Reidel glasses

I read that the Reidel glasses are used for the Chef's Table. I was wondering if you can request them in the Main Dining Room?

We did the workshop on Celebrity (loved, loved it. so much fun) and found out that you could request the glasses at dinner, even if you don't take the workshop.

thanks,

Kelly

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Reidel has several different wine glasses designed to be used with a particular varietal, such as Pinot Noir or Chardonnay. Celebrity offers a workshop where you taste different wines in different glasses and compare it to a "regular" wine glass. It has to do with the shape of the glass and where the wine hits your tongue. Really fascinating and quite eye-opening.

I believe the workshop is only offered on Celebrity ships, but since the glasses appear to be used in the speciality restaurants, I wondered if they could be requested in the MDR.

I read that the Reidel glasses are used for the Chef's Table. I was wondering if you can request them in the Main Dining Room?

We did the workshop on Celebrity (loved, loved it. so much fun) and found out that you could request the glasses at dinner, even if you don't take the workshop.

thanks,

Kelly

I’ve never seen them in the dining room on RCCL and have never seen any particular glasses for a specific type of wine. Just generic red or white wine glasses.

Years ago, while in a longer Jewel sailing, some upgraded glasses were offered after we order a premium bottle of wine. Nothing really special – just some larger Bordeaux glasses.

Never thought to ask on RCCL or Celebrity. Once in a while, we order a “good” bottle and the glasses would be a nice treat.

Please report back on your experience.

Cheers

M

Hi I know what Reidel glasses are and agree they make a great glass of wine out of this world. I have tried to get them on Allure, Oasis and Mariner. I finally was told they only use them if you order wine that costs more than $150 per bottle. We ordered a glass of Caymus Reserve at Vintages and had to beg for the Reidel glasses. We did not request them in the main dining room because it would have been such a big deal. They are so expensive and cannot stand up to the dishwashers abuse. I am thinking about taking my own -- if I can carry a hat, I can carry a wine glass box. My DH thinks I'm nuts about the hats and the wine glasses, but he loves my anyway.:D

Margee

You would not see them on Royal- as previous poster stated- they do not dishwash and also due to the expense- not worth the risk of breaking for the cruiseline- They absolutely make a difference in the taste of your glass of wine- we did the testing class on Celebrity as well and are now royal Reidel users- I would bring your own if possible

I love mine at home, but rarely use them. They are very thin and can break easily.

(I know, as I have been heart broken at several of their partings of this earth :( )

I now like using the various logo glasses I pick up at wineries we visit. Always brings

back memories! I just got back from a week's tour of Sonoma last week, and hand

carried two logo glasses from a couple of favorite wineries back with me on the plane.

Even survived being shoved into my carry on in the bin. I am guessing you should

not have any problems hand carrying on your own glasses.

We like taking our own coffee travel mugs on board! ;)

And yes, the DH prefers his beer out of the bottle too. :D

I love mine at home, but rarely use them. They are very thin and can break easily.

(I know, as I have been heart broken at several of their partings of this earth :( )

I now like using the various logo glasses I pick up at wineries we visit. Always brings

back memories! I just got back from a week's tour of Sonoma last week, and hand

carried two logo glasses from a couple of favorite wineries back with me on the plane.

Even survived being shoved into my carry on in the bin. I am guessing you should

not have any problems hand carrying on your own glasses.

We like taking our own coffee travel mugs on board! ;)

And yes, the DH prefers his beer out of the bottle too. :D

island lady, margeecruiser, and leepep,

I thought about bringing them, but thought it might be a bit extreme, even for me! Plus my husband would probably make me carry them--he already teases me to be careful every time I get them out. :p

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Looking forward to our first cruise on Oasis.

Kelly

Depending on where you are sailing out you might be able to pick them up near the port. I've seen the glasses at TJ Maxx, Ross & Marshalls for a very reasonable price. There is a TJ Maxx blocks from Port Everglades in Ft Lauderdale. We did dine at the Chef's Table in October and used them along with the unlimited vino. It was wonderful.

island lady, margeecruiser, and leepep,

I thought about bringing them, but thought it might be a bit extreme, even for me! Plus my husband would probably make me carry them--he already teases me to be careful every time I get them out. :p

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Looking forward to our first cruise on Oasis.

Kelly

You are most welome! Enjoy both your cruise and the new wines you find...in

any glass you find! ;)

A few years back, we were on Navigator at Vintages and they had a deal where we ordered an expensive bottle of wine (~$150) and were given 2 Riedel logo glasses as part of the package. We kept them in our cabin and took them to every venue where we could order wine. They allowed us to use these glasses. We still have them.

Will

At one time I would have laughed at the thought of hauling wine glasses, but many years ago I bought a pair of very cheap (but still glass) champagne flutes with the idea of enjoying our bubbly the night before our flight & abandoning them at the hotel. At the last minute I balked at abandoning them in Newark, so now they have traveled enough to almost need their own passports! Hmmm..it might be a good weekend for mimosas!

Riedel actually makes a party tube of glasses made for traveling. I think 4 come in the set in their own convenient cardboard tube. They also have sets of 2 glasses in a smaller tube. My favorite are the stemless since they aren't as fragile (knock wood).

Hi I know what Reidel glasses are and agree they make a great glass of wine out of this world. We ordered a glass of Caymus Reserve at Vintages and had to beg for the Reidel glasses.

Margee

We have friends crazy for spending big bucks on Caymus - can't stop laughing. Do a web search, it's just a wine and like some other "cult" brands people are spending absurd amounts of money to pretend to be wine snobs. That vineyard (Caymus) has hit the jackpot, making any old wine and charging 10 times what others are. Now it's apparently spread to the GLASS making it taste better in order to charge more for that!:rolleyes: There's always a market for people wanting to throw their money around for nothing.

We have friends crazy for spending big bucks on Caymus - can't stop laughing. Do a web search, it's just a wine and like some other "cult" brands people are spending absurd amounts of money to pretend to be wine snobs. That vineyard (Caymus) has hit the jackpot, making any old wine and charging 10 times what others are. Now it's apparently spread to the GLASS making it taste better in order to charge more for that!:rolleyes: There's always a market for people wanting to throw their money around for nothing.

What does it say about me that I enjoy drinking my $3.00 Charles Shaw (2 buck chuck) in my Riedel Vinum Stems? Somehow it makes my wine taste like Caymus. Seems like a better investment in the stems and I can buy quite a few bottles of wine before I have the price of one bottle of Caymus Reserve. That's my logic anyway :)

Hi I know what Reidel glasses are and agree they make a great glass of wine out of this world.

Margee

We have Riedel glasses and I don't notice the wine tasting any differently. Will do a blind taste test today.

However, what makes a huge difference to us is a proper decanter. We do blind taste tests comparing decanted wine with wine straight from the bottle and pretty much 100% of the time people can tell the difference.

Archived