Fuel Surcharge coming soon-- oil at $105 and climbing.

JPTexan82

You're probably right which would make me a smart person for having booked Thanksgiving 2013 already.:D

if you look on the fine print-- you could still be charged with it.

My fear--airline prices will go through the roof.

Well we can probably blame one certain country in the mid-east stopping sales to certain countries in Europe as helping pump up the price.

Oil has been this high before then gone backwards,,,,but that middle east deal is not boding well for a reverse.

I think the key would be how far in advance does the CCL corporation buy thier fuel and when that rates expires would probably be when the "throwing in for gas money" will kick in.

The sad thing is, when gas rises, everything/everyone will suffer. The fuel surcharge will be the least of people worries. It will be like last time, people won't be able to afford to do anything so everything else will suffer and eventually the system will collapse just like in 2008.

Fuel surcharges are not coming back. Yes, there is that small print. However, it was a complete blunder for the industry and hurt them pretty badly last time they tried it. Consumers did not like having this extra "fee" they could not budget on.

Carnival hedges for fuel prices in the futures market. Their options do not expire all at once, but rather they are staggered. This means that Carnival's fuel prices will rise and fall with long-term trends in oil prices, but not be whim of long-term fluctuations. This is basic corporate finance.

What does this mean for your cruise. If oil prices continue to go up in the long-run, which is what the future's market is currently predicting, your base cruise fare will go up as well, and probably all the "extras" on-board. But at least you can budget and have control over whether you choose to cruise and how many extras you spend money on.

just an FYI for that those that's not noticing the trend: cruise lines learned that charging a separate fuel surcharge was a bad business practice. thus, to get around this they integrated it in with the cruise fare. This is why prices for 2013/2014 are up by a $100-200+ dollars

Most company's have learned to integrated additional fees/surcharges in with the base price instead of having everything separate.

just an FYI for that those that's not noticing the trend: cruise lines learned that charging a separate fuel surcharge was a bad business practice. thus, to get around this they integrated it in with the cruise fare. This is why prices for 2013/2014 are up by a $100-200+ dollars

Most company's have learned to integrated additional fees/surcharges in with the base price instead of having everything separate.

Which makes a lot of sense. Good marketing ploy,,put that line in about paying for gas,,but then never actualy enacting it People wiil think,,,"what a great cruiseline,,they won't charge for gas." Meanwhile fares go up and things onboard go down in quality.

It's not coming anytime soon. After the Concordia, bookings are way off.

Of course, with prices of many cruises coming down, they might have to add the surcharge, but I think at the end of the day, the total price will be no different.

Even if oil goes to $300, the surcharge is limited (currently) to $9 pp per day.

Of course, long before the price gets that high, independents will be coming out of the woodwork to clean up, in more ways than one, leases abandoned by big oil as not being profitable enough.

You're right, they do have that little clause that says they can add it in, trying to remember last time if they did add it into existing bookings or not.

Airline prices are already outrageous IMHO, which caused me to book yet another Mexican Riviera cruise to Cabo, where I have a vacation home, just to get my cruise fix without paying all that additional cost. $3K to go on the Dream out of Orlando with everything included or $1400 on the Splendor. For me, it's about the journey more than the destination.

And there it is! Someone always goes there!

Im scratching my head why someone would state this as a fact, which they cant possibly know.. nothing like starting rumors. If the OP wanted to discuss it they could have asked what others think.

Some people just like to start rumors and trouble?

Better not to talk about this .. and not give Carnival ideas that people might accept it without a uproar.

Fuel surcharge is coming soon but when? Its only going higher.

The surcharge has been back for a looooong time. You just haven't noticed because instead of making it a separate charge, the cruise lines raised the actual cruise fares. :cool:

I personally doubt that the cruise industry is going to make the same mistake of making a big announcement with a bunch of hoopla about charging people more. They already tried it and it backfired. They angered A LOT of people (including myself!). People were cancelling cruises left and right because of the surcharge.

Your fear is here! DW and I bought round trip tickets last month for our AK cruise from Orlando to Seattle for $505.00pp. I just checked the exact same flight and it is $1,033.00 pp. YIKES! :eek:

Fuel surcharges are not coming back. Yes, there is that small print. However, it was a complete blunder for the industry and hurt them pretty badly last time they tried it. Consumers did not like having this extra "fee" they could not budget on.

Carnival hedges for fuel prices in the futures market. Their options do not expire all at once, but rather they are staggered. This means that Carnival's fuel prices will rise and fall with long-term trends in oil prices, but not be whim of long-term fluctuations. This is basic corporate finance.

What does this mean for your cruise. If oil prices continue to go up in the long-run, which is what the future's market is currently predicting, your base cruise fare will go up as well, and probably all the "extras" on-board. But at least you can budget and have control over whether you choose to cruise and how many extras you spend money on.

I read a couple of times that Carnival Corporation doesn't hedge, but Royal Caribbean does. It might have changed.

What market are you watching? US Markets were closed today in observance of President's Day.

London Stock Exchange where bent wass traded, there is more than one market in the World. Not all of the world observe's Presidents day thats only a United States holiday. Just to let you know.

Archived