and nothing has disappeared. I watch my stuff go in the scanner, and I watch my stuff come out of the scanner. Unless some small person is inside the x-ray machine, it would be pretty hard.

Archived